Old 05-07-2016, 05:40 PM   #1

City: Bellingham, WA
Vessel Name: Excellent Adventure
Vessel Model: 1995 Jefferson Ker Shine 45
Combo washer dryer

The boat we are in the process of buying used to have a washer/dryer combo but that was taken out by one of the previous owners. The space and plumbing is still there.

Seeing that it has been almost 20 years since the original w/d combo was installed I assume that they have (maybe) gotten better. Before I use the space for something else does anyone have any insight, comments, experience using the newer w/d combinations? Are they worth putting back into the boat?

The weekly trip to the laundromat gets old quick, especially in lousy weather (and I am lazy).

Thanks
wwestman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 05:56 PM   #2
Guru

City: Windsor
Vessel Name: Keeper IV
Vessel Model: 44 Viking ACMY
We have one . Wouldn't live without it. I would put a new unit in.
mbevins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 06:22 PM   #3
Ted
Guru

City: Campbell River
Vessel Name: Okisollo
If you have room? We put in front loader stacking units

Ted
Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 06:26 PM   #4

City: Bellingham, WA
Vessel Name: Excellent Adventure
Vessel Model: 1995 Jefferson Ker Shine 45
Don't have room for stackables, that would be my first choice. Only have room for a combo type.
wwestman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 07:23 PM   #5
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
If that's the case get a vented one. Having a w/d on board is so nice!

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 07:27 PM   #6
THD
Guru

City: Seattle
I would second the vented one. As I recall, there was a thread sometime back where the same issue came up and several commented that the dyer was much more effective in the vented unit.
THD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 07:27 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

City: Chicago, IL
Vessel Name: Bay Pelican
Vessel Model: Krogen 42
We have a 10 year old Splendide combo. The vented unit. This is a 110v unit and we love it. Used almost daily. As with any combo unit to dry clothes you need to remove half of a full load of wash. This is a matter of physics. A wash load can fill the tub, a dry load must leave half the tub empty. With separate units this is accomplished by having a larger tub for the dryer.

A 110v dryer takes a long time. Some folks like 220v units. On most North American boats this means running the generator (or shore power) for both the wash and dry cycles. A lot of generator run time.

With our 110 volt unit we can run the wash cycle on the inverter. This is a real benefit for us. The combo unit wash cycle runs from 60 minutes to 80 minutes depending on whether we run the express or regular cycle.

Water usage is another issue. The regular cycle uses 11 US gallons of water. Less for the express cycle.
Old 05-08-2016, 07:28 AM   #8
FF
Guru

"Seeing that it has been almost 20 years since the original w/d combo was installed I assume that they have (maybe) gotten better"

The hassle is weather you are dockside and can provide dryer power for hours on end.

20 years has not changed the amount of energy that is required to evaporate water.

Washing underway with a line drying would be fine , its done all over Euroland on family working boats.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 08:04 AM   #9
TF Site Team

City: Jacksonville
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bay Pelican View Post
We have a 10 year old Splendide combo. The vented unit. This is a 110v unit and we love it. Used almost daily. As with any combo unit to dry clothes you need to remove half of a full load of wash. This is a matter of physics. A wash load can fill the tub, a dry load must leave half the tub empty. With separate units this is accomplished by having a larger tub for the dryer.

A 110v dryer takes a long time. Some folks like 220v units. On most North American boats this means running the generator (or shore power) for both the wash and dry cycles. A lot of generator run time.

With our 110 volt unit we can run the wash cycle on the inverter. This is a real benefit for us. The combo unit wash cycle runs from 60 minutes to 80 minutes depending on whether we run the express or regular cycle.

Water usage is another issue. The regular cycle uses 11 US gallons of water. Less for the express cycle.
What he said. We have the Splendide 2100XC vented model and love it. We use the dryer a lot in winter time just to dry towels after showering. 20 minutes and they're dry. For wet heavy stuff the dryer sucks for the most part but you get use to it. For $1,000, it's worth every penny.
Larry M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 09:37 AM   #10
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
We were fortunate to have stacking Maytag units, 240v, so we got drying performance just like at home in a smaller package. Cruising and living full time on moorings and anchor for long periods of time, we simply combined our laundry use time with things like cooking, charging batteries, dishwasher... that is, during the morning and evening generator time.

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 10:53 AM   #11
Guru

City: Inside Passage Summer/Columbia River Winter
Vessel Name: Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Model: 1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry M View Post

What he said. We have the Splendide 2100XC vented model and love it. We use the dryer a lot in winter time just to dry towels after showering. 20 minutes and they're dry. For wet heavy stuff the dryer sucks for the most part but you get use to it. For $1,000, it's worth every penny.
Us too. In fact doing a load now
Alaskan Sea-Duction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 11:00 AM   #12
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
If you want to look at a faster, although more expensive unit, than Splendide, then Miele is worth looking at. If you have the space and place to install it, then I'd go to some form of traditional stackable units.

Regardless, even the Splendide is so far superior to the option of lugging laundry all around. If typically it was just the two of us, one would be more than adequate and they're great machines.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 12:00 PM   #13
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in the Great Lakes
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry M View Post

Have one on my boat and am very happy with it.

Trick to boat laundry is think about whether there is a load to do every time you have an extended run on the generator. As soon as you plug in shore power, do laundry. It's a different mind set from living in a house.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 12:48 PM   #14
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by O C Diver View Post
Have one on my boat and am very happy with it.

Trick to boat laundry is think about whether there is a load to do every time you have an extended run on the generator. As soon as you plug in shore power, do laundry. It's a different mind set from living in a house.

Ted
So true. Don't let it pile up. We're doing the canals right now and do a load of laundry along the way most days plus one at night. Frequent small loads. Makes sorting simpler. The key to the Splendide from the little bit of time we used ours was simply not to overload. The lack of speed with most boaters will not be a problem. It's not as if there is any work for you to do while it washes and dries. Actually less work in a combo unit than traditional, just takes longer. However, the time it takes really is inconsequential.
Old 05-08-2016, 02:08 PM   #15
Guru

City: Stuart FL
Vessel Name: Lucky Lucky
Vessel Model: Pacific Mariner 65
I'll post this once again as a helpful tip to those of you with Splendide washer/dryers. We have one and use it frequently as we live aboard. One time, a little piece of clothing didn't make it all the way through the door when loading the machine. The door closed on it and we started the wash cycle unaware of the stuck piece of clothing. All was well until the level of the water reached the door seal and began leaking out.

We had a bit of a flood before we noticed it. We immediately stopped the machine however the water kept leaking out. Since the machine was stopped mid-cycle, the door was locked and could not be opened. The manual was handy but there was no mention about this kind of incident.

We called Splendide and were lucky enough to get a tech on the phone immediately. Now, should you ever need to open the door mid-cycle, here's what to do;
Remove the kick plate at the bottom of the machine--it pulls off. On the right hand side you will see a string hanging down. Pull the string down and the door will unlock. Suggest you file this away in your Murphy's Law book.
hmason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 06:44 PM   #16
Guru

City: kemah
another tip for spledide's. If yours stops drying and the leds flash rapidly, you have to clean out the bellows. A real pain too. It's the rubber air tube that goes from the bucket to the back panel and because its a bellows type of tube it traps lint.

Always, always use liquid soap. dry soap powders sometimes dont dissolve and aggravates the lint build up.
what_barnacles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 08:46 PM   #17
Veteran Member

City: Saint Petersburg, FL
Vessel Name: Migration
Vessel Model: Marine Trader 34 Double Cabin Yacht Trawler
Other than a vented dryer would work faster, are there any other advantages? I was hoping not to have to put yet another hole in my boat...
BillZe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 09:23 PM   #18
Guru

City: Aventura FL
Vessel Name: Kinja
Vessel Model: American Tug 34 #116 2008
I have a Spledide 4 year old non-vented dryer in a cabinet of my AT34.
Do I like it? Wellll, it is better than hand washing or a 10 mile round trip to the laundromat.
Usually, even using the max drying setting, I need about 10 mins of 'hanging time,' especially if it involves towels (2 bath towels and a hand towel) Depending upon the other load sizes, it usually needs some "hanging time".
Per sheets, one sheet and 2 pillow cases. That means 2 loads to wash a set of sheets and 4 pillow cases plus "hanging time."
Of course, one needs to get use to wearing wrinkled clothes too.
Hind-sight, I should have installed a vented Spledide and vented it (a 2 ft run) into the cockpit. I'll let the next owner tackle that.
On my N46, I had a vented Spledide. It was obvious there was an ongoing problem with lint build up in the exhaust vent.
Old 03-08-2018, 09:25 PM   #19
Veteran Member

City: Hobe Sound FL
Vessel Name: CORISANDE SHADOW
Vessel Model: PDQ 41
I am very happy with my Splendide vented, which I have had for four months of almost daily use.
Best,
Maldwin
Maldwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 09:46 PM   #20
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillZe View Post
Other than a vented dryer would work faster, are there any other advantages? I was hoping not to have to put yet another hole in my boat...
That's the reason for vented. A second thing is removing the hot humid air.

Tags
laundry