Old 08-22-2018, 12:56 PM   #1
Guru

City: Bethesda, MD
Vessel Name: Solstice
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 47 Eastbay FB
Cabinet drawer slide alternatives?

Our 47EB has annoying loud drawer slides. You have to lift the front of the drawer and pull to open them. There's no push/pull or other sort of catch on the drawers, just the lift/pull motion. The staterooms and galley all use the same hardware. (4 in the galley, 6 forward and 5 starboard).

I've had drawers on other boats that integrate the catch with the handle. Since the handles on all of these are in the center it wouldn't be easy to use that sort.

I'm wondering if there's any other kind of slides out there that would be less noisy. Preferably without requiring changing out all the handles.
Attached Images

Old 08-22-2018, 02:57 PM   #2
TF Site Team

City: Paris,TN
Vessel Name: William
Vessel Model: Outer reef 32
I always use 32mm series 766 from Centerline . Rockler Woodworking and Hardware carries them in all sizes. These are ball bearing guides.There are a bunch of different brands and big box stores carry them also .

Old 08-22-2018, 03:08 PM   #3
Guru

City: Quebec
Vessel Name: Bleuvet
Vessel Model: Custom Built
http://www.leevalley.com/en/hardware...,43614&p=43616

L
Lou_tribal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 04:25 PM   #4
Guru

City: Bethesda, MD
Vessel Name: Solstice
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 47 Eastbay FB
I've used an assortment of drawer slides over the years, so I'm familiar with generic uses of them (Blum, Haefele and Accuride, typically). And have bought many things from Rockler, Lee Valley, Woodpecker and more... don't get me started on woodworking tool addictions...

But my past uses haven't required the drawers stay shut against boat motion. That's why I asked here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pack Mule View Post
I always use 32mm series 766 from Centerline . Rockler Woodworking and Hardware carries them in all sizes. These are ball bearing guides.There are a bunch of different brands and big box stores carry them also .
How solidly do the 766's hold themselves closed? I see the Rockler details mention it for preventing bounce-back, but what about in a boat?

The drawer fronts on all of them have a knob centered on the face (or two in the case of the ones under the forward berth). There's no catch, it's just the slides that hold it closed.

I'll have to double-check the distances. I don't know how far the existing center-drilled holes are from the edges. I don't think they're close enough to allow using a typical push/pull rim latch. The stateroom drawers.... maybe, but the galley drawers seem like their center-positioned handle would be too far from the top to make use of a push/pull latch.