Cockpit Wash Down ....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Codger2

Guru
Vessel Name
Circuit Breaker
Vessel Make
2021..22' Duffy Cuddy cabin
I've decided to fish my boat and am wondering about the most economical way to achieve a wash down. I do have a transom shower that I never use (water's too cold in San Diego to go over the side) and am wondering if replacing the shower head with a small hose nozzle will suffice. The pressure might be a problem but a small brass nozzle (no handle) with a restricted (choked down) exit just might do the trick and will fit in the enclosure. The existing hose on the shower is 7' long and will reach the entire cockpit. (I can buy a catalog 12' hose if necessary.)

Has anyone done this?

Attachments

• IMG_5112.jpg
    IMG_5112.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 132
  • IMG_5111.jpg
    IMG_5111.jpg
    111.7 KB · Views: 135
  • IMG_5113.jpg
    IMG_5113.jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 147
  • Nozzle.jpg
    Nozzle.jpg
    15.7 KB · Views: 504
Depends if you want a fresh or salt water washdown.

If fresh it should be easy to adapt the shower or tap to a newly installed faucet just before it.

If salt...whole nother story...but often is preferred because when back at the dock...fresh water is available from dockside hoses.

Walt, I have the exact same brass nozzle on my RW anchor washdown hose and love it. It provides a strong stream and stows nicely in my recessed hose canister like this. It takes a few seconds to turn it on and off, but that's not a real issue for me.

212C74JHBJL.jpg

You might find a 12 ft hose more useful in spraying from any angle in your cockpit. The 7 footer might not allow you to spray all those fish guts and blood from every corner and crevice of your cockpit. Sometimes there's just no substitute for a long hose.

Walt, sounds like a good idea.

I'd go with freshwater, but then I've got a steel boat.

img_170553_0_4ab8d4e36021a8ead9d1e1c965b1f0bd.jpg

The pictured faucet is connected to the boat's freshwater pressure system.

Ideally, one has both fresh (on-board tankage) and raw (off-board) water systems, assuming one can live with the added complications.

I've decided to fish my boat and am wondering about the most economical way to achieve a wash down. I do have a transom shower that I never use (water's too cold in San Diego to go over the side) and am wondering if replacing the shower head with a small hose nozzle will suffice. The pressure might be a problem but a small brass nozzle (no handle) with a restricted (choked down) exit just might do the trick and will fit in the enclosure. The existing hose on the shower is 7' long and will reach the entire cockpit. (I can buy a catalog 12' hose if necessary.)

Has anyone done this?

I have both in the cockpit. I went and got the adapter to fit a standard garden hose on the shower. I use a quick disconnect and a 20' coil hose.. When I am conserving water having the salt water wash is nice. However, I find myself using hot water from the fresh to clean my fishing mess. You get a lot of dirty looks from the smaller boats when they see the hot water steaming off the back deck with the fish goo:)

On a side note, what do you use to wash your anchor chain when it comes up? My saltwater pump goes to the bow for that. The pump and through hull are kind of hard to get to for me and that makes me nervous. If you install a through hull for it pick a maintenance spot that you can keep an eye on.

They are awesome to have!

Jeff

The advantage of a fresh-water outlet at the bow (with the help of a hose) is that it washes off the salt from the chain and anchor.

img_170555_0_9b05e06eb4210baabe4c9c4f84f9ae8f.jpg

If fresh it should be easy to adapt the shower or tap to a newly installed faucet just before it. .
Since the shower is fresh water, all I have to do is replace the shower head with a hose nozzle and I'll have hot or cold water for a wash down. No new faucet needed.

Walt, I have the exact same brass nozzle on my RW anchor washdown hose and love it.My anchor wash down is fresh water and the hose and hose nozzle stores in the port side chain locker, in a net.

You might find a 12 ft hose more useful in spraying from any angle in your cockpit. The 7 footer might not allow you to spray all those fish guts and blood from every corner and crevice of your cockpit. Sometimes there's just no substitute for a long hose.
:D:D I'm thinking the same thing as I do expect quite a mess of blood & guts in the cockpit.:D:D

I'd go with freshwater, but then I've got a steel boat.
I have FW at both ends of the boat and I always carry a hundred gallons of water. I can see the advantages of both FW & RW but I like the idea of using FW.

I have both in the cockpit. I went and got the adapter to fit a standard garden hose on the shower. I use a quick disconnect and a 20' coil hose.. When I am conserving water having the salt water wash is nice. However, I find myself using hot water from the fresh to clean my fishing mess.
Jeff: If I find that I'm going to use the boat for more than a casual fishing trip, I'll have the systems set up as you've described. At present, however, I can see only a very few trips & want to keep the projects at the minimum.

:D:D I'm thinking the same thing as I do expect quite a mess of blood & guts in the cockpit.:D:D
You sound very confident re catch sizes Walt. If it was me, I'd wait until I'd been out fishing for a bit first. My experience is they see me coming - or they are not there in the first place. I reckon your present shower arrangement would be enough for both purposes, if my experience is anything to go by. My catches aren't even worthy of a cockpit wash-down. In my view there are no fish left in Moreton Bay. Others differ...some even go to the trouble of trucking some in to hold up for photo shoots to print in the local rag...amazing the length some folk will go to eh..?

The advantage of a fresh-water outlet at the bow (with the help of a hose) is that it washes off the salt from the chain and anchor.

I could not agree more!

Hmmm...I guess I'm going to have to think about that now that I'll be moving to your saltwater neighborhood. I have been spoiled by the freshwater of the Delta. I guess I better get used to the post-trip boat wash, too.

I have RW washdowns at the bow and cockpit and a FW hose bib amidship. No fancy hot/cold transom shower on FlyWright.

I have RW washdowns at the bow and cockpit and a FW hose bib amidship. No fancy hot/cold transom shower on FlyWright.

Sounds good enough, and better, to/than me.

Most cruisers use SW as washdowns as a way to conserve FW. Sure FW is better for the boat but the anchor and chain can wait awhile till rinsed with FW as they are designed to be in the salt water all night/for long periods anyhow.

Hmmm...I guess I'm going to have to think about that now that I'll be moving to your saltwater neighborhood. I forgot about your move.....Good luck in the salt water!:rolleyes:

Yeh...well life can be a bitch sometimes. :blush:

LOL! Yes...we all have our crosses to bear.

Good luck 'but chasing!

Hey, that reminds me...have you ever tried a halibut fishing scent by Pro Cure called 'Butt Juice'? It might be worth a try.

Last edited:
The Eagle has a hot and cold sink faucet with a 10 ft reach that we have rinsed the grandchildren off with. Its Ok for them to jump in the cold water but it be rinsed off! If we only had cold water what kind of grand parents would we be? :confused: Probable turning in for child abuse! :D

Attachments

• back deck.jpg
    back deck.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 102
The Eagle has a hot and cold sink faucet with a 10 ft reach that we have rinsed the grandchildren off with.
I never gave that possibility a thought but since I now have a 12 foot (hose) transom shower/cockpit washdown with hot and cold water, I may try that myself, (The operative word is "may.") :blush:

P.S. It works really well and shoots much farther than I thought. Going fishing tomorrow and will try and get some photos.

Last edited:
Photos

Attachments

• IMG_5115.jpg
    IMG_5115.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 87
  • IMG_5118.jpg
    IMG_5118.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_5122.jpg
    IMG_5122.jpg
    106.8 KB · Views: 72
Walt: congratulations on having the most clean and well-detailed boat!

It certainly is. It is so white that wearing shades would be mandatory. Squid fishing wouldn't be advisable from that cockpit.

I have a bit more "patina" on my boat. My cockpit wash down fittings consist of a bucket and lanyard. Works for hot/cold fresh water too if I haul it from the sink. Not just any bucket - but a proper stainless steel beauty!

Last edited:
Walt: congratulations on having the most clean and well-detailed boat!
Photos can make anything look good! She photographs much better than she shows in person but thanks anyway. Flywright, after being aboard several times, pointed out that I had a couple of loose screws. I looked virtually everywhere but couldn't find them. :blush:

Squid fishing wouldn't be advisable from that cockpit.!
Interesting comment. Not that I intend to squid fish but why isn't the cockpit suited for squid? It was to be one of my best sales points! :blush:

Attachments

• IMG_3973.jpg
    IMG_3973.jpg
    130.5 KB · Views: 74
Interesting comment. Not that I intend to squid fish but why isn't the cockpit suited for squid? It was to be one of my best sales points! :blush:

When squid fishing it's best to let them pump themselves dry before hauling them in, but they sometimes save one last squirt of ink for a shiny white cockpit.

When squid fishing it's best to let them pump themselves dry before hauling them in, but they sometimes save one last squirt of ink for a shiny white cockpit.
:D Didn't know that! Thanks for the tip! :D

Photos can make anything look good! She photographs much better than she shows in person but thanks anyway. Flywright, after being aboard several times, pointed out that I had a couple of loose screws. I looked virtually everywhere but couldn't find them. :blush:

She's a beaut, Walt. I think I said "You keep it so perfect. You must have a screw loose."

Keep looking...it's there. :flowers:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom