Capilano seal fyi

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So after replacing the hoses to the rudder cylinder, the shaft seal started leaking in both helms.

$120 for 2 seal kits just to find out home depot's #15 oring works fine for the shaft. The #7 oring replaces the one on the number of turns adjuster.

I found that out because 1 of the seal kits didn't show. Maybe I'll get lucky and can cancel the order for the remaining kit on Monday. Probably not though. *sigh*

How much fluid is lost replacing the lower helm seals? Should the system be drained down to that level, or can it be done with a full system? Thanks.

Had the same problem. Bought the seal kit only to find did not include the O-ring for the shaft. Bought one from McMaster-Carr.

Funny how boat supply people think boaters be rich, and even if we were, we didn't get that way by spending 5 times more than necessary for the same part. I'm slowly learning the same lessons. "5200" sealant $13.95 at West Marine....$8.49 at Home Depot.

Funny how boat supply people think boaters be rich, and even if we were, we didn't get that way by spending 5 times more than necessary for the same part. I'm slowly learning the same lessons. "5200" sealant $13.95 at West Marine....$8.49 at Home Depot.

Yeah..Most "Marine" parts are easily duplicated. Mcmaster.com has 10's of thousands of hardware and parts items at reasonable prices and even more reasonable and quick shipping.

McMaster-Carr

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom