Closed Thread

Old 10-02-2012, 09:32 PM   #21
Guru

Vessel Name: Anastasia III
Vessel Model: Krogen 42
Never used bromine tablets, nor chlorine pool tablets. I use Clorox toilet tank tablets, and have been for about 20 years. They are inhibited so as not to corrode the metals in a toilet tank and have never done any damage to my AC system, nor other systems that use raw water. I break them up and use about 1/2 a tablet every time I clean the strainers. Works well.

Old 10-02-2012, 09:45 PM   #22
Grand Vizier

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickB View Post
http://www.stabilizedbromine.co/pdf/...%20Booklet.pdf

"Typical Values for BCDMH G and BCDMH Tab
Percent Active Ingredient 98.0
Weight Percent Active Bromine 32.4"

.................................................. ....................................

http://www.dtic.mil/cgi-bin/GetTRDoc?AD=ADA557490

http://ir.library.oregonstate.edu/xm...txt?sequence=3

.................................................. ................

"The bromine canister is attached to the SBE16 flushing circuit between the fluorometer and the transmissometer. It maintains brominated water that prevents the growth of phytoplankton inside the circuit and the sensors, in-between measurements.

The two methods have been tested during a dedicated experiment in the Aegean Sea and have proved to offer an efficient anti-fouling protection for at least three months"

http://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/docs...-1399-2006.pdf
Like I said, quit digging. You're starting to make a fool of yourself.

From the first document you referenced but apparently didn't read or perhaps understand:

"Examples of dosaging amounts of BCDMH biocides for the corresponding amounts of water to achieve 1 ppm bromine residual are as follows:"

1 ppm. Bromine tablets that the OP was asking about deliver 30 times that amount. Can you understand that there is a difference between the reactivity of one dosage that is a minimum of 30 times greater than another? I say a minimum because with the cannister system the OP was asking about, or JD's and your recommendation to just throw a couple of bromine tablets into the water strainer completely ignores the reality that bromine tablets are designed for FRESH water, not SALT water, and the presence of organics and NaCl results in a very different level of solubility. That's why the system you reference but don't understand specifies expensive equipment to ensure that you don't have more than 1 ppm continuous presence of the element in the water. Or are you suggesting that the amount of this element the copper piping an a/c system is exposed to has no impact on corrosion?

Tell you what, Rick. Don't answer. Save both of us and anyone else suffering through your continuing defense of ill-informed nonsense the grief. As usual, you respond to a simple question from someone on whether they can use bromine tablets to suppress algae growth with descriptions of systems like the one referenced above that due to its complexity, cost and totally different dosing capability has no relevance to the question of the OP, or any possible solution of value to a trawler owner.

Old 10-02-2012, 09:53 PM   #23
Grand Vizier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
Never used bromine tablets, nor chlorine pool tablets. I use Clorox toilet tank tablets, and have been for about 20 years. They are inhibited so as not to corrode the metals in a toilet tank and have never done any damage to my AC system, nor other systems that use raw water. I break them up and use about 1/2 a tablet every time I clean the strainers. Works well.
Probably just fine. I suspect this product bumps the chlorine in the water by a couple ppm and probably is harmless to metals, notwithstanding the fact that Chlorox has settled a class action lawsuit that claimed the product ate the metals in toilets.
Old 10-02-2012, 09:54 PM   #24
Guru

City: Cary, NC
Vessel Name: Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Model: Navigator 4200 Classic
Please keep it civil guys.
Old 10-02-2012, 10:39 PM   #25
Scraping Paint

City: Fort Lauderdale
Vessel Model: CHB 48 Zodiac YL 4.2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delfin View Post
Like I said, quit digging. You're starting to make a fool of yourself.
It is a fool's errand to try to tell you anything, that is for sure.

I am still waiting for you to describe all the horrible results from people putting pool tablets in their strainers ... surely you can provide more than insults and attacks to support your contention that doing so is either dangerous or damaging.

Put up or shut up is the operative phrase and so far you have only attacked my contributions (and made lame attempts to attack me personally) that bromine is routinely used as a biocide in seawater systems.

So where is your information Delphin or is it just more blustering?
Old 10-02-2012, 10:51 PM   #26
Grand Vizier

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickB View Post
It is a fool's errand to try to tell you anything, that is for sure.

I am still waiting for you to describe all the horrible results from people putting pool tablets in their strainers ... surely you can provide more than insults and attacks to support your contention that doing so is either dangerous or damaging.

Put up or shut up is the operative phrase and so far you have only attacked my contributions (and made lame attempts to attack me personally) that bromine is routinely used as a biocide in seawater systems.

So where is your information Delphin or is it just more blustering?
Not so much. As I said before, I never said that disaster would occur if people put pool tablets in their strainers. I merely pointed out what eludes you - that 1 or 2 ppm of a compound is less than 30 ppm of the same compound. That heating it up, as JD did by running the 30 ppm of the compound through his engine block makes the compound more reactive. That adding the compound to salt water makes it even more reactive. And that the compound is reactive with copper, which is found in the system the OP wants to introduce it into. This isn't bluster, it's just chemistry. But then again, facts, like chemistry, have never been your strong suit.

Closed Thread