Old 09-07-2016, 08:41 AM   #21
Guru

City: East Coast
I think the important thing here is for everyone to know that something like this could possibly happen and be familiar enough with their boat that they can take an appropriate action quickly and without having to stop and think about it.

WesK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 08:43 AM   #22

While I agree that it might not be necessary,And not necessarily cheap at that,it seems that a lot of boaters are chosing fail safe systems backups(think redundancy).This should actually be something that is an option from the thruster installers.Or the alternative might be a lot of fiberglass repair.Just an option.IMHO

tinped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 08:45 AM   #23
Guru

City: Victoria TX
Vessel Name: Bijou
Vessel Model: 2008 Island Packet steadysailer
The more I think about this, my thruster has an overload circuit that has opened on me before when I've laid on the thruster too long. Wouldn't that kick in?
cardude01 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 08:56 AM   #24

I believe that is only on thermal overload,which most likely would have occurred if the thrusters were electric,not hydraulic. The question would be if they overloaded before the boat struck another boat,dock ,rocks,etc.
Old 09-07-2016, 09:38 AM   #25
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardude01 View Post
The more I think about this, my thruster has an overload circuit that has opened on me before when I've laid on the thruster too long. Wouldn't that kick in?

Wouldn't it depend on how the overload works? If the overload protection works by opening the switch or solenoid that is faulty and stuck shut, then it likely wouldn't work.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 09:46 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhays View Post
Wouldn't it depend on how the overload works? If the overload protection works by opening the switch or solenoid that is faulty and stuck shut, then it likely wouldn't work.
usually in series with the contacts,installed as a motor protection,so as a safety,it will disconnect the power to motor,regardless of any issues with the contacts.
Old 09-07-2016, 09:52 AM   #27

They are known as thermal overloads,or street name "heaters".They are sized for the normal running load of a motor,and the thermal contacts will open if the motor starts to exceed the rated current draw.When they cool down,they will reset.
Old 09-07-2016, 09:54 AM   #28

What is a thermal overload used for?

The thermal overload is designed to open the starting circuit and thus cut the power to the motor in the event of the motor drawing too much current from the supply for an extended time. The overload relay has a normally closed contact which opens due to heat generated by excessive current flowing through the circuit.

Old 09-07-2016, 10:09 AM   #29
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Thanks tinped. So the overload protection is independent of any of the other switches or contacts. Yet another thing I learned from TF.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 10:11 AM   #30
TF Site Team

City: Chicago, IL
Vessel Name: Bay Pelican
Vessel Model: Krogen 42
The on thruster solinoid for my Vetus bow thruster is such that the contacts can stick (welded actually) and the thruster is locked on. When this happened I was saved by a battery switch that cuts off power to thruster. Fast moving and the Admiral taking the helm were necessary.
Old 09-07-2016, 10:40 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhays View Post
Thanks tinped. So the overload protection is independent of any of the other switches or contacts. Yet another thing I learned from TF.
Yes,specifically designed to protect the motor as a safety,but not designed as an operating control.There may be other safeties built into thrusters,but this one would definitely stop the motor,even if the contacts were welded.Eventually this would have occurred to the op,just not necessarily in time to be able to stop the boat when needed to avoid hazards.Boaters normally refer to this as "timing out",and different manuf.have different parameters,some up to three minutes,or as little as one.
Old 09-07-2016, 10:43 AM   #32

City: Kenosha, WI
Vessel Name: Tortuga
Vessel Model: Hershine 37
Side power makes a auto switch just for this purpose. Installed at the helm, it disconnects the power to the thruster remotely in case the thurster will not shut off. IT must be a problem as they have a product to provide a solution. It is pricey at $500

http://savingtortuga.blogspot.com/
Greatlaker221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 10:44 AM   #33

City: Puget Sound
Vessel Name: Ka_sea_ta
Vessel Model: 48 Defever
If your really anal about this sort of thing, (I believe this is a very rare occurrence) but once would make a believer outta me. I would add a 12 or 24 vdc contactor in series with supply cable. Power the contactor from the helm(s) with a seperate switch or the switch on the joystick. By the way the Sidepower recommends a manual disconnect I use a battery switch that is inconveniently located.
Ka_sea_ta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 10:52 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatlaker221 View Post
Side power makes a auto switch just for this purpose. Installed at the helm, it disconnects the power to the thruster remotely in case the thurster will not shut off. IT must be a problem as they have a product to provide a solution. It is pricey at $500

perfect.
Old 09-07-2016, 10:57 AM   #35

The contactor would achieve the same results as the shunt trip,but I was trying to consider that space is usually limited,And replacing the thruster disconnect with a shunt trip would be more concise.A contactor would definitely be an option,but by the time you get one in a weather resistant cabinet,the price might be the same.
Old 09-07-2016, 11:00 AM   #36

City: Puget Sound
Vessel Name: Ka_sea_ta
Vessel Model: 48 Defever
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinped View Post
The contactor would achieve the same results as the shunt trip,but I was trying to consider that space is usually limited,And replacing the thruster disconnect with a shunt trip would be more concise.A contactor would definitely be an option,but by the time you get one in a weather resistant cabinet,the price might be the same.

Starter solenoid
Ka_sea_ta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 11:17 AM   #37
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinped View Post
What is a thermal overload used for?

The thermal overload is designed to open the starting circuit and thus cut the power to the motor in the event of the motor drawing too much current from the supply for an extended time. The overload relay has a normally closed contact which opens due to heat generated by excessive current flowing through the circuit.
It's important to know that the thermal overload protector may be self resetting (when the temperature is back within operating range). So, the thruster that shut itself off may restart when you least expect it to.
Old 09-07-2016, 11:19 AM   #38
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatlaker221 View Post

The Blue Seas remote battery switch would do the same thing for $150 or so.
Old 09-07-2016, 11:29 AM   #39

I am guessing that the sidepower one would also include the shunt trip on the thruster side,that's why it is so expensive.A stop swich that I showed before is about 40 bucks,the money is in the breaker.What is included with blue seas system? thanks
Old 09-07-2016, 11:52 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesK View Post
The Blue Seas remote battery switch would do the same thing for $150 or so.
just looked at it,and it is complete.Works in reverse,push to activate,not deactivate,but that is ok as long as properly labeled.Good find,great idea,kudos.