Old 07-03-2016, 08:42 PM   #21
Guru

City: Cape Cod
Vessel Name: Slip Aweigh
Vessel Model: Prairie 29
After having been boarded by the GKs for the weekend, and having to unclog the Vacuflush, I heartily agree with the 'HeadMistress' advice recommendations and information.

I was wondering about the filter. Seems the general opinion is to have NO filter, but have an anerobic tank to help digest the contents. Excellent idea.

Thanks for sharing ideas.

Who wants to take used TP for a walk anyway?!

cappy208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 10:16 PM   #22
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. 208. "...have an anerobic tank to help digest the contents." Not quite. You want an AEROBIC environment meaning WITH oxygen for the digestion to occur.

Old 07-03-2016, 10:46 PM   #23
Guru

City: Cape Cod
Vessel Name: Slip Aweigh
Vessel Model: Prairie 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by RT Firefly View Post
Greetings,
Mr. 208. "...have an anerobic tank to help digest the contents." Not quite. You want an AEROBIC environment meaning WITH oxygen for the digestion to occur.
Obviously I and 'aerobic' have never met!!!! Darned autocorrect. I get the intention. It is the details that need ironing out.
cappy208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 07:49 AM   #24
FF
Guru

The big hassle with poisoning the tank contents is dumping.

If it goes to a big municipal system , the unused poison wont be a hassle,

BUT if you pump out in a remote location with a septic field , there is a chance that the poison will kill the good stuff in the septic system.

This can cause the field to flood with raw sewage , requiring the systems replacement.

Extra air is used on the big $$$ charter boats , as side by side,stern too, there is always an open port near a lower boats tank vent.

At $10K to $50K a week "outhouse" not what the guests expect.

A small aquarium sized air pump will do wonders to get rid of the stench.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 04:36 PM   #25
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Regarding tank vents of any size on smaller vessels....

I was lucky enough to have a marine engineering type with excellent quals send this. It somewhat reinforces my thoughts on smells in holding tanks and condensation in partially empty fuel tanks.....

"Where does (edited) the pressure differential comes from to create a flow in that little tube?

The air and fumes flow through the little tiny screen holes exactly the same as they do when fitted to a fuel tank.

When the tank fills, the nasty fumes goes out the vent, that is what it is for. When the tank is emptied, clean air goes in the vent, that is what it is for. The rest of the time there is no flow because there is no pressure differential to create a flow.

The holding tank vent could be a 3 inch pipe and it still would not aerate the tank sufficiently to keep it aerobic. An ideal system would use a vent fan to draw gases off the top of the tank and discharge them where the smell would not be noticed, and aeration would be supplied through a bubbler system in the tank. Thinking and telling someone that a (edited) small boat vent hose exchanges air to keep the tank aerobic is just plain (edited) incorrect."

I edited just a few words, no change in info passed.

I have no idea or care about microbes, etc. As a liveaboard, the turnover through pumpouts seemed to keep the problem at bay.

None of the boats around me in all the marinas through decades of active boating have ever given me a nasty wiff.

Even replacing dozens of those silly filter on Sea Rays back a decade ago...never once did it seem to matter unless the tank filled the filter from an overfilling.

The only smells I ever seem to really notice are the classic hose permeation smell and where spills have occurred and never cleaned up well.

The other issue sometimes is it isn't even the sanitary system...it is just a nasty bilge or shower sump issue.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 05:18 PM   #26

City: Seabrook, Texas
Vessel Name: Small World
Vessel Model: Defever 50
Wouldn't a vacuflush system introduce enough air for aerobic bacteria?
Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 05:28 PM   #27
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake View Post
Wouldn't a vacuflush system introduce enough air for aerobic bacteria?
Good question...

Maybe any toilet that flushes enough bubbles in the pumping introduces enough oxygen.

I'm guessing it is not an easy nail to hit...so many variables, yet a few pretty easy to guess givens.

Looking at one particular system at a time...it probably could be figured out in short order...but to broadstoke all boats and their head/holding tank systems might not be too easy
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 05:58 PM   #28
Guru

City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by FF View Post

Extra air is used on the big $$$ charter boats , as side by side,stern too, there is always an open port near a lower boats tank vent.

At $10K to $50K a week "outhouse" not what the guests expect.

You forgot a couple of zeros. Big $$$ charter boats start at $50,000 a week and rapidly move up to the hundreds of thousands of dollars per week range.

The last boat charter boat I was on chartered for $145,000 per week. And yes we did have a Head Hunter Tidal Wave system with air and chlorine injection.

But it's not that expensive to add air injection to your existing holding tank.
Capt.Bill11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 08:44 PM   #29
Guru

City: Seneca Lake NY
Vessel Name: Bacchus
Vessel Model: MS 34 HT Trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by FF View Post

A small aquarium sized air pump will do wonders to get rid of the stench.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.Bill11 View Post

But it's not that expensive to add air injection to your existing holding tank.
I can attest to the accuracy of Peggy's recommendations...

Last boat had a severe smell problem - after reading Peggy's book I started to explore the vent system - found a long convoluted vent hose path which I shortened & straightened. Then added a larger second vent on the opposite side w/ larger hose and straight thru hull - smell issue basically gone

Current mainship also has a significant smell issue - vent is LOOONG - SMALL and the thru hull is screened angle type that doesn't do much to aerate tank.
Unfortunately adding a vent and correcting the existing one is next to impossible due to the tank location and limited access.
I have added a simple home made bubbler that has made a huge difference - as Peggy states - the only drawback is you have to run it 24/7 which I almost do - we shut it down overnight and start it up early next AM - still seems to be effective
See the Holding Tank Aeration System link for details
Bacchus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 09:27 PM   #30

City: On the Great Loop - lying Clearwater Florida
Vessel Name: Seven Tenths
Vessel Model: Mirage / Great Harbour 47
Peggy - thank you for your thoughtful information.
HenryD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 09:58 PM   #31
Guru

City: Thibodaux, Louisiana
Vessel Name: Gumbo
Vessel Model: 2003 Monk 36
Here is my home made version of a "sweet tank aerator" a 12V bait aerator which bubbles through two airstones. It works fine, my tank has a screw in port on the top which made the installation fairly easy. it cost about 60 bucks for the components. The second photo shows the port cap, supply tube, and airstones which lie on the bottom of the tank. Picture taken against the fridge while they were still "virgin"
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	holding tank aerator installed 016.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	134.8 KB
ID:	54173   Click image for larger version

Name:	head and holding tank 014.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	115.7 KB
ID:	54174