Old 06-22-2014, 07:23 PM   #21
Guru

City: South FL
Vessel Name: Oliver
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 47 Hull# 12
We had one, always clogged, never worked. We just let'em drain into the bilge.

Nordhavn 47 Hull #12
N4712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 07:37 PM   #22
Guru

City: Tuckerton, NJ
Vessel Name: WIRELESS ONE
Vessel Model: 36 Gulstar MarkII
Quote:
Originally Posted by N4712 View Post
We had one, always clogged, never worked. We just let'em drain into the bilge.
I used 2 since 2006 only clogged if I didn't clean the filters twice a season my season is 8 months out of the year. I thought is was a good product that was reliable. In fact more reliable than the shower sump which needs cleaning every other week.
Bill

Billylll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 08:50 PM   #23
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
My shower sump and everyone I have worked on will just overflow into the bilge rather than backup into the shower drain....

My boat and vote is shower sump if you don't already have the venturis...much simpler in the long run. But every boat is laid out different and for some the venturis might be more practical.

If your shower sumps are an issue then sure...venturi to your heart's delight.

Me...I just don't have that much of an issue with the shower sump and I have 2 living aboard full time. If the shower sump has an issue...it's 99% from showering, soap and hair...not A/C condensate.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 09:04 PM   #24
Guru

I agree the shower sump issues are not from AC condensate but shower sumps are still high maintenance devices. Also on my rear AC unit it would be almost a 25 foot run uphill for the Salon AC pan discharge so it wouldn't be practical to run it to the shower sump. My front AC unit could be run to the sump if I chose that method.
I'm just saying I have had good luck with the Mermaid venturi AC condensate removal systems.
Now on my Gulfstar I'm installing a 1.25 ton heat pump unit and the condensate goes into a 1 gallon plastic container. I'll probably be dumping it in the shower sump or directly overboard. It's an entirely different system than my Mainship dual Marine Airr 16k BTU reverse AC units.
Bill
Old 06-22-2014, 09:17 PM   #25
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Just rig a small bilge pump and float in the container....and because of the small amount...you could probably "T" it in a lot of places....plus having another tiny bilge pump never hurts for overall capacity of for general use.

Can't fit one in the container? Use a baitwell external one like I was going to on my old shower sump.

Maybe even better...doesn't whale have some kind of pump that when enough water fills the tube just above the pump it cycles and discharges? I haven't looked into them too much but they are supposed to replace shower sumps...probably pricey for all you want it to do..but it may be a install and forget for the life of your boat...could be sweet.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 09:26 PM   #26
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
Just rig a small bilge pump and float in the container....and because of the small amount...you could probably "T" it in a lot of places....plus having another tiny bilge pump never hurts for overall capacity of for general use.

Can't fit one in the container? Use a baitwell external one like I was going to on my old shower sump.

Maybe even better...doesn't whale have some kind of pump that when enough water fills the tube just above the pump it cycles and discharges? I haven't looked into them too much but they are supposed to replace shower sumps...probably pricey for all you want it to do..but it may be a install and forget for the life of your boat...could be sweet.
I dumped the Whale shower sump system about 5 years ago it was a real POS. It used a tube to cycle the pump in the sump! I replaced it with a RULE shower sump box that is more reliable. Actually I never got to the bottom of the problem with the Whale system it would dead short when it failed taking more than just the shower sump off line. It acted like a shorted diode when it failed. It was completely replaced 2 times by the factory before I threw it out.
Bill
Old 06-23-2014, 07:58 AM   #27
TF Site Team

City: JAX, FL
Vessel Name: Hobo
Vessel Model: Krogen 42-120
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
...Me...I just don't have that much of an issue with the shower sump and I have 2 living aboard full time. If the shower sump has an issue...it's 99% from showering, soap and hair...not A/C condensate.
We have a the Rule 800 G.P.H. Shower Drain Kit w/Multi-Port Inlet. We use the 1 1/4" inlet for the shower drain and the 2-3/4" inlets for our 2 AC units. The pump and switch reliability? We can save that for another thread.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	10530229_1[1].jpg
Views:	51
Size:	23.8 KB
ID:	30772  
Larry M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 08:08 AM   #28
Guru

The RULE 800 GPH shower sump box is what I replaced the Whale system with. It's been great the filter catches all the shower debris and it's fairly easy to clean if mounted correctly.
As I mentioned with heavy daily use it needs to be cleaned every two weeks.
Keeping the sump cleaned I use simple green once all the hair and sludge are removed to clean the entire sump out. Also it helps to remove the pump from it's base and clean the entire pump vanes and the basket strainer the pump mounts to. If you do that you shouldn't have to replace the float switch or the 800GPH pump.
Bill
Old 06-23-2014, 08:19 AM   #29
Veteran Member

City: Easton, MD
Vessel Name: Happy Thought
Vessel Model: Mariner Seville 37/Helmsman 38
I have replaced two of that model after 2 years on two different boats. Another reason I don't put the A/C though it. I hear Johnson pump is better.

Sent from my iPhone using Trawler Forum
Happy Thought is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 08:49 AM   #30
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Thought View Post
I have replaced two of that model after 2 years on two different boats. Another reason I don't put the A/C though it. I hear Johnson pump is better.

Sent from my iPhone using Trawler Forum
I have a Johnson 1000gph sump system. I was thinking of trying it in my Gulfstar.
It looks pretty robust for a shower sump.
Bill