Old 11-18-2018, 08:59 PM   #1
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Cleats on rails?

Greetings,
I know there's a system out there, I just can't remember how it is described. It's a rail type thing that attaches to a dolpin pole and slides up and down with the tides. One ties off to a "cleat" that is on the rail slider. Can someone please point me to the proper term or a thread? Another thing, any disadvantages? Thanks in advance.
Old 11-18-2018, 09:48 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
One system is Slide Moor or something like that. I don’t know much about it, just saw it advertised on Ship Shape TV.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 10:21 PM   #3
Guru

City: Miami Florida
Vessel Name: Possum
Vessel Model: Ellis 28
Tide Slide?
https://www.tideslide.com/indexr.htm
Old 11-18-2018, 11:28 PM   #4
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mssrs. C and HC. Thank you so much. That's sorta what I remember and might be looking for.

Any additional suggestions or comments from yourselves or other members regarding either system or alternate systems?

My situation is such that the way we are in the slip makes boarding at higher tides an acrobatic maneuver. We can readjust lines during the time we are there BUT upon leaving for extended periods of time I am always uncomfortable with the way the lines are set. I simply do not have the knowledge or experience (in FL) regarding tidal fluctuations (King tides for example) or appropriate hurricane tie-ups.

I can see advantages in both systems. Slide Moor would allow better boarding at high tide by keeping the boat close to the dock. Unfortunately I do not have the luxury or the option of having either dolphin pole in the proper location (immediately opposite a deck cleat/hawse pipe).

On the other hand, I would feel a bit more comfortable having the boat away from the pilings (Tide Slide) if a 'cane came along. One issue that I see: The boat would have to be re-positioned close to the dock during our visits and upon departure, re-positioned in the center of the slip.

Problem is, once in the center of the slip, how do I get off?

Old 11-19-2018, 01:11 AM   #5
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Blessed are floating docks.
Old 11-19-2018, 02:27 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
How do you get off? That is a loaded question... How long are your legs? We have a side tie here at our house. I just painted our boat so I didn’t want it rubbing on fenders 24X7 and abrading the paint. I used Taylormade mooring whips to hold it off the dock. So far they have been great. Just pull in on the stern line and the boat comes to the dock but it sits about 2’ off the dock when you don’t pull in the stern line. That might give you enough slack in the lines to rise and fall with the tides.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 05:57 AM   #7
Guru

City: Annapolis
Vessel Name: Ranger
Vessel Model: 58' Sedan Bridge
Several systems I know of:

Tide Slide - https://www.tideslide.com/
Slide Moor - Easiest Boat Docking System - SlideMoor | The Evolution of Boat Docking
Tide Minders - TideMinders: freedom from line adjustment during storm surges, tidal changes and high-winds.
Tide Rings - Tide Rings-Dont let the tide wreak havoc on boats
Pile Ring - Pile Ring – Pile Ring a revolutionary all-tide all-weather mooring device

Some dock neighbors use Tide Minders, and they seem to like the system. Seems to be some fiddling required -- so as to not lose the lines -- when they leave the slip,

The only one I've tried is the Pile Ring, a relatively elegant solution except... the angle of the dangle didn't work out all that well for our bow/forward spring lines. And the rings get groady, from being in the water all the time...

On paper, Tide Slide looks best... but they're pretty proud of their stainless steel.

We came across a similar system at a marina in Cape May a couple months ago. They had some rebar attached to their outermost piles in the same way they Tide Slide bars mount. Resident boaters fashioned a slide ring to that and left their bow/forward spring lines permanently attached to those slide rings. Looked like it worked OK.

With most of these, you don't really have to center your boat in the slip.

-Chris
Old 11-19-2018, 11:32 AM   #8
Guru

City: Philadelphia, PA
Vessel Name: Revel
Vessel Model: 1984 Fu Hwa 39
These were discussed a couple years ago on this Forum. Search it. One issue I recall is noise as the ring chatters on the pipe. Another is structural adequacy.
DHeckrotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 07:00 PM   #9

City: Cape Coral, Fl
Vessel Name: Panacea
Vessel Model: Novatec 42 Sundeck Trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by RT Firefly View Post
Greetings,
Mssrs. C and HC. Thank you so much. That's sorta what I remember and might be looking for.

Any additional suggestions or comments from yourselves or other members regarding either system or alternate systems?

My situation is such that the way we are in the slip makes boarding at higher tides an acrobatic maneuver. We can readjust lines during the time we are there BUT upon leaving for extended periods of time I am always uncomfortable with the way the lines are set. I simply do not have the knowledge or experience (in FL) regarding tidal fluctuations (King tides for example) or appropriate hurricane tie-ups.

I can see advantages in both systems. Slide Moor would allow better boarding at high tide by keeping the boat close to the dock. Unfortunately I do not have the luxury or the option of having either dolphin pole in the proper location (immediately opposite a deck cleat/hawse pipe).

On the other hand, I would feel a bit more comfortable having the boat away from the pilings (Tide Slide) if a 'cane came along. One issue that I see: The boat would have to be re-positioned close to the dock during our visits and upon departure, re-positioned in the center of the slip.

Problem is, once in the center of the slip, how do I get off?

Longer spring lines?
Live in Fl, never a problem, chris cross lines to get the longest scope possible.
Put a painter or “pull line” to pull you back to the dock.
“Cains” are a whole different thing. Best you can do is “spider web” it in between and hold on. Would never trust “tide slide” or similar in a storm.
You need the stretch of a spider web configuration and a lot of room.
As far as “getting off” adjust your lines from the dock side.
PITA but hey thats the price you pay for living in FLA. 4 hurricanes later I’m without a scratch.
Good luck and safe travels!
Panacea123 is offline   Reply With Quote