Condensation pan draining

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Name
M/V Sherpa
Vessel Make
24' Vashon Diesel Cruiser
My trawler has a 5000 BTU Webasto marine air conditioner. The unit works great and keeps the cabin/V-berth cool and warm.

I crawled under the galley counter/cabinets last night to inspect the unit and noticed that the pan has not been draining as it should because the unit is at a slight angle. The pan is stainless but it appears Webasto used some non-stainless steel nuts/washers to secure that secure the compressor to the pan. Not sure why they would skimp on this but they are rusted and need replacing. I called Wabasto to bring this to their attention--maybe they'll send me some replacement hardware.

I'm going to purchase a "Mermaid Condensator" to empty my condensate pan by pulling the water from the pan into the AC cooling water flow and out the through hull. It is presently draining into the bilge, which is not ideal.

Anyone use this draining system?

Last edited by a moderator:
We have something similar to what you describe. A small flexable pickup hose in the pan that leads to a syphon device that is installed in the AC cooling water output hose that utilizes a venturi to suck the pan water out. Works well. You can hear a slight "slurping" sound if you know what to listen for. The small pickup hose has a small cleanable filter inline that I relocated to under the vanity sink to facilitate cleaning.

I have 2 marine air units & both drain condensate into the bilge. I've purchased a shower drain box that I intend to plumb the drains into along with the shower drain. This will replace the existing diaphram shower drain pump.

On my Blackfin is a 5000 btu unit with heat strips in the bow. It drains in similar fashion, and works well.

I use 2 mermaid condensators. I have had them installed for 2 years and have had no issues, just dry pans.

Sent from my iPhone using Trawler Forum

Having used 2 Condensators from Mermaid Air on (2) Marine Airr 16,000 BTU units I can tell you it's the way to go. It's pretty much install it and almost forget it. There is an in line small strainer that will need bi-annual cleaning. Other than that I haven't had a problem with either unit that uses this to discharge the condensate water out with the AC units raw water source. Shower sumps are prone to needing service enough when they are fed with a shower. I like leaving the shower sump for the shower water's discharge.
As for dumping AC units condensate directly into the bilge your boat will stink and you will get mold in the bilge.
Bill

We have something similar to what you describe. A small flexable pickup hose in the pan that leads to a syphon device that is installed in the AC cooling water output hose that utilizes a venturi to suck the pan water out. Works well. You can hear a slight "slurping" sound if you know what to listen for. The small pickup hose has a small cleanable filter inline that I relocated to under the vanity sink to facilitate cleaning.

HeyJude: can you tell us what specifically you use please...and with what a/c unit?
thanks

Should not be a problem mating w/any unit. You cut outgoing seawater hose and insert. Put the pickup to pan drain hole.

I have seen those. My experience has been perfect. It is a high quality brass valve. I think that if it is installed properly and filter looked at regularly, it should work forever. Any maintenance required is user done. It does lower the efficiency of the a/c unit by about 10% due to less water flow. I have not found that to be an issue on my 2 16k BTU units.

I ran mine into my existing shower sump boxes and forgot about them. Total cost a few of hose and a couple of clamps.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Trawler

Can't argue with that. When I purchased boat some idiot had run to shower sump, uphill! Naturally gravity won out and I had floor puddles. Not wanting to dump in bilge, led me to the Mermaid product.

Our Cuisair units have the "slurper" hoses in the pans, which pull the condensate into the discharge water via venture action. The only problem is that some of the hardware in the pan has started to rust and shows up as a rust stain on either the side of the boat where the raw water discharges. I like the idea of simply draining the condensate into one of the shower sumps (which exits at the rear of the boat and out of sight). One of these days I'll attend to the rusting hardware...

The Kent venturi for fish tanks run about $25 and have worked well the few months I have had them installed. Had to buy a couple barb connectors but all done for about $30 a piece.

Kent Marine Black Turbo Venturi - 3/4 inch

The Mermaid costs about 250, it must be better, right? Lol

So what's the deal with having a filter on the outgoing condensate drain? If you're "slurping" the condensate for discharge why would you need to filter it?

Stuff can get in the pan and you don't want a blockage be ause you'd be assuming the water is leaving the pan when it isn't

So what's the deal with having a filter on the outgoing condensate drain? If you're "slurping" the condensate for discharge why would you need to filter it?
The filter is to keep dust, lint, rust particals from the older pans, paint chips and mold from clogging the one way check valve to the Venturi device. Thecheck valve is very similar to the red valves used in Raritan PuraSan MSD units.
Bill

Last edited:
I would think twice before using the shower sump. What happens if the sump fails and you get water backed up and the drain lines you just ran are the path of least resistance?
You could get water all over the floor sure you aren't going to flood the boat but it could be costly to repair moldy carpet or flooring.
Bill

We had one, always clogged, never worked. We just let'em drain into the bilge.

We had one, always clogged, never worked. We just let'em drain into the bilge.
I used 2 since 2006 only clogged if I didn't clean the filters twice a season my season is 8 months out of the year. I thought is was a good product that was reliable. In fact more reliable than the shower sump which needs cleaning every other week.
Bill

My shower sump and everyone I have worked on will just overflow into the bilge rather than backup into the shower drain....

My boat and vote is shower sump if you don't already have the venturis...much simpler in the long run. But every boat is laid out different and for some the venturis might be more practical.

If your shower sumps are an issue then sure...venturi to your heart's delight.

Me...I just don't have that much of an issue with the shower sump and I have 2 living aboard full time. If the shower sump has an issue...it's 99% from showering, soap and hair...not A/C condensate.

I agree the shower sump issues are not from AC condensate but shower sumps are still high maintenance devices. Also on my rear AC unit it would be almost a 25 foot run uphill for the Salon AC pan discharge so it wouldn't be practical to run it to the shower sump. My front AC unit could be run to the sump if I chose that method.
I'm just saying I have had good luck with the Mermaid venturi AC condensate removal systems.
Now on my Gulfstar I'm installing a 1.25 ton heat pump unit and the condensate goes into a 1 gallon plastic container. I'll probably be dumping it in the shower sump or directly overboard. It's an entirely different system than my Mainship dual Marine Airr 16k BTU reverse AC units.
Bill

Just rig a small bilge pump and float in the container....and because of the small amount...you could probably "T" it in a lot of places....plus having another tiny bilge pump never hurts for overall capacity of for general use.

Can't fit one in the container? Use a baitwell external one like I was going to on my old shower sump.

Maybe even better...doesn't whale have some kind of pump that when enough water fills the tube just above the pump it cycles and discharges? I haven't looked into them too much but they are supposed to replace shower sumps...probably pricey for all you want it to do..but it may be a install and forget for the life of your boat...could be sweet.

Just rig a small bilge pump and float in the container....and because of the small amount...you could probably "T" it in a lot of places....plus having another tiny bilge pump never hurts for overall capacity of for general use.

Can't fit one in the container? Use a baitwell external one like I was going to on my old shower sump.

Maybe even better...doesn't whale have some kind of pump that when enough water fills the tube just above the pump it cycles and discharges? I haven't looked into them too much but they are supposed to replace shower sumps...probably pricey for all you want it to do..but it may be a install and forget for the life of your boat...could be sweet.
I dumped the Whale shower sump system about 5 years ago it was a real POS. It used a tube to cycle the pump in the sump! I replaced it with a RULE shower sump box that is more reliable. Actually I never got to the bottom of the problem with the Whale system it would dead short when it failed taking more than just the shower sump off line. It acted like a shorted diode when it failed. It was completely replaced 2 times by the factory before I threw it out.
Bill

...Me...I just don't have that much of an issue with the shower sump and I have 2 living aboard full time. If the shower sump has an issue...it's 99% from showering, soap and hair...not A/C condensate.

:thumb: We have a the Rule 800 G.P.H. Shower Drain Kit w/Multi-Port Inlet. We use the 1 1/4" inlet for the shower drain and the 2-3/4" inlets for our 2 AC units. The pump and switch reliability? We can save that for another thread. :)

Attachments

• 10530229_1[1].jpg
    10530229_1[1].jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 73
The RULE 800 GPH shower sump box is what I replaced the Whale system with. It's been great the filter catches all the shower debris and it's fairly easy to clean if mounted correctly.
As I mentioned with heavy daily use it needs to be cleaned every two weeks.
Keeping the sump cleaned I use simple green once all the hair and sludge are removed to clean the entire sump out. Also it helps to remove the pump from it's base and clean the entire pump vanes and the basket strainer the pump mounts to. If you do that you shouldn't have to replace the float switch or the 800GPH pump.
Bill

Last edited:
I have replaced two of that model after 2 years on two different boats. Another reason I don't put the A/C though it. I hear Johnson pump is better.

I have replaced two of that model after 2 years on two different boats. Another reason I don't put the A/C though it. I hear Johnson pump is better.

I have a Johnson 1000gph sump system. I was thinking of trying it in my Gulfstar.
It looks pretty robust for a shower sump.
Bill

Back
Top Bottom