Old 01-05-2016, 05:34 PM   #41
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
This has been an incredibly interesting thread. I liked Sidepower but had not seen them widely discussed here and the overall positive response makes me feel even more comfortable with them. Also, liked the repeated warning not to undersize.

BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 09:56 PM   #42
Guru

City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dixie Life View Post
When I back out of the slip an need to make a 90 deg turn I have to stay on the switch for a long time (15+ sec).
Do you have two engines?

Capt.Bill11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 02:11 AM   #43
Hospitality Officer

City: Pittwater
Vessel Name: Sarawana
Vessel Model: IG 36 Quad Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pau Hana View Post
Hi, Bruce,

I'll get photos uploaded this afternoon from the home computer.

The install was very easy; it took more time to plan the electrical layout and control layout than to do the actual install.

We started the external thruster install on a Friday afternoon, and were completed by Saturday afternoon. This time included the drilling of the mounting holes, priming and painting of the unit, hanging the relays, and the physical installation of the thruster itself. I installed the Duplex model, so there were 2 2" main holes and 4 3/4" stabilizing holes drilled into the hull bottom.

For the electrical side, I installed 2 Optima AGM Bluetop batteries, a dedicated 12V charger, the thruster fuses, and power shutoff switch under the forward bunk. I did the electrical side of the install just before we hauled out, while the boat was afloat. This part of the install took about 3 hours.

We've had the boat out several times, and there is no difference in handling or speed I've noticed. The thruster is placed at the forefoot of the boat, and does not cavitate when in use. The thruster is quiet, and pushes the boat in a controlled manner. It is very effective in windy situations.

Install tips- Exturn/Yacht Thruster recommended that I plan the install in detail before hauling, and have wiring pre-cut with end lugs installed. I did so, and it made all the difference in the ease of installation. I used 2/0 wire for all power connection, with all lugs crimped and shrink-wrapped. Otherwise, the Exturn installation instructions are pretty straightforward.

Photos:

Yacht Thruster Powerboat Installations

I am also thinking of going down this path, and as Bruce & I share the same IG 36' hulls I think I will wait till Bruce takes the plunge and reports back.

Bruce have you got anyone in mind to do the install? I have been given a ball park figure of about $10K.

Great thread
Andy G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 04:10 PM   #44
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dixie Life View Post
... When I back out of the slip an need to make a 90 deg turn I have to stay on the switch for a long time (15+ sec). If I had it to do over I would have nothing less than the SE100 at 24V. As has already been stated, you can never have to much power ...
Takes me seven seconds with a 24-volt unit.
Old 01-06-2016, 04:44 PM   #45
Veteran Member

City: Jamestown, Ca.
Vessel Name: Down East Yankee
Vessel Model: Defever 40 by Down East
Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
Takes me seven seconds with a 24-volt unit.
Hi Mark. Was on your boat last year. Loved it! What is the weight of your boat and thruster installed?

Bob
remwines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 06:37 PM   #46
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy G View Post
[/B]

I am also thinking of going down this path, and as Bruce & I share the same IG 36' hulls I think I will wait till Bruce takes the plunge and reports back.

Bruce have you got anyone in mind to do the install? I have been given a ball park figure of about $10K.

Great thread
I have to talk to the Exturn distributors, they are nearby in Lane Cove West, hoping to eyeball the product and get more info, like current draw, etc.The published info says run time is up to 5 minutes because the unit is underwater and dissipates heat, by then the batteries would be dead or my head spinning with all the rotations. Last time I spoke to someone about Exturn they`d not done a displacement type boat and had drag concerns, so I`ll find out about that, maybe they`ll do one as a trial/test(?discount). I`ll ask them for a fitting recommendation, no point reinventing the wheel. Unsure about adding battery, if I can feed the 1200w windlass maybe I can feed the thruster. I `ll post what I discover.
This year I anticipate slipping at Fenwicks at Brooklyn, they have an excellent reputation and good hardstand space; most people on Dolphin slip there.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 07:35 PM   #47
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by remwines View Post
Hi Mark. Was on your boat last year. Loved it! What is the weight of your boat and thruster installed?

Bob
The Coot is 14 tons. Don't recall the brand of its thruster, but it's my "master blaster." Use it every time I take the boat out, whether needed or not. Want to exercise it and assure it's still operational.

Enjoyed your wines and hospitality last year!
Old 01-06-2016, 08:04 PM   #48
Veteran Member

City: Jamestown, Ca.
Vessel Name: Down East Yankee
Vessel Model: Defever 40 by Down East
Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
The Coot is 14 tons. Don't recall the brand of its thruster, but it's my "master blaster." Use it every time I take the boat out, whether needed or not. Want to exercise it and assure it's still operational.
Enjoyed your wines and hospitality last year!
I watched your video. It does spin it nicely. Anyways, much more wine and Delta travel to come. Just got to get the upgrades and re-power out of the way.

Bob

remwines is offline   Reply With Quote