Old 11-11-2012, 05:56 PM   #1
Veteran Member

City: Whittier
Vessel Name: Libertad
Vessel Model: Offshore 54
Can anyone ID the manufacturer of this seacock?

It is in a 2001 Offshore 54' and I need to replace it or hopefully buy a new handle. I have found numerous similar units but not the exact one. It has a cast sailboat on the body. It is not a Wilcox Crittenden. Thanks in advance.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	81.9 KB
ID:	13951  

Larmex99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 06:48 PM   #2
Guru

City: Sidney BC
Vessel Name: Rochepoint
Vessel Model: 1985 Cheer Men PT38 Sedan
Maybe one of these. Could you post a photo showing the sailboat?

"Yes, I have the right anchor"
rochepoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 06:58 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Nope, I checked Spartan already. The logo is on the back side and I can't get any kind of useful pic. I am sure someone out there will recognize it. The handle looks like a Groco, but they don't show this model in their catalog.
Old 11-12-2012, 05:48 AM   #4
Scraping Paint

City: Fort Lauderdale
Vessel Model: CHB 48 Zodiac YL 4.2
I think you will find that it is a Chinese knock-off that probably isn't made anymore. Why not just replace it with a standard version supported by one of the reputable suppliers?
RickB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 05:49 AM   #5
Scraping Paint

If all you need is a new handle then just have one made or go buy a wrench at your local car hardware store.
Old 11-12-2012, 06:14 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I could also use the handle from the other engine's seacock too....if I wanted to, which I don't. There is nothing more that I can do to loosen the seacock until I have the boat in dry dock, which will happen in a few months, regardless. At that time, I will do what is necessary to loosen the mechanism or replace it. If it is a knockoff then I will replace it with a known manufacturer. If it is from a reputable manufacturer I will try to purchase an identical unit. Hence, the posting. So, anyone our there recognize it?
Old 11-12-2012, 06:14 AM   #7
FF
Guru

It is not a Wilcox Crittenden.

But it could be a Chinese copy of the WC.

Measure the size handle , I may have a WC handle.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 06:22 AM   #8
Scraping Paint

More to the story? Is it too tight to turn and can't be "loosened" or are you just desperate to have a dedicated handle for each valve?
Old 11-12-2012, 06:37 AM   #9
Veteran Member

FF, thanks for the offer, but the handle is not similar to the WC. It is actually similar to the Groco, with a square nut and cotter pin. It is cast bronze so making one from steel is not a good idea as it could damage the bronze nut, and using bronze and steel together isn't a good idea.

Rick, I know that I could cobble something together that would function, but that is not what I want to do. I am in Mexico and things are much harder and more costly to get here. I will repair if possible and replace if necessary, which is why I would like to identify it so I could make a sound decision.
Old 11-12-2012, 07:03 AM   #10
Scraping Paint

Who said anything about "cobble something together?" In Mexico it should be even easier than here to take one of your existing handles to a foundry and have them cast a bronze duplicate. Simple, cheap, sand casting is almost certainly how the original was made, or if it was investment cast, a lost wax mold will do just fine and is a primitive technology so even the most backwards foundry can do it.

I am curious about the "loosen the mechanism" comment ... is the thing too hard to turn and that is part of the reason you are looking for a replacement? Replacing a $400 valve because you can't find a $20 handle seems odd.
Old 11-12-2012, 07:20 AM   #11
TF Site Team

City: JAX, FL
Vessel Name: Hobo
Vessel Model: Krogen 42-120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larmex99 View Post
It is in a 2001 Offshore 54' and I need to replace it or hopefully buy a new handle. I have found numerous similar units but not the exact one. It has a cast sailboat on the body. It is not a Wilcox Crittenden. Thanks in advance.

I'm with Rick B. In Mexcio they make anything. Gonzales has a machine shop in PV. He made a lot of parts for us over the years in different metals. One issue we had was an internal part for some door handles. Four days and $50 later we had 2. You'll get his current address on the morning VHF net.
Larry M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 08:40 AM   #12
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
Quote:
FF, thanks for the offer, but the handle is not similar to the WC. It is actually similar to the Groco, with a square nut and cotter pin. It is cast bronze so making one from steel is not a good idea as it could damage the bronze nut, and using bronze and steel together isn't a good idea. .
How about making a handle from stainless steel such as this commercial seacock:

Quote:
Conbraco Apollo Full Flow Sea Flange Valve

Ports: 3/4" NPS Bottom Connection, 3/4" NPT Top Connection

Material: Bronze Body With Chrome Plated Bronze Ball

Stainless Steel Lever and Nut

Conbraco Apollo Full Flow Sea Flange Valve

Or just buy a wrench that fits it and keep it nearby?
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 09:51 AM   #13
Scraping Paint

"... and using bronze and steel together isn't a good idea ..."

We had better call the propeller and prop nut folks and pump manufacturers before something awful happens.
Old 11-12-2012, 11:02 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Rick, Sorry if I offended you. My issue with steel and bronze is that the steel is much stronger than the bronze nut it is attacked to on the handle. If someone were to pound on it, the bronze would give way first potentially causing a catastrophic failure. However, in the real world you are probably correct and a fabricated steel handle is the best option. Stainless is even better for obvious reasons and it is easily available here. Thanks.
Old 11-12-2012, 11:19 AM   #15
Scraping Paint

Quote:
Rick, Sorry if I offended you. My issue with steel and bronze is that the steel is much stronger than the bronze nut it is attacked to on the handle. If someone were to pound on it, the bronze would give way first potentially causing a catastrophic failure.
No offense taken here, just trying to help.

If the thing is so stiff that you worry about damaging the bronze, you need to fix it. It is not difficult to do and if you may even be able to do it in the water if you can dive or have a diver available to seal the inlet from the outside.

There are even internal options which include the use of bread and modeling clay if you feel adventurous.
Old 11-12-2012, 12:26 PM   #16
Guru

City: Port Credit
Vessel Name: DIRT FREE
Vessel Model: Benford Fantail 38
It's already been suggested that you take one of your other handles to a foundry and have a duplicate cast. I use a local foundry that charges $8.00 per pound for a bronze sand casting. That's it ! $8.00 and no other charges.
boatpoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 01:01 PM   #17
Guru

City: sydney
Vessel Name: Aquabelle
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander Flushdeck
I think your seacock may have been made by Buck Algonquin. I would have said Spartan, as they have a Greco-Roman galley under sail as a logo, but you seem confident it is not Spartan..... It is a 'cone' type which, though no longer fashionable, probably because of higher manufacturing costs, can be easily pulled down, lapped and made perfect again.
Aquabelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 02:51 PM   #18
Guru

City: PNW
Vessel Model: 1976 Californian Tricabin LRC
[QUOTE=rwidman;112342]How about making a handle from stainless steel such as this commercial seacock:

--------------------------------------

I had a similar issue on my raw water engine intakes. Only the handles were cast iron on a bronze seacock. Every time you would open or closed the valves you ended up with a rusty hand. Dumb , Dumb,

I was going to replace the valves., but the yard said they were in good condition and good quality, we cleaned them and reinstalled. Found some stainless handles, (like the ones pictured) at Marine Hardware, Anacortes, carefully enlarged and fit the square hole and we were good to go.
Stainless on bronze shouldn't be an issue and the handles are light enough that no one is going to pound on them.

Larry B
Edelweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 03:56 PM   #19
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. Edelweiss. Two potential solutions for rusty handles...

Coatings and Adhesives, Rubber and Plastic Coatings | Plasti Dip Interntional

Heat-shrink tubing - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

From the tone of your post I suspect you have already mitigated your rust problem...
Old 11-12-2012, 04:09 PM   #20
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
I'll just add that the companies that make these seacocks also make similar items for use in residential and commercial plumbing. There's a chance that a good plumbing supply house can either furnish or order replacement handles.

Even Harbor Freight sells similar valves and while I wouldn't use one in a critical application on my boat, the handle might fit.

Valve - Harbor Freight Tools

rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote