Change rule sump to gulper?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I would not let the condensate drain into the bilge, run it into the shower sump if possible.

Regarding the noise of the Gulper, perhaps over time gather up some scrap or discount pieces of mass-loaded vinyl or foam-lead acoustic insulation, to install.

I find the noise of the Gulper quite comforting as I know it is working and I don't forget to shut it off when I'm finished showering. When I had a stupid rule pump I wouldn't know it quit until I was ankle deep in water.

"I find the noise of the Gulper quite comforting"

Ditto for fresh water pumps , when you hear it stop it means the FW system is tight and you should still not be out of water.

The noise doesn't bother me when I'm showing. It's more invasive in the middle of the night when the AC condensate kicks it on.

I find the noise of the Gulper quite comforting as I know it is working and I don't forget to shut it off when I'm finished showering. When I had a stupid rule pump I wouldn't know it quit until I was ankle deep in water.

agree. I'd rather hear it, than have a silent problem!

A quick comment on Rule/Xylem. Their customer service is exceptional! I recently purchased one of the redesigned shower drain boxes. The model I purchased had the 850gph pump. I had an issue where even though the exit hose was run properly, the pump would air lock. I called Rule/Xylem, and their tech support was amazing. After trying to remove a joker valve didn’t help, they sent me an 1100gph pump for free, and told me to keep the 850. They shipped the replacement next day for free.

Truly a great experience!

I thought about replacing it with an 1100gph pump, but the literature they include with it didn't state anything about how much lift it has.

I had amazon gift cards so I just used them to purchase the gulper. I dont want to fight with this again.

I’d agree the gulper is a better solution. If I planned on keeping this boat longer, I’d have gone that route.

I got my gulper installed. I still want to tweak a few things but this thing shoots water overboard at least 2 to 3 feet from the boat. It’s not noisy at all, but if you get close to it it does kinda sound like a washing machine due to air in the lines.

I am overjoyed with this installation accomplishment and the product itself!

Attachments

• F246B17B-43D8-4AA5-AFFB-5F00BBF9FDAE.jpg
    F246B17B-43D8-4AA5-AFFB-5F00BBF9FDAE.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 56
  • CFA2D6B0-1C09-417B-A398-F1A5A23BBCA7.jpg
    CFA2D6B0-1C09-417B-A398-F1A5A23BBCA7.jpg
    157.1 KB · Views: 52
Does the Gulper pump kick on when water backs up the line from the pump to the sensor and hits the sensor or does it kick on when water flows through the sensor? I'm thinking of adding this same solution but I was curious if the longer the hose from the sensor to the pump means the less the pump will turn on and off?

Does the Gulper pump kick on when water backs up the line from the pump to the sensor and hits the sensor or does it kick on when water flows through the sensor? I'm thinking of adding this same solution but I was curious if the longer the hose from the sensor to the pump means the less the pump will turn on and off?

As soon as water hits the sensor, the signal is sent to activate the pump. When water is no longer sensed, the pump shuts off.

As soon as water hits the sensor, the signal is sent to activate the pump. When water is no longer sensed, the pump shuts off.
I was curious as well...
I can see where sink or shower that wouldn't be a problem... but
I'm wondering if the only inflow is AC condensate does the pump cycle frequently?

That's exactly what I was wondering. Seems like if the sensor kicks on when water runs through it then the A/C condensate would have it running continuously.

That's exactly what I was wondering. Seems like if the sensor kicks on when water runs through it then the A/C condensate would have it running continuously.

No. It only kicks on when the water backs up and fills up the manifold. The sensor is at the top of the manifold.

Kind of both. It’s got to back up from
The pump, then fill the manifold. Once the manifold is full
And water hits the top
Of it, then the pump starts.

I did this. I had a molded shower sump that held about 1/2 gallon. I initially put the Gulper IC sensor drain right in the bottom of the sump. I didn't like that - the pump ran continuously since the drain sensor was always wet. Already having the sump, I wanted to take advantage of having the infrequent cycles of the pump since it could evacuate a lot of water very fast.

To do this, I put the float switch back in the sump and wired it to the remote Gulper IC pump. There is a trick that is very useful for this Gulper IC pump - you can wire the float switch to a specific wire on the pump and the pump will run for 10 seconds AFTER the float switch goes down, clearing all the lines and any remaining sump water. This was VERY handy.

I also, paralleled a manual push button switch to run the pump remotely.

I wrote up a GH-N37 specific project here.

---
Ray
m/V SCOUT, GH N37
http://n37scout.wixsite.com/travels
http://n37scout.wixsite.com/travels/blog

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom