Old 06-22-2016, 12:26 AM   #21
TF Site Team

City: Seattle, WA
Vessel Name: Pau Hana
Vessel Model: 1989 PT52 Overseas Yachtfisher
We have an Exturn Duplex and absolutely love it. I and a friend installed it over a weekend haulout- hauled Friday morning, pulled props for repair, installed thruster and bottom painted Saturday and Sunday. Installed props and splashed Monday.

The physical install is simple- like 2 on a 10 scale simple. I took more time planning the install and pre-rigging the electrical than installing the thruster itself.

It's deeper than a tunnel thruster, so it doesn't suck up surface debris- and it's quiet. Really quiet. It can run for up to 5 minutes continuously because the unit is surrounded by water which acts as a heat sink.

Thrust-wise, it has plenty of power to push our bow as needed in calm or windy conditions.

Any questions, PM me.

1989 52' PT Overseas yachtfisher
Pau Hana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 02:17 AM   #22
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Lotus
Vessel Model: Clipper (CHB) 34 Sedan/Europa style
Send a message via Skype™ to Peter B
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
I'm a huge fan of thrusters. Even if I ordered a boat in the 35' range new, I'd get them. However, if I had a boat in that range or was buying a used boat in that range, then I would not go through what it takes in work or cost to add them.
That about sums my experience up as well. The first few times we went out I used to think like the OP - I must get a thruster. But cost put me off, and after I twigged to the ways to get the boat to manoeuvre as I wanted, the need for a thruster faded away completely. Even if money was no object I would not put one in this boat now. The resale is just not there. A new, or much newer boat - maybe...

Old 06-22-2016, 07:17 AM   #23
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pau Hana View Post
We have an Exturn Duplex and absolutely love it. I and a friend installed it over a weekend haulout- hauled Friday morning, pulled props for repair, installed thruster and bottom painted Saturday and Sunday. Installed props and splashed Monday.

The physical install is simple- like 2 on a 10 scale simple. I took more time planning the install and pre-rigging the electrical than installing the thruster itself.

It's deeper than a tunnel thruster, so it doesn't suck up surface debris- and it's quiet. Really quiet. It can run for up to 5 minutes continuously because the unit is surrounded by water which acts as a heat sink.

Thrust-wise, it has plenty of power to push our bow as needed in calm or windy conditions.

Any questions, PM me.
I would love to hear more of your experience and all the Pros and Cons you see since you're the first person I've encountered with them in use. What type boats you see them working well for. What happens with them at speed? What impact on speed?
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 07:43 AM   #24
TF Site Team

We travel at trawler speed 99% of the time, so I can't speak as to higher speed concerns. At our normal pace, there is no impact on handling or speed- the boat acts and feels just as it did prior to the install. Exturn states there is negligible drag concern, and our experience agrees with them.

The only boat I know of that has an Exturn thruster installed is a 3870 Bayliner- he has had the same results we have had.

No cons that I can think of at this time.

A nice thing- Exturn is part of Sidepower, so there is some part interchange (such as controllers) that I took advantage of. The salon control is an Exturn branded joystick, while the flybridge control is a Sidepower branded touch pad. Both perform flawlessly and can turn the system on or off.

Old 06-22-2016, 07:45 AM   #25
Guru

City: Rodney Bay Lagoon
Vessel Name: "Dragon Lady"
Vessel Model: DeFever 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Codger2 View Post
Bite the bullet and do it the right way! Pull the boat and install a tunnel unit....you'll never regret it.
Agreed. Check the manufacturer's recommended power for you boat, then go at least one size larger.
Shoalwaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 08:43 AM   #26
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pau Hana View Post
We travel at trawler speed 99% of the time, so I can't speak as to higher speed concerns. At our normal pace, there is no impact on handling or speed- the boat acts and feels just as it did prior to the install. Exturn states there is negligible drag concern, and our experience agrees with them.

The only boat I know of that has an Exturn thruster installed is a 3870 Bayliner- he has had the same results we have had.

No cons that I can think of at this time.

A nice thing- Exturn is part of Sidepower, so there is some part interchange (such as controllers) that I took advantage of. The salon control is an Exturn branded joystick, while the flybridge control is a Sidepower branded touch pad. Both perform flawlessly and can turn the system on or off.
I'm confused a bit. I thought eXturn was a brand owned by Yacht Controller and Sleipner/Side-power just had their EX Series of thrusters. I must say their thrusters sure look the same.

I had seen external thrusters on Sleipner/Side-power's web pages but not heard of actual users. I'm a huge fan of the company and they're very innovative in many ways. Essentially these are pods, although must say the propellers are much better protected than Zeus and IPS. Certainly a far easier route for retrofitting and they indicate for any hull form.

A couple of limitations. They recommend boats from 6 meters to 15 meters so above 49' not recommended. Based on your experience though they seem like an excellent option for a retrofit on a 35' or so boat. The other limitation is they don't recommend for speeds greater than 35 knots due to possible increased splashing in higher speeds with an externally mounted bow thruster. Last, they say in some applications a cowl may need to be added to direct adequate water to the unit.

https://side-power.com/kategori/1831/ex-serien/

I'm a big fan, call me even a convert, of Sleipner and Side-Power and their innovation. We have their thrusters on our latest boat as well as their Vector Fins for stabilizers and are very impressed with the fins and their improvement on straight fins. I would feel comfortable with their products.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 09:06 AM   #27
TF Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Codger2 View Post
You say that you "desperately" need a bow thruster yet you are looking for a cheap way out! Bite the bullet and do it the right way! Pull the boat and install a tunnel unit....you'll never regret it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoalwaters View Post
Agreed. Check the manufacturer's recommended power for you boat, then go at least one size larger.
Why just limit the selection to a tunnel unit? While I'll agree that the side shift line is ugly, it is still a functional viable alternative to a $15k tunnel unit. Our Exturn is another viable alternative to popping 2 9" holes in the hull.

As for resale concerns- I set up the thruster with a pair of AGMs, a dedicated charger, and all wiring done properly. I have no worries that the thruster will have a negative impact on resale.