Old 11-30-2013, 10:55 AM   #1

City: St. Petersburg, Florida
Vessel Name: M/V Sherpa
Vessel Model: 24' Vashon Diesel Cruiser
Condensation pan draining

My trawler has a 5000 BTU Webasto marine air conditioner. The unit works great and keeps the cabin/V-berth cool and warm.

I crawled under the galley counter/cabinets last night to inspect the unit and noticed that the pan has not been draining as it should because the unit is at a slight angle. The pan is stainless but it appears Webasto used some non-stainless steel nuts/washers to secure that secure the compressor to the pan. Not sure why they would skimp on this but they are rusted and need replacing. I called Wabasto to bring this to their attention--maybe they'll send me some replacement hardware.

I'm going to purchase a "Mermaid Condensator" to empty my condensate pan by pulling the water from the pan into the AC cooling water flow and out the through hull. It is presently draining into the bilge, which is not ideal.

Anyone use this draining system?

Old 11-30-2013, 11:37 AM   #2

City: Boerne, Tx
Vessel Name: HEY JUDE
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 36 Manatee #46
We have something similar to what you describe. A small flexable pickup hose in the pan that leads to a syphon device that is installed in the AC cooling water output hose that utilizes a venturi to suck the pan water out. Works well. You can hear a slight "slurping" sound if you know what to listen for. The small pickup hose has a small cleanable filter inline that I relocated to under the vanity sink to facilitate cleaning.

HEY JUDE, a 1986 Kadey Krogen 36 Manatee, #46 of 99. After 13 yrs on Lake Travis she's on Clear Lake TX being prepped for coastal cruising.
HeyJude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 01:25 PM   #3
Guru

City: UMR MM283
Vessel Name: Northern Lights II
Vessel Model: Bayliner 3870
I have 2 marine air units & both drain condensate into the bilge. I've purchased a shower drain box that I intend to plumb the drains into along with the shower drain. This will replace the existing diaphram shower drain pump.
Old 11-30-2013, 03:08 PM   #4
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
On my Blackfin is a 5000 btu unit with heat strips in the bow. It drains in similar fashion, and works well.
http://moonstruckblog.wordpress.com/
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 08:00 AM   #5
Veteran Member

City: Easton, MD
Vessel Name: Happy Thought
Vessel Model: Mariner Seville 37/Helmsman 38
I use 2 mermaid condensators. I have had them installed for 2 years and have had no issues, just dry pans.

Sent from my iPhone using Trawler Forum
Happy Thought is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 08:30 AM   #6
Guru

City: Tuckerton, NJ
Vessel Name: WIRELESS ONE
Vessel Model: 36 Gulstar MarkII
Having used 2 Condensators from Mermaid Air on (2) Marine Airr 16,000 BTU units I can tell you it's the way to go. It's pretty much install it and almost forget it. There is an in line small strainer that will need bi-annual cleaning. Other than that I haven't had a problem with either unit that uses this to discharge the condensate water out with the AC units raw water source. Shower sumps are prone to needing service enough when they are fed with a shower. I like leaving the shower sump for the shower water's discharge.
As for dumping AC units condensate directly into the bilge your boat will stink and you will get mold in the bilge.
Bill
Billylll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 12:37 PM   #7
Guru

City: sydney
Vessel Name: Aquabelle
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander Flushdeck
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude View Post
We have something similar to what you describe. A small flexable pickup hose in the pan that leads to a syphon device that is installed in the AC cooling water output hose that utilizes a venturi to suck the pan water out. Works well. You can hear a slight "slurping" sound if you know what to listen for. The small pickup hose has a small cleanable filter inline that I relocated to under the vanity sink to facilitate cleaning.
HeyJude: can you tell us what specifically you use please...and with what a/c unit?
thanks
Aquabelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 12:39 PM   #8
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billylll View Post
Having used 2 Condensators from Mermaid Air on (2) Marine Airr 16,000 BTU units I can tell you it's the way to go. Bill
Bill: no problems/issues in mating the Memaid Condensators to the MarineAirr units?

thanks
Old 06-22-2014, 12:48 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Should not be a problem mating w/any unit. You cut outgoing seawater hose and insert. Put the pickup to pan drain hole.

Old 06-22-2014, 12:50 PM   #10
Guru

Found very mixed reviews of this device here: Mermaid condensator - Cruisers & Sailing Forums
Old 06-22-2014, 01:35 PM   #11
Veteran Member

I have seen those. My experience has been perfect. It is a high quality brass valve. I think that if it is installed properly and filter looked at regularly, it should work forever. Any maintenance required is user done. It does lower the efficiency of the a/c unit by about 10% due to less water flow. I have not found that to be an issue on my 2 16k BTU units.

Old 06-22-2014, 01:48 PM   #12
Guru

City: Windsor
Vessel Name: Keeper IV
Vessel Model: 44 Viking ACMY
I ran mine into my existing shower sump boxes and forgot about them. Total cost a few of hose and a couple of clamps.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Trawler

mbevins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 01:55 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Can't argue with that. When I purchased boat some idiot had run to shower sump, uphill! Naturally gravity won out and I had floor puddles. Not wanting to dump in bilge, led me to the Mermaid product.

Old 06-22-2014, 01:58 PM   #14
Guru

Our Cuisair units have the "slurper" hoses in the pans, which pull the condensate into the discharge water via venture action. The only problem is that some of the hardware in the pan has started to rust and shows up as a rust stain on either the side of the boat where the raw water discharges. I like the idea of simply draining the condensate into one of the shower sumps (which exits at the rear of the boat and out of sight). One of these days I'll attend to the rusting hardware...
Underway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 03:17 PM   #15
TF Site Team

City: Houston
Vessel Name: Baobab
Vessel Model: Bayliner 4788
The Kent venturi for fish tanks run about $25 and have worked well the few months I have had them installed. Had to buy a couple barb connectors but all done for about $30 a piece.

Kent Marine Black Turbo Venturi - 3/4 inch
Old 06-22-2014, 03:20 PM   #16
Veteran Member

The Mermaid costs about 250, it must be better, right? Lol

Old 06-22-2014, 03:29 PM   #17

City: Marion, SC
So what's the deal with having a filter on the outgoing condensate drain? If you're "slurping" the condensate for discharge why would you need to filter it?
Dream Trawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 03:35 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Stuff can get in the pan and you don't want a blockage be ause you'd be assuming the water is leaving the pan when it isn't

Old 06-22-2014, 07:15 PM   #19
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dream Trawl View Post
So what's the deal with having a filter on the outgoing condensate drain? If you're "slurping" the condensate for discharge why would you need to filter it?
The filter is to keep dust, lint, rust particals from the older pans, paint chips and mold from clogging the one way check valve to the Venturi device. Thecheck valve is very similar to the red valves used in Raritan PuraSan MSD units.
Bill
Old 06-22-2014, 07:21 PM   #20
Guru

I would think twice before using the shower sump. What happens if the sump fails and you get water backed up and the drain lines you just ran are the path of least resistance?
You could get water all over the floor sure you aren't going to flood the boat but it could be costly to repair moldy carpet or flooring.
Bill