Boats with large showers and heads

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

OneofSix

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Always Home
Vessel Make
DeFever 47 POC
Good day!

Spouse is a big guy. We are looking for our first liveaboard boat. He is 6'5" so we are concerned about having head space, bathroom space. Finding room to change the bed to a California Queen is another subject.

But in all the pictures on yacht world of different types of trawler and motor yachts, the Heads and Showers always look cramped.

What do you experienced members know of such things?
Do we get a trawler we like than re-arrange head and shower space?
Find a boat that has the largest shower and deal with it?
Can the heads be moved? The shower space be expanded? Has anyone done that?

Coming from a land lubber home, we are used to being able to find dimensions in the floor plans for home models. Not so for these older boats...boats that we can afford, that is.

Any and all input is appreciated. Thank you.

1/6-in most boats in the general size range here, heads are going to be a bit cramped, that is just the nature of boats and I think you will just have to get used to that. Your issue it seems to me is height. You won't find that kind of info in most boat listings, you have to call and ask. You should be able to find a boat that will accommodate 6'5".

I can think of several trawlers that have been designed and built by builders who are well over 6'. The Ruben Trane at Island Pilot builds boats with lots of headroom. Kurt Marsh built some "Nova Scotia" boats with high headroom and center master berths which could accommodate king size beds. The headroom on our boat (Great Harbour) is 7'.

As for heads/showers - they are certainly not house size but they are full height and our master shower is 30"x30".

Are you looking to purchase a previously owned vessel or have one built?

Good luck in your search,
Henry

My family and I find our Endeavour TrawlerCat 44 works well for us. I'm 6'5". My sons are 6'4" and 6'6".

Best of luck with your search.

The most spacious head in an under 40' boat award definitely goes to the Sea Horse Marine Coot. Mark Pierce, a member here has one and cavernous is an apt description.

He would have to comment on the height issue as at 5'-11" I never pay attention to that.

The Coot's "head" is pretty-good sized, especially for the toilet and shower. The sink is a bit closed in: I squeeze my broad shoulders over the sink and feel secure. (Photo taken while the boat was under construction.)

img_157543_0_6d9d935035bb88f4b1c32dfa1e9a335c.jpg

Toilet view from shower:

img_157543_1_8c1730137e89ce8b4476ee06e9a7f359.jpg

Shower:

img_157543_2_3bbcebf35a790732bedac4f75e1c5c8a.jpg

Last edited:
Not many boats will accommodate a 6’ 5” person. In 3 inches heels I am 6’ 2” with a couple of inches to spare. However there are some places I have hit my head enough time that I have wised up.:banghead: Height is something I have not paid to much attention to when looking at boats even with heels. :flowers:

Boat interiors are much like dirt house, actual maybe simpler as they are one sheet of plywood. So the interior could be moved around but changing the height probable could not.

Surely in the 40 or under category, the king of showers must be Endeavour 40 PowerCat, which features a huge roman shower, basically being a head and sink on deck level and three steps down into the starboard hull which holds the shower. I think Bob Vincent must have some kind of head fetish or something, cuz Endeavour boats, even at 30 ft., have huge heads with spacious, separate showers.

Attachments

• IMG_0444.JPG
    IMG_0444.JPG
    26.6 KB · Views: 153
  • IMG_0593_.jpg
    IMG_0593_.jpg
    16.5 KB · Views: 146
If a shower helps you pick a boat, try a 38 Gulfstar MC. Large head with tub/shower.

If you come across one, an IG 36' Europa may fit the bill in they have a large shower and seperate head.

Bruce, one of the mods here, has one and I'm sure he would be happy to supply more detail.

Henry, We are looking for a used boat that'll fit our price range. I figure we will be in the 45-48 ft size boat based on my man's size. His favorite store is the "Tall and Big Man" store. Height and Width are concerns.

John, thanks for the pictures of the Cat 44. I went on a Cat recently and negotiating the narrow hallways will make it a "no" on our list. The Galley down was a bit tight.

According to my husband... toilets and showers make the house. Since this will be our house, it has to fit. OR as Phil says... move a wall here or there and make our own space. Just don't know how easy that will be.

Thanks for all the others ideas. I have new boats to look at. The diagrams I find are difficult to gauge the interior room. So, I thought I would come to the experts... You all.

If you buy a two bathroom boat you could make one toilet and sink and the other just a shower. That is what we did. Main bath is toilet and sink, the master is same sink with separate shower. Being in the bow the shower is about 8 ft wide at the top and narrow down to about 4 ft and 3 ft deep.

Attachments

• srareeoom head.jpg
    srareeoom head.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 149
  • main head.jpg
    main head.jpg
    138 KB · Views: 145
Phil, that's a grand idea! We were beginning to think the same thing. Use the 2nd bath as a WetHead or shower only.

I see in the DeFever 47 POC that it has 3 heads. We were thinking of re-fitting the joined baths into one big shower/toilet. Anyone else do that?

In 3 inches heels I am 6’ 2” with a couple of inches to spare.

Still, even with the heals, Phil steps unmolested into his shower.

Attachments

• srareeoom head.jpg
    srareeoom head.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 1,081
Our DeFever 48 has 6-10 headroom in the salon and the shower in the master is very large and "normal" shaped.

Now that's a worry, even the colour scheme matches.

Still, even with the heals, Phil steps unmolested into his shower.

As you can see even with 3” pink heels that is still plenty of head room as the Eagle deck sweeps up. ;)

Close but no cigar! :nonono: Please if you are going to photoshop me at least loose a 100 lbs, the belly, added a full head of hair and a little more modesty covered/clothed. However, I do love the heels! :flowers:

Our color scheme is a balance between female and male to match the red teak wood tone. Masculine darker colors with a famine touch. :thumb:

Well, for what it's worth, my Krogen Manatee has 7' in the head and 6'9" in the shower.

Attachments

• frank-cotham-thank-goodness-you-re-here-his-dish-is-empty-new-yorker-cartoon.jpg
    frank-cotham-thank-goodness-you-re-here-his-dish-is-empty-new-yorker-cartoon.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 88
Large showers / heads etc can be a bit of an issue in a sea way. Its kinda nice to have some elbow room but its also nice to have some elbow support for them "healing" moments.

:thumb:

Back
Top Bottom