Old 08-07-2016, 08:36 PM   #61
Guru

City: Fort Pierce
Vessel Name: Florita Ann
Vessel Model: 1982 Present
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadMistress View Post
But the insurance companies want to know whether the all the systems on the boat that impact the boat's safety meet ABYC standards... which is why they require condition and value surveys.

And btw, ABYC standards are not "codes"...There's no legal requirement to meet them, and even boat builders, including those who are ABYC members, ignore some of them...like (my pet peeve) putting toilet intake thru-hulls in totally INaccessible locations because seacocks detract from the decor.

See post 54 for my added perspective. I respect ABYC, but the ins company is the one with the hammer.

Mule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 08:53 PM   #62
Guru

City: Port Credit
Vessel Name: DIRT FREE
Vessel Model: Benford Fantail 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadMistress View Post
including those who are ABYC members, ignore some of them...like (my pet peeve) putting toilet intake thru-hulls in totally INaccessible locations because seacocks detract from the decor.
How about this dangerous ventilation system contrary to ABYC (and the law in Canada) but there is a label on the boat stating it is compliant with Transport Canada requirements and and another label saying that it is NMMA compliant and yet another stating ABYC compliance and (it boggles the mind) ..... a CO warning label.

Nobody is watching these guys and they lie.
Attached Images

boatpoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 11:42 PM   #63
Guru

City: Port Townsend Washington
Vessel Name: " OTTER "
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander Europa 40
To the O. P, install a new induction top as they actually do cook better than propane.

We have had a boat with both a propane stove/oven AND at propane refer.. if I had the choice I would only have propane for a bbq. On a boat the size the O.P wants one either runs a genset to make power or has a acre of solar panels.

Many sailors resist use of a genset as they cannot get over the mindset that they covet every ounce of diesel in the tanks as gold..that changes with time or they get out of power boats..or it drives them nuts.

Re houseboats and propane refers...most have no accessable bilge below the main cabin sole.. most have silding glass doors at both ends of the boat ( no tub effect). Ironically its gas gensets that kill more folks on houseboats ..not propane
Hollywood
hollywood8118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 03:50 AM   #64
Guru

City: Walnut Grove Ca
Vessel Name: Cary'D Away
Vessel Model: Hatteras 48 LRC
Just for comment, the Walnut Grove marina fire that burns up a bunch of boats was caused by a propane refrigerator on a house boat. It will be interesting. To see what the insurance companies will do with this one. I believe everything is still in the air.
Scary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 09:18 AM   #65
Guru

City: AR
Re houseboats and propane refers...most have no accessable bilge below the main cabin sole..

That was true of houseboats built in the '60s and 70's--some are even on pontoons...and there were still a few builders of "step down" (saloon up with a stateroom below, everything else down) houseboats through the '80s and '90s, but most of 'em today are anywhere from 70-150' long with 4' deep "basements" and can even be two story with an enclosed sundeck The inland lakes and rivers in the south are littered with 'em. Google "houseboats" and you'll see some floating aluminum tin cans that'll boggle your mind!

Ironically its gas gensets that kill more folks on houseboats ..not propane

Yup..and the victims are often people who don't know any better than to swim behind a boat right next the genset exhaust.

HeadMistress is offline   Reply With Quote