Old 08-19-2016, 02:36 PM   #101
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by WesK View Post
That advice gets passed around a lot but you have to balance your speed with the ability to control the boat. Wind and/or current can get you and unlike parking a car at Walmart, you can't just stop and figure out what to do next.
One of the hardest things for me to adapt to with a trawler compared to my sailboat was this very thing. With the sailboat, I would generally ghost in and out of slips with very little speed and generally the engine was in neutral until the the very end when a second of reverse brought us to a stand still.

That doesn't work with my boat now. The rudder is small by comparison and there is no fin keel to pivot the boat around. I am slowly learning that I need to use the rudder and throttle to move the stern around in both forward and reverse. The sailboat was more like racing on an autocross course, the power boat is more like drifting. You have to apply power to get the rear end too move.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 02:36 PM   #102
Guru

City: Kitimat, North Coast BC
Vessel Name: Badger
Vessel Model: 30' Sundowner Tug
Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
How much complication does one want in the way of engines and motors? Twin propulsion plants, a genset, a bow thruster, auto-pilot, and a stern thruster?
Look into the Volvo IPS dual pod steering system.

Want to do a figure 8 while keeping the same heading. No problem. Want to "hover" in place 6 inches from the dock (linked to GPS) in tricky wind and/or currents? Eezy-peezy.

Not for me, but about as accurate as you can get with no bow or stern thrusters.

Old 08-19-2016, 03:18 PM   #103
Guru

City: gulf coast
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur Bricker View Post
Yesterday, my engine stalled while docking head on. About 8 ft away. I was solo and no dock hand, so crash!! The engine has a stern thruster that runs off the front pully. The thruster slowed the motor to a stall. To avoid another crash, I want to raise the RPMs to 700 or 750. I am now at 650. Looking for imput on this matter Archie Bricker
just nudge the throttle up a bit. However most diesels have bumper springs in the IP to prevent stalling. It may be adjustable. What make and model engine?
bayview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 03:55 PM   #104

City: Au Gres
Vessel Name: Never Say Never
Vessel Model: President 41 DC
I would like to have both bow and stern thrusters on our 41' boat. My reasoning is that even though I have been boating for 48 years and am pretty good at handling a boat we are getting older and not as agile or as strong. My wife broke her arm badly last year and had a shoulder replacement that did not work. She still has almost no strength and very little range of motion. We just got back from the east coast and in the process went through 73 locks. Thrusters would have made it much easier and less demanding on her arm. If we put thrusters on the boat and are able to extend our boating life by 7 to 8 years longer than we would be able to without thrusters, what is that worth??? I do not have room for an internal bow thruster due to water tanks under the forward cabin deck. I will be putting in a stern thruster since it is so easy to do. For the bow thruster, I am looking at the external pod thrusters that bolt onto the keel below the water. Does anyone have experience with them? Sidepower looks pretty good with their variable speed controller.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 04:01 PM   #105
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comodave View Post
I would like to have both bow and stern thrusters on our 41' boat. My reasoning is that even though I have been boating for 48 years and am pretty good at handling a boat we are getting older and not as agile or as strong. My wife broke her arm badly last year and had a shoulder replacement that did not work. She still has almost no strength and very little range of motion. We just got back from the east coast and in the process went through 73 locks. Thrusters would have made it much easier and less demanding on her arm. If we put thrusters on the boat and are able to extend our boating life by 7 to 8 years longer than we would be able to without thrusters, what is that worth??? I do not have room for an internal bow thruster due to water tanks under the forward cabin deck. I will be putting in a stern thruster since it is so easy to do. For the bow thruster, I am looking at the external pod thrusters that bolt onto the keel below the water. Does anyone have experience with them? Sidepower looks pretty good with their variable speed controller.
...absolutely...pleasure boating...whatever it takes.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 04:22 PM   #106
TF Site Team

City: Chicago, IL
Vessel Name: Bay Pelican
Vessel Model: Krogen 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gdavid View Post
The charter captain I worked for always advised to never approach a dock faster than you are willing to hit it.
While I am in full agreement with this concept, I have been in a number of situations where the cross winds, or following winds were such that speed / power was necessary to keep control of the boat.
Old 08-19-2016, 04:53 PM   #107
Guru

City: Seneca Lake NY
Vessel Name: Bacchus
Vessel Model: MS 34 HT Trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comodave View Post
I would like to have both bow and stern thrusters on our 41' boat. My reasoning is that even though I have been boating for 48 years and am pretty good at handling a boat we are getting older and not as agile or as strong. My wife broke her arm badly last year and had a shoulder replacement that did not work. She still has almost no strength and very little range of motion. We just got back from the east coast and in the process went through 73 locks. Thrusters would have made it much easier and less demanding on her arm. If we put thrusters on the boat and are able to extend our boating life by 7 to 8 years longer than we would be able to without thrusters, what is that worth??? I do not chave room for an internal bow thruster due to water tanks under the forward cabin deck. I will be putting in a stern thruster since it is so easy to do. For the bow thruster, I am looking at the external pod thrusters that bolt onto the keel below the water. Does anyone have experience with them? Sidepower looks pretty good with their variable speed controller.
Comodave has stated my thoughts better than I could have. Fortunately we have single main w sidepower thrusters both ends. Our MShip has little prop walk due to tunnel and also a small rudder.
I get lots of grief but it's mostly jealousy...IMHO
why not make boating easy and fun???? If the Admiral is happy so is the Capt.
Bacchus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 05:24 PM   #108

City: Queensland
Vessel Model: Milkraft 60 converted trawler
Hard lock port or starb and put in fwd gear gets dramatic changes in direction at the pointy end but not much happens when I do the same in reverse with mine due to, I suspect, a nozzle.

Stern thruster would be my choice for my boat as I would like to be able to shunt the bum across a few feet at times coming into a berth.
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 08:40 PM   #109
Guru

City: kemah
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhays View Post
That doesn't work with my boat now. The rudder is small by comparison
That is the key.

The PO of my 43' ocean alexander showed me how to man handle a small rudder if you will...

The PO would literally floor it in forward to get it to turn, and then floor it in reverse to get the boat to stop moving altogether. He repeated the forward hammer followed by the reverse hammer until the boat turned to exactly where he wanted it.

He looked at me cringing and said kid, you gotta treat it like your bitch. I was 58.
what_barnacles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 08:45 PM   #110
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Thrusters allow one to go easy on their propulsion engines' transmissions.
Old 08-19-2016, 09:08 PM   #111
Guru

City: Kitimat, North Coast BC
Vessel Name: Badger
Vessel Model: 30' Sundowner Tug
Quote:
Originally Posted by MurrayM View Post
Look into the Volvo IPS dual pod steering system.

Want to do a figure 8 while keeping the same heading. No problem. Want to "hover" in place 6 inches from the dock (linked to GPS) in tricky wind and/or currents? Eezy-peezy.

Not for me, but about as accurate as you can get with no bow or stern thrusters.
Crazy cool & crazy expensive;

Old 08-19-2016, 10:04 PM   #112
Master and Commander

Isn't the running gear vulnerable, as in protrudng and unprotected?
Old 08-19-2016, 10:14 PM   #113
Guru

City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
Quote:
You mean like on most boats?
Capt.Bill11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 10:23 PM   #114
Master and Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.Bill11 View Post
Yes. Hopefully, I'm and some others are the exceptions.

Old 08-19-2016, 10:26 PM   #115
Guru

City: Sydney
Quote:

I think they are designed for high speed modern hulls not floating rust buckets
gaston is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 05:44 AM   #116
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Vessel Name: Small Incentive
Vessel Model: Boston Whaler 130 Sport
The prop in that picture is protected on bottom, but not either side. IPS has a skeg like an outboard.

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 06:32 AM   #117
Guru

City: RI
Quote:
Originally Posted by caltexflanc View Post
The prop in that picture is protected on bottom, but not either side. IPS has a skeg like an outboard.
I am fascinated by the idea of both Volvo's IPS and the Cummins Zeus drives. Before we ordered our American Tug, we looked at the Sabre lineup as we really like the experience we had at Sabre when we purchased our sailboat from them 11 years ago. The word from "inside" is that Sabre is moving toward Volvo as the drivetrain of choice these days. When asked about the physical exposure of the drives and those forward facing propellers they claim to know of few "incidents". Not "no incidents" but not many...
We met a Sabre owner who knocked a Zeus drive off on a sandbar once. Insurance replaced the drive...

Everyone who has handled a Zeus or IPS loves the handling and maneuverability of the system. Even in Maine, the lobster pot haven of the world, people love them. They just both look so exposed to my eye, especially the IPS system!
In the end, we chose a very different boat design so we will simply have to observe these from a distance.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	25.2 KB
ID:	55382  
Old 08-20-2016, 07:38 AM   #118
Guru

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.Bill11 View Post
NOT like most boats...IPS Has a skeg BEHIND the props... NO PROTECTION FWD
The owner of this sweet Tiara has changed props twice now due to logs.
IMHO IPS type drives are more vulnerable...higher efficiency comes at a price.

The good news is this one stalled the engine but didn't affect shafts - only props which amazingly were repaired and looked like new.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	_65.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	149.5 KB
ID:	55383  
Old 08-20-2016, 07:49 AM   #119
Guru

City: RI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacchus View Post
NOT like most boats...IPS Has a skeg BEHIND the props... NO PROTECTION FWD
The owner of this sweet Tiara has changed props twice now due to logs.
IMHO IPS type drives are more vulnerable...higher efficiency comes at a price.

The good news is this one stalled the engine but didn't affect shafts - only props which amazingly were repaired and looked like new.
Nothing like a picture to solidify my suspicions! That is simply amazing.
I'd love to know what happens when you snag a pot warp with those wheels too. Got any pictures of that?

Another question I have is what happens to steering if you disable one of the drives? I believe these boats steer by some kind of force vectoring of the drives or do the drives actually pivot?

Curious,
Bruce
Old 08-20-2016, 07:54 AM   #120
Guru

They drive normal at lo or hi speed...you have to engage the computer & joy stick at lo speed and you then control direction and thrust w the joy stick.
The drives rotate but less than you might guess...I forget the exact # but memory says it's around +\- 30* and they can reverse...pretty cool to run but I don't think I'd invest in them. I can do almost the same maneuvers w single main and 2 thrusters...I just have to be cautious to not over do the thruster use