Old 10-20-2013, 06:56 PM   #1
Guru

City: Salvador - BA
Vessel Name: Rainha Jannota
Vessel Model: Curruira 46
Send a message via MSN to Portuguese
Bus adaptable Air Conditioning

Hello guys, Greetings
Have any of you guys ever seen a Bus AC adapted to a boat? The idea is to have it running while on way.
Thanks

Portuguese

Old 10-21-2013, 05:42 AM   #2
FF
Guru

IF you are thinking of the rooftop style air cond that simply blows thru a 14x14 hatch in the roof as used on RVs , they work fine on boats.

There is even a marinized version if you prefer to spend more.

These weigh about 125 lbs so the roof may need some help for wave G loading.

FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 07:01 AM   #3

City: Manila
Vessel Name: Carabao
Vessel Model: Home built power tri
On my current boat I have an auto system. The air handler is the type used in the back of vans. I built a heat exchanger and plumbed it into the main engine’s seawater inlet. The extra heat did not affect the engine water temp or exhaust gas temp but its a small system.
Boatgm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 10:13 AM   #4
Guru

City: Everett Wa
Vessel Name: Eagle
Vessel Model: Roughwater 58 pilot house
We have one on the pilothouse roof. It was installed before we bought the Eagle. We don't use the roof or get up there very often so it does not get in the way.
Phil Fill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 10:28 AM   #5
Guru

City: Gloucester, MA
I think he means a system where the compressor is driven off the main engine. I don't see any reason why it couldn't be done with sufficient time and creativity. But you would still need the whole raw water system and some sort of raw-water cooled condenser.
twistedtree is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 10:59 AM   #6
TF Site Team

City: Paris,TN
Vessel Name: William
Vessel Model: Outer reef 32
We have one on roof as well (see avatar) It cools the boat fine but it is really loud . Any suggestions on how to quite down ? One vent blows out to pilot house and the other blows against the pilot house back.wall and the air bounces off the wall .
Pack Mule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 12:20 PM   #7
Guru

City: Vero Beach, FL.
Vessel Name: FIREFLY
Vessel Model: Pilgrim 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedtree View Post
I think he means a system where the compressor is driven off the main engine. I don't see any reason why it couldn't be done with sufficient time and creativity. But you would still need the whole raw water system and some sort of raw-water cooled condenser.
I don't believe the bus units need raw water for the condenser, I think they are air cooled.
SCOTTEDAVIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 01:11 PM   #8
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Coleman Marine AC...

Our 1977 Tolly has what looks to be same as a Coleman RV roof top AC unit sequestered under the control panel on bridge.

Nice air-disbursement facility is in ceiling of salon (see pict). I believe it is orig 1977 AC. From what I can tell parts and portions are intact. Needs service by trained tech!

Although there are few "really hot" days it is needed while on hook in SF Delta... would be nice to have then. We virtually never sit at dock and stay cool by swimming a lot in the temperate fresh waters!

I'm wondering who to contact in SF Delta Stockton area for serviceing a 1977 vintage Coleman AC??

Any names/numbers would be appreciated!

Thanks, Art
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Orig AC Fwd Salon Ceiling.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	101.4 KB
ID:	23948  
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 02:46 PM   #9
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedtree

You're correct Twistedtree.

That's exactly what I have in mind. To cool it off I would build a cooper tube coil around the compressor as I did long time ago on wall unit inside of a sport fishing Phoenix engine room. I had that boat for 7 years and never had problems with the AC
Old 10-21-2013, 06:37 PM   #10
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art View Post
I'm wondering who to contact in SF Delta Stockton area for serviceing a 1977 vintage Coleman AC?? Any names/numbers would be appreciated! Thanks, Art
Art try Pinasco Mechanical Contractor on Taylor st in Stockton. They have a legendary service department (4 generations family owned/operated business)that is known for taking on nearly any job. If one of their techs says he can handle it you'll be in good hands with reasonable rates.

If not they can direct you to a top notch reliable local that can handle it. I worked for them many many years ago and have a ton of respect for them.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 08:45 PM   #11
Art
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPseudonym View Post
Art try Pinasco Mechanical Contractor on Taylor st in Stockton. They have a legendary service department (4 generations family owned/operated business)that is known for taking on nearly any job. If one of their techs says he can handle it you'll be in good hands with reasonable rates.

If not they can direct you to a top notch reliable local that can handle it. I worked for them many many years ago and have a ton of respect for them.

Thanks, Craig!

Have entered Pinasco Mechanical Contractor in my folder. Plan to soon discuss on ph. Hope they “can do” my old AC. Even though AC will be seldom used... Admiral would be pleased for those few special HOT days... any particular person to ask for?

Cheers, Art

Old 10-21-2013, 08:51 PM   #12
Guru

City: Gloucester, MA
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTTEDAVIS View Post
I don't believe the bus units need raw water for the condenser, I think they are air cooled.
Yes, I agree the bus units would be air cooled. I'm just presuming that water cooled would be better on a boat.
twistedtree is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 09:20 PM   #13
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
I've looked hard at the new, so-called "Marine" rooftop A/C's at the last couple of boat shows. I just re-skinned my pilothouse roof and I'd hate to take space from a planned solar panel area, but since cooling the pilothouse would be mainly a concern while underway, it seems like a simple solution. Not sure about that long A/C line run from evaporator to compressor though. Of course, it's easier than ducting.
healhustler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 11:02 PM   #14

City: Nokomis
Quote:
Originally Posted by healhustler View Post
I've looked hard at the new, so-called "Marine" rooftop A/C's .
Of what do you speak? When I google "Marine rooftop A/C", I find several air cooled units listed: SeaMac, Advent, Dometic, but no water cooled.
harbor950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 12:04 AM   #15
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
Quote:
Originally Posted by harbor950 View Post
Of what do you speak? When I google "Marine rooftop A/C", I find several air cooled units listed: SeaMac, Advent, Dometic, but no water cooled.
Not sure who actually manufacturers these, but several Marine A/C companies in the Miami area were touting this more sea-worthy rooftop unit that featured greater rust resistance in metal parts, and some parts replaced with plastic.....basically a truck or RV rooftop unit called Marine. Air cooled.

Like this one.

http://www.dometic.com/enus/Americas...ctdataid=97446

or this under 1000 bucks:

http://www.flagshipmarine.com/rooftopac.html
healhustler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 06:11 AM   #16
FF
Guru

Using an engine driven compressor works fine , although the heat exchanger freon / sea water will not be cheap.

The problem is car units are limited in size.

We have a bus and the std installed system (GM 4106) is thru a 9 inch truck clutch to a compressor that is probably 150 Lbs and takes 40-60 HP to operate.
Gearing powers the unit otherwise 6+ V belts would be required. Newer coaches use a flat belt to transmit the required HP.

Sure it would do a boat , but the complexity is huge , you would be far better off with 2 large car systems .

A mechanical system could be operated by a generator , IF it were large enough.

The cost of 2 bus (250-300A 24V) alternators and 4KW sine wave inverter with std marine air cond units should be compared to the price of a mechanical system. The std yacht air will operate dockside .

IF you want a mechanical system I would talk to the big truck reefer folks for a used engine and compressor as a system start.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 07:59 AM   #17
Guru

Thank you all for your opinions.

Another option, probably more viable, is to connect a AC alternator to the gear or to the engine and produce 6KVA AC power at 1800RPM which is the cruising speed of the boat, and run the cooling units with it. My units are AC powered.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1150211.JPG
Views:	66
Size:	65.1 KB
ID:	23981  
Old 10-22-2013, 09:32 AM   #18
Art
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by healhustler View Post
Not sure who actually manufacturers these, but several Marine A/C companies in the Miami area were touting this more sea-worthy rooftop unit that featured greater rust resistance in metal parts, and some parts replaced with plastic.....basically a truck or RV rooftop unit called Marine. Air cooled.

Like this one.

products - Dometic

or this under 1000 bucks:

SeaMach Air Cooled Marine Rooftop Air Conditioner by RVP Coleman® - Mach® - Worldwide Distribution
Both links show ACs similar to ours on exterior and interior. The lower one has pict w/ exact same interior distribution ceiling unit as our 1977 model. 36 yrs... and, little seems to have changed. Should be quite easy to have our old model repaired. Will be interesting to discuss w/ Pinasco Mechanical Contractors that Craig strongly recommended on post 10.
Old 10-22-2013, 10:09 AM   #19
Guru

City: Everett Wa
Vessel Name: Eagle
Vessel Model: Roughwater 58 pilot house
Quote:
Originally Posted by Portuguese View Post
Thank you all for your opinions.

Another option, probably more viable, is to connect a AC alternator to the gear or to the engine and produce 6KVA AC power at 1800RPM which is the cruising speed of the boat, and run the cooling units with it. My units are AC powered.

So you did install what I call a cruise gen off the main engine! Right on!

The concerrn with the water colloed roof top is the run distance as it might cool down and not be cold enough at the unit and or cool the ttal system down. The is the probelm we had with the Webasto hot water diesel heating and the reason we had to go with the biggest unit. The AC electric roof top are easy to install, and they also have a heater for those chilly mornings.

I would be interested in hearing more about the water cooled AC as we been talking about moving the boat to California in the next couple of years. So in stead of HEAT, will will need AC.
Phil Fill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 10:27 AM   #20
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: "Sandpiper"
Vessel Model: 2006 42' Ocean Alexander Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Fill View Post

I would be interested in hearing more about the water cooled AC as we been talking about moving the boat to California in the next couple of years. So in stead of HEAT, will will need AC.
I have been in San Diego since 1996 and have never needed AC. (The delta, however, is completely different than the coast.) California has whatever climate you desire. Cold, warm, wet, dry, pick your poison.

My passion for improving my boat(s) exceeds my desire to constantly cruise them.
Codger2 is offline   Reply With Quote