Bus adaptable Air Conditioning

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Portuguese

Guru
Vessel Name
Rainha Jannota
Vessel Make
Curruira 46
Hello guys, Greetings
Have any of you guys ever seen a Bus AC adapted to a boat? The idea is to have it running while on way.
Thanks

Portuguese

IF you are thinking of the rooftop style air cond that simply blows thru a 14x14 hatch in the roof as used on RVs , they work fine on boats.

There is even a marinized version if you prefer to spend more.

These weigh about 125 lbs so the roof may need some help for wave G loading.

On my current boat I have an auto system. The air handler is the type used in the back of vans. I built a heat exchanger and plumbed it into the main engine’s seawater inlet. The extra heat did not affect the engine water temp or exhaust gas temp but its a small system.

We have one on the pilothouse roof. It was installed before we bought the Eagle. We don't use the roof or get up there very often so it does not get in the way.

I think he means a system where the compressor is driven off the main engine. I don't see any reason why it couldn't be done with sufficient time and creativity. But you would still need the whole raw water system and some sort of raw-water cooled condenser.

We have one on roof as well (see avatar) It cools the boat fine but it is really loud . Any suggestions on how to quite down ? One vent blows out to pilot house and the other blows against the pilot house back.wall and the air bounces off the wall .

I think he means a system where the compressor is driven off the main engine. I don't see any reason why it couldn't be done with sufficient time and creativity. But you would still need the whole raw water system and some sort of raw-water cooled condenser.

I don't believe the bus units need raw water for the condenser, I think they are air cooled.

Coleman Marine AC...

Our 1977 Tolly has what looks to be same as a Coleman RV roof top AC unit sequestered under the control panel on bridge.

Nice air-disbursement facility is in ceiling of salon (see pict). I believe it is orig 1977 AC. From what I can tell parts and portions are intact. Needs service by trained tech!

Although there are few "really hot" days it is needed while on hook in SF Delta... would be nice to have then. We virtually never sit at dock and stay cool by swimming a lot in the temperate fresh waters!

I'm wondering who to contact in SF Delta Stockton area for serviceing a 1977 vintage Coleman AC??

Any names/numbers would be appreciated!

Thanks, Art :thumb:

Attachments

• Orig AC Fwd Salon Ceiling.jpg
    Orig AC Fwd Salon Ceiling.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 91

Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedtree http://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s3/bus-adaptable-air-conditioning-12090.html#post186020

You're correct Twistedtree.

That's exactly what I have in mind. To cool it off I would build a cooper tube coil around the compressor as I did long time ago on wall unit inside of a sport fishing Phoenix engine room. I had that boat for 7 years and never had problems with the AC

I'm wondering who to contact in SF Delta Stockton area for serviceing a 1977 vintage Coleman AC?? Any names/numbers would be appreciated! Thanks, Art :thumb:

Art try Pinasco Mechanical Contractor on Taylor st in Stockton. They have a legendary service department (4 generations family owned/operated business)that is known for taking on nearly any job. If one of their techs says he can handle it you'll be in good hands with reasonable rates.

If not they can direct you to a top notch reliable local that can handle it. I worked for them many many years ago and have a ton of respect for them.

Art try Pinasco Mechanical Contractor on Taylor st in Stockton. They have a legendary service department (4 generations family owned/operated business)that is known for taking on nearly any job. If one of their techs says he can handle it you'll be in good hands with reasonable rates.

If not they can direct you to a top notch reliable local that can handle it. I worked for them many many years ago and have a ton of respect for them.

Thanks, Craig!

Have entered Pinasco Mechanical Contractor in my folder. Plan to soon discuss on ph. Hope they “can do” my old AC. Even though AC will be seldom used... Admiral would be pleased for those few special HOT days... any particular person to ask for?

Cheers, Art

I've looked hard at the new, so-called "Marine" rooftop A/C's at the last couple of boat shows. I just re-skinned my pilothouse roof and I'd hate to take space from a planned solar panel area, but since cooling the pilothouse would be mainly a concern while underway, it seems like a simple solution. Not sure about that long A/C line run from evaporator to compressor though. Of course, it's easier than ducting.

Of what do you speak? When I google "Marine rooftop A/C", I find several air cooled units listed: SeaMac, Advent, Dometic, but no water cooled.

Not sure who actually manufacturers these, but several Marine A/C companies in the Miami area were touting this more sea-worthy rooftop unit that featured greater rust resistance in metal parts, and some parts replaced with plastic.....basically a truck or RV rooftop unit called Marine. Air cooled.

Like this one.

http://www.dometic.com/enus/America...oning---Dometic/products/?productdataid=97446

or this under 1000 bucks:

http://www.flagshipmarine.com/rooftopac.html

Last edited:
Using an engine driven compressor works fine , although the heat exchanger freon / sea water will not be cheap.

The problem is car units are limited in size.

We have a bus and the std installed system (GM 4106) is thru a 9 inch truck clutch to a compressor that is probably 150 Lbs and takes 40-60 HP to operate.
Gearing powers the unit otherwise 6+ V belts would be required. Newer coaches use a flat belt to transmit the required HP.

Sure it would do a boat , but the complexity is huge , you would be far better off with 2 large car systems .

A mechanical system could be operated by a generator , IF it were large enough.

The cost of 2 bus (250-300A 24V) alternators and 4KW sine wave inverter with std marine air cond units should be compared to the price of a mechanical system. The std yacht air will operate dockside .

IF you want a mechanical system I would talk to the big truck reefer folks for a used engine and compressor as a system start.

Last edited:
Thank you all for your opinions.

Another option, probably more viable, is to connect a AC alternator to the gear or to the engine and produce 6KVA AC power at 1800RPM which is the cruising speed of the boat, and run the cooling units with it. My units are AC powered.

Attachments

• P1150211.JPG
    P1150211.JPG
    65.1 KB · Views: 95
Not sure who actually manufacturers these, but several Marine A/C companies in the Miami area were touting this more sea-worthy rooftop unit that featured greater rust resistance in metal parts, and some parts replaced with plastic.....basically a truck or RV rooftop unit called Marine. Air cooled.

Like this one.

products - Dometic

or this under 1000 bucks:

SeaMach Air Cooled Marine Rooftop Air Conditioner by RVP Coleman® - Mach® - Worldwide Distribution

Both links show ACs similar to ours on exterior and interior. The lower one has pict w/ exact same interior distribution ceiling unit as our 1977 model. 36 yrs... and, little seems to have changed. Should be quite easy to have our old model repaired. Will be interesting to discuss w/ Pinasco Mechanical Contractors that Craig strongly recommended on post 10.

Thank you all for your opinions.

Another option, probably more viable, is to connect a AC alternator to the gear or to the engine and produce 6KVA AC power at 1800RPM which is the cruising speed of the boat, and run the cooling units with it. My units are AC powered.

So you did install what I call a cruise gen off the main engine! Right on!:thumb:

The concerrn with the water colloed roof top is the run distance as it might cool down and not be cold enough at the unit and or cool the ttal system down. The is the probelm we had with the Webasto hot water diesel heating and the reason we had to go with the biggest unit. The AC electric roof top are easy to install, and they also have a heater for those chilly mornings.

I would be interested in hearing more about the water cooled AC as we been talking about moving the boat to California in the next couple of years. So in stead of HEAT, will will need AC. :socool:

I would be interested in hearing more about the water cooled AC as we been talking about moving the boat to California in the next couple of years. So in stead of HEAT, will will need AC. :socool:
I have been in San Diego since 1996 and have never needed AC. (The delta, however, is completely different than the coast.) California has whatever climate you desire. Cold, warm, wet, dry, pick your poison.

Last edited:
The problem with running the engine at a fixed RPM to create 120V is when there is a change of engine speed the voltage and cycles sent to the Air Cond will vary .

There used to be mechanical setups that squeezed a belt with variable pullies to attempt a constant speed , but an engine speed change from steep head seas was beyond there ability.

A good sized Hyd setup , if it is installed anyway, is perhaps the best way to create 6KW or so.

Here is a look,

http://www.fabcopower.com/generat/hgen.htm

Last edited:

Again, thanks, Craig...

I contacted Pinasco and spoke with an old-boy (you probably know him, I didn’t get his name). He said expect a call back. Ben, their expert AC tech, later called me. Nice, knowledgeable fellows to briefly chat with.

Yup... if mechanical workings of our "1977-classic" Coleman AC are intact and workable it can be re charged and function. However, if there are repairs needed (ours has not been used for 5 yrs +) the cost may get too tall to bother and then a new unit is advised. With new basically duplicate AC units at $1K +/- and AC tech at $150 per hr - I've decision(s) to make.

One item is that to remove the old and install a new AC major alterations of flying bridge console are required - cause, orig AC was installed pre the console installation over it. That said... in its current position AC is serviceable from port or starboard via console doors (tight fit though) as well as from salon ceiling once its AC/Heat dial and distribution unit is dropped down. Decisions, decisions!!

Thinking this through... Ways Ta Go!

1. Have AC Tech visit and determine current AC’s condition; if OK recharge/restart. My Cost Approximation - $200 to $500 (not bad if unit can be made to fully function again and remain in working condition for a period of time)

2. Remove captain chair pedestal off bridge floor. Drastically cut open console’s center face-wall. Deal with console wires under gauges (excellent chance to make sure they are in good order). Off hook / remove current AC. Install new AC. Refasten chair pedestal. Build new console center face-wall (double doors or a screwed in panel??). My Cost Approximation - $1,500 to $1,750 (and a lot of time/effort by me! Fully contracted out I easily see 3 to 4 “Boat Dollar$$$$!! – for a couple of on the hook genset running AC days per yr – instead of swimming to cool off!) This alternative does not equate – in my mind, Admiral’s either!

3. Leave as is and swim a lot on the few really hot Delta Days!!! Cost $O.OO (No approximation, No effort, No problem!)

Sooo... Seems to be a nearly dead heat (pun intended) between # 1 and # 3. With # 3 currently maintaining 1st place due to inertia. I will personally delve into inspecting the current AC unit before calling to give #1 momentum. Looks like one o’ dem spring boat projects ta me!

Happy Boating Daze! - Art :dance:

For years we used a 5KW Seapower unit to power the ac. It was trouble free from day one until we pulled it off and sold it to be used for a second time when we disposed of the boat. It's now doing the same thing for it's new owners. To bad they don't make them under the Seapower name anymore, they were a great product.Larry

Back
Top Bottom