Old 03-07-2016, 05:33 PM   #21
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
I remember a quote from one of the cooking show hosts saying he dislikes appliances and tools that have a single purpose. I think a bread maker would fall into this category.

We bought one for our home years ago but eventually gave it away because it didn't get used enough for the space it took up. I would think it would be even less appropriate for a boat unless you have a very large boat.

Have you considered baking bread in your oven (assuming you have one)?

We just buy bread at the store. We don't use a lot, it's not that good for your health.

rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 08:47 PM   #22
Guru

City: Southern Maine
Vessel Name: Cygnus
Vessel Model: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser
The oven isn't much of an option because I'd have to run the genset the whole time it was pre-heating and baking. I can let the bread maker do it's thing while underway, powered off the inverter. I opened up some additional stowage in the galley by removing an old TV/VCR that a PO had installed, so I have the room.

As for health, I never bought the Atkins diet theory. Lots of evil things in our modern diet are probably killing us, but bread has been a staple throughout human evolution. Some say it actually drove that evolution.

CaptTom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 09:12 PM   #23
Guru

City: NC
Quote:
Originally Posted by WesK View Post
I remember a quote from one of the cooking show hosts saying he dislikes appliances and tools that have a single purpose. I think a bread maker would fall into this category....
That was ol' Alton Brown. I liked his cooking show. Twas back when cooking shows showed how to cook and where not reality shows that are not reality.

Later,
Dan
dannc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 09:43 PM   #24
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Old 03-07-2016, 09:53 PM   #25
Guru

City: Jacksonville
Vessel Name: SONAS
Vessel Model: Grand Alaskan 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannc View Post
That was ol' Alton Brown. I liked his cooking show. Twas back when cooking shows showed how to cook and where not reality shows that are not reality.

Later,
Dan
Yeah, but Gordon Ramsey!
menzies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 05:17 PM   #26
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTom View Post
The oven isn't much of an option because I'd have to run the genset the whole time it was pre-heating and baking. I can let the bread maker do it's thing while underway, powered off the inverter. I opened up some additional stowage in the galley by removing an old TV/VCR that a PO had installed, so I have the room.

As for health, I never bought the Atkins diet theory. Lots of evil things in our modern diet are probably killing us, but bread has been a staple throughout human evolution. Some say it actually drove that evolution.
Bread is not good if one has high blood sugar. Of course, many boat staples like rice and noodles are not good either.

You are correct about evil things in our diets but fortunately, modern medicine has kept up so they can often cure the things our bad diets create.

As for the oven, I understand. We have propane so we can bake underway if we want to. Probably not a cake though.
Old 03-08-2016, 05:18 PM   #27
Guru

Quote:

Later,
Dan

Some of the cooking shows on PBS are pretty good. America's Test Kitchen for one.
Old 03-08-2016, 05:27 PM   #28
Guru

Quote:
Bread is not good if one has high blood sugar. Of course, many boat staples like rice and noodles are not good either.
An unfortunate generalization. It depends on the bread you choose. Wholewheat and other less refined grain breads are far better than high GI white bread often seen in the diet of those with diabetic conditions.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 06:40 PM   #29
Guru

Quote:

Some of the cooking shows on PBS are pretty good. America's Test Kitchen for one.
Yep, and I have subscribed to their magazines for years. Julia Childs old cooking shows are out on the Internet and they are a hoot to watch. She could be very funny, the shows have numerous mistakes both from her, production, the camera operator and noise in the background This just made the show real. AND she shows you how to COOK!

Some of the other PBS cooking shows are ok but then some are too showy. I saw one show about BBQ that seems to be a series but I have only see one or two episodes. The guy was showing his various BBQ rigs HE HAD MADE! One program had him BUILDING the BBQ from an old propane tank. They showed him cutting up the tank, he had properly filled the tank with water, and then started cutting. The program showed him cutting and welding until he had the finished BBQ smoker. You don't see THAT on Kitchen Stadium!

Later,
Dan
Old 03-08-2016, 06:49 PM   #30
Guru

I have not tried to bake on the grill but one should be able to bake bread in a dutch oven on a grill or on the stove top. Our bread maker made ok bread but the best bread, with the best crust, is when using the dutch oven and the oven. Using the lid on the dutch oven keeps in the moisture/steam which helps develop the crust.

Using the grill would keep the heat out of the boat.

I pretty much stopped making bread with white flour. Whole grain seems to last longer and a single slice is incredibly filling.

Later,
Dan
Old 03-08-2016, 09:23 PM   #31
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. WK. Re: post #26. Bread is also a source of sodium (salt) and should be eaten in moderation if one has high blood pressure (hypertension). The average North American eats a LOT of bread and probably never thinks of the salt "hidden" within. Average (commercial loaf) for ONE slice of white bread is 170mg which is 7% of one's RDI (Recommended daily intake).

http://www.fatsecret.com/calories-nu...e-bread/sodium
Old 03-09-2016, 10:56 AM   #32
Guru

I can do without bread most of the time but it's hard to find a sandwich that doesn't include it. I find some of the "non-white" breads ok, bun most cases I would rather do without. Just eat the filling off a plate.

There's a line from an old country song; "If I had known I was going to live this long, I would have taken better care of my body."

So, as we approach the golden years, we find that we have to watch what we eat and drink.
Old 04-12-2016, 04:35 PM   #33
Guru

City: UMR MM283
Vessel Name: Northern Lights II
Vessel Model: Bayliner 3870
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1460493049.531287.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	26.0 KB
ID:	50688
This is a pic of my 1 pound loaf bread maker, the 1st loaf of the year is about 1 hour into the process. I have the butter and honey ready for when it comes out.

Sent from my iPad using Trawler Forum
Old 04-13-2016, 02:29 PM   #34
Guru

City: Southern Maine
Vessel Name: Cygnus
Vessel Model: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser
Quote:
I pretty much stopped making bread with white flour. Whole grain seems to last longer and a single slice is incredibly filling.
After the first generic white bread loaf from the new bread maker, I moved on the the 100% whole wheat recipe. Wow, was it filling!

I was thinking in terms of healthier bread, but I like the idea of having a sandwich that doesn't leave me hungry for a snack or side dish. I'm going to stock up on wheat flour.
CaptTom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 02:47 PM   #35
Guru

City: UMR MM283
Vessel Name: Northern Lights II
Vessel Model: Bayliner 3870
I've only made whole wheat, I like a grilled ham and cheese on homemade bread.

Sent from my iPad using Trawler Forum