Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 06-23-2016, 09:49 AM   #1
Veteran Member
 
City: Rockport, Ontario
Country: Canada
Vessel Name: Avalon Breeze
Vessel Model: 1986 Oceania 35 Sundeck
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 47
Boat listing

My boat is listing to starboard slightly. No, she's not taking on water. She has two fuel tanks; the port tank is 5/8 full and the starboard is 8/8. Is there a way to level the boat by redistributing the fuel.? My boat has two 200 gal tanks.


Sent from my iPad using Trawler Forum
__________________
Advertisement

Oceania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 11:11 AM   #2
Guru
 
koliver's Avatar
 
City: Saltspring Island
Country: BC, canada
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 1,815
Look near your Racor filters. There should be a valve on a line connecting both feed lines, as they close in on the Racors. If you simply open that valve, the boat will level out. Then close the valve again.

If you are using only one engine, hence the uneven consumption, you should be able to close off the tank you don't want to use, then open the crossover valve, so as to feed the working engine from the full tank, no matter which side it is on.
__________________

koliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 03:11 PM   #3
Guru
 
dhays's Avatar
 
City: Gig Harbor
Country: United States
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 2,747
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oceania View Post
My boat is listing to starboard slightly. No, she's not taking on water. She has two fuel tanks; the port tank is 5/8 full and the starboard is 8/8. Is there a way to level the boat by redistributing the fuel.? My boat has two 200 gal tanks.


Sent from my iPad using Trawler Forum
Some boats have a fuel cross over line that you can open and the tanks will equalize. Others have a fuel transfer pump in a crossover line. Finally, if you need to transfer fuel but don't have either of the above, you may be able to do it while running depending on how your boat is setup.

If you have a fuel manifold by your Racors, you can open the fuel supply from the starboard tank, close the fuel supply from the port tank, close the fuel return to the starboard tank, and open the fuel return to the port tank. In this configuration, fuel will be drawn from the starboard tank to feed the engine and returned to the port tank. This will equalize the tanks in a relatively short time.

Caution! Never close both fuel return valves while the engine is running even for a moment. Also, don't forget or you will overfill the tank that fuel is being transfer to.
__________________
Regards,

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 04:01 PM   #4
Guru
 
menzies's Avatar
 
City: Jacksonville
Country: USA
Vessel Name: SONAS
Vessel Model: Grand Alaskan 53
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 1,426
If the previous owner added a larger house battery set up that may do it.
menzies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 04:06 PM   #5
Guru
 
boatpoker's Avatar
 
City: Port Credit
Country: Ontario
Vessel Name: DIRT FREE
Vessel Model: Benford Fantail 38
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 1,953
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhays View Post
Some boats have a fuel cross over line that you can open and the tanks will equalize. Others have a fuel transfer pump in a crossover line. Finally, if you need to transfer fuel but don't have either of the above, you may be able to do it while running depending on how your boat is setup.

If you have a fuel manifold by your Racors, you can open the fuel supply from the starboard tank, close the fuel supply from the port tank, close the fuel return to the starboard tank, and open the fuel return to the port tank. In this configuration, fuel will be drawn from the starboard tank to feed the engine and returned to the port tank. This will equalize the tanks in a relatively short time.

Caution! Never close both fuel return valves while the engine is running even for a moment. Also, don't forget or you will overfill the tank that fuel is being transfer to.
A very very dangerous thing to do.
__________________
If you can live with the consequences, go for it - wg
Y'am what I y'am an' thats' all that y'am - Popeye
As God is my witness, I thought turkey's could fly. Mr.C
boatpoker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 04:48 PM   #6
Guru
 
dhays's Avatar
 
City: Gig Harbor
Country: United States
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 2,747
Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
A very very dangerous thing to do.
Hardly. You just need be conscious of what you are doing and pay attention. If someone can't pay attention or are forgetful, I wouldn't recommend it.
__________________
Regards,

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 04:58 PM   #7
Guru
 
boatpoker's Avatar
 
City: Port Credit
Country: Ontario
Vessel Name: DIRT FREE
Vessel Model: Benford Fantail 38
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 1,953
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhays View Post
Hardly. You just need be conscious of what you are doing and pay attention. If someone can't pay attention or are forgetful, I wouldn't recommend it.
Contrary to ABYC Standards and a few minutes of forgetfulness could result in a blown tank or a major environmental fine but to each his own.
__________________
If you can live with the consequences, go for it - wg
Y'am what I y'am an' thats' all that y'am - Popeye
As God is my witness, I thought turkey's could fly. Mr.C
boatpoker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 07:56 AM   #8
Guru
 
Pgitug's Avatar
 
City: Punta Gorda, fl
Country: Usa
Vessel Name: Escapade
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 37 2002
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 691
Tell your first mate to stand on the other side. 🎉😝⭐️
Pgitug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 09:49 AM   #9
Guru
 
Nomad Willy's Avatar
 
City: Concrete Washington State
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 12,253
I always draw from one tank at a time. Switch underway but need to reach as far as I can w one engine hatch open to reach the valve levers. Do it by feel. Got it wrong once and I think the engine shut down.

If you're wife is sitting/standing on the wrong side switch to the right tank.
__________________
Eric

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 10:17 AM   #10
Guru
 
Phil Fill's Avatar
 
City: Everett Wa
Country: US
Vessel Name: Eagle
Vessel Model: Roughwater 58 pilot house
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 2,890
The eagles list changes every day depending on the level of the fuel, water and waste tank is,the tide and wind. About once a week I have to level things out. Friday black water tank gets pumped, water tanks are filled and fuel transfered. So if the boat lists during the week that's just the way it is. I level the boat by the way the doors hang open.
Phil Fill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 10:37 AM   #11
Veteran Member
 
City: langley
Country: Canada
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 58
A neighbor in the marina came to me last week and told me my 38' boat was listing. I checked the tanks, bilge, docklines and found nothing wrong. But he was correct, the starboard side was down nearly 2 inches. Came back two days later and it was no longer listing so it must have been the current, breeze or a combination of both.
stanfromhell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 12:54 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
Dune's Avatar
 
City: Coastal SC
Country: USA
Vessel Model: Viking 65 CP MY (run at trawler speeds !)
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 279
My boat seemed to have zero list when I visited it many times before purchase. But after buying it and bringing it here, there was a noticeable list. A rather annoying WTF ? moment. After studying the original plans I noticed that while the main 1,000 gallons fuel tank was centered, the 300 gallon aux fuel tank was a bit off center....and sure enough, the captain that assisted bringing it here at some point hit the "fuel transfer" switch and moved the entire 300 gallons to her main tank....result = list....
__________________

Dune is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:21 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2006 - 2012