Bromine tablets for ac units

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wrwahl

Opinions on Bromine tablets added to filtration system in ac? Southeast waters are warm and growth n filters is a big problem.

Tried them and ate up my strainer in two applications, have heard small piece of copper works , but have not tried.

What does the manufacturer of your AC unit recommend?

Mine does not mention any special treatment.

Looking to impede growth in the strainer which increases during the warmer months (May through September). We remove and clean strainers every week to ten days. Still, the growth puts a strain on the ac system.

1" chlorine tablets work get. Havent lost a strainer yet, and Im not really sure why bromine would cause a failure either.

Yeah...my strainers are stainless. Thanks I'll look into the chlorine tabs

Tried bromine tablets in my system. Developed a stain below the discharge ports. Wasn't sure if it was from a reaction with the bronze strainer housing or AC heat exchanger. Decided that neither was good and stopped using the bromide. Been mostly in fresh water for the last year, so it hasn't been a problem. Will need to find another solution.

Ted

Last edited:
I've been using them for the last year and no issues with strainer and no critters growing.

I get the stains below the discharge with or without the Bromine. Looks as if the combination of tablets and cleaning the strainers once a week is the way we will have to go. Thanks for the comments.

Looking to impede growth in the strainer which increases during the warmer months (May through September). We remove and clean strainers every week to ten days. Still, the growth puts a strain on the ac system.

What are you doing about your engine?

we've been having growth issues here in GA in our ACs. really unacceptable when it's almost 100 and the humidity is through the roof.

Chlorine tablets are a great idea - we've got friends with pools, maybe I can borrow one to try it out.

Normally we pull the lines off the pump and blow them out with the hose every so often.

for broimine stains: use a small piece of hose with the same OD as the ID of your discharge through-hull and make a little drip-overhang-thingy to keep the water from runnign down the side of the boat. I'll post pictures when I get home if someone doesn't beat me to it.

you can usually get 1" chlorine tabs at walmart. I usually put 3 or 4 in my strainer because clear lake is anything but clear. worst growth ever.

I used whatever pol tablets I found in the store. used them several times a year, not all the time. never had a problem after that

for broimine stains: use a small piece of hose with the same OD as the ID of your discharge through-hull and make a little drip-overhang-thingy to keep the water from runnign down the side of the boat. I'll post pictures when I get home if someone doesn't beat me to it.

That will restrict the outlet. In effect, you are making it the diameter of the added hose.

You can slit the hose lengthwise. Only need a small lip

Diflecting the water from hitting the hull wasn't my concern. I'm concerned about what the bromine might be corroding in my AC system.

Ted

For the past 5 years we have found that a piece of heavy copper wire from Romex cable, about a foot long and wound in a spiral and dropped into the basket, has kept our intakes, engine and AC and generator, free of growth on the Chesapeake summers and FL winters. Previously we had barnacles and other growth in the intake strainers

Same experience with bromine tablets. For several years have put a small copper fitting, purchased at Home Depot, into strainer and it works great. Similar effect to copper bottom paint for growth.

I have used Bromine tablets and a small piece of copper pipe. Both work great. North east Florida is the same, growth is a problem. I have not had any adverse effects.

Diflecting the water from hitting the hull wasn't my concern. I'm concerned about what the bromine might be corroding in my AC system.

Ted

That's my concern as well and is the reason I asked about the manufacturer's recommendation. Nobody answered that.

Tried them and ate up my strainer in two applications, have heard small piece of copper works , but have not tried.

Pour chlorine into sea water and you get chlorine gas. Put bromine tablets in sea water and you kill algae but also get bromine gas. Both eat metal, but I guess on the plus side, the algae is dead. There was a thread on this subject a couple of years ago and the use of bromine tablets to clean a/c systems was staunchly defended, but your experience illustrates why it may not be a great idea. People do dumb things all the time and once they do them, frequently defend them, then recommend them to others, but chemistry is chemistry.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom