CO2 sensor

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CoolBeans

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Cool Beans
Vessel Make
36 Kadey Krogen Manatee
Our CO2 sensor has recently started to sound regularly. I can't figure out if there's a CO2 problem or a faulty sensor. We're currently at the dock and not living aboard. We have not recently used the propane stove, the generator or run the engine. The air conditioner and the water heater are both running on shore power. I replaced the battery in the sensor already. Any thoughts from my cruising friends?

Greetings,
Mr. CB. CO2 (carbon dioxide) or CO (carbon monoxide)? Usually CO detectors are good for 5-7 years and will "sound" when approaching or past their "best before" date. Time to replace them I'm afraid.

Yes, CO2 is what puts the fizz in your adult beverage. It's a CO detector and as RTF states, it's time to replace it.

Some manufacturers will take them back and repair and recalibrate them but it's probably not worth it.

Last edited:
Agreed, probably time to replace. Does it have a date printed on the back panel?

I was once faced with the choice of sending one back or replacing it but when I checked, the new model drew much less power and since it was a trailer boat and the detector was powered full time, that was a concern so I replaced it.

My CO monitor started beeping once when the house batteries had a problem and were gassing badly.

Hi Steve, thanks for your reply about the batteries. Next question is.......how do you tell if your batteries are at fault and what do you do about it? BTW......the CO sensor is just a few months old so it's probably not the sensor.

Dotty

Cool Beans...with ur handle, u really think it was the batteries "gassing badly"...just askin?

Agreed, probably time to replace. Does it have a date printed on the back panel?

Even though it was installed a few months ago, it might still be old. Have you checked for a date on the back?

If it has its own internal battery, remove it from the boat and take it home. If it still beeps, it's defective. If not, there's a problem on the boat. If there's a problem on the boat fix it ASAP. You don't want to wake up dead one day.

Take it outside and see what it does

Back to post #7 my batteries were bubbling a LOT, I'm sure you would notice by looking at them. In fact mine were ruined and i had to relpace the two 8Ds.
Good luck

Many of these sensor are quite inexpensive. I use a household unit I bought for ~$30 and figure i will simply replace it every few years.

Buy one of those and mount temporarily in the same area. If it doesn't sound , other than when the test button is pushed, then the other is faulty.

Back
Top Bottom