Blue Seas trawler 36ft

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hallp

Vessel Name
Joshua
Vessel Make
Blue Seas Trawler 36ft
I am looking for some help on size and material for replacement rudders.
I have had both rudders stolen from the boat yard and need to fabricate new.
I have a twin engine blue seas 36 ft trawler. 1978 model. I am not able to attach photo from my phone. May need some help with that too.
Hoping someone out there has some information
Cheers
Hallp

Probably stainless steel propeller shaft and stainless steel plate would be the easiest material to fabricate them out of. Do you have the means to cut the plate to size, cut the keyway for the key for the rudder arm, and the ability to weld the plate to the shaft?

Ted

hallp, Sort of discouraging to realize this happens in a boat yard.
First, determine if the BlueSeas are still made. If so, order the rudders. (fastest method)
Second, if they aren't, search for a users group and gather the info there.
Third, start searching for individual owners' close by. Offer to pay for a haul-out so you and the owner can take the necessary measurements. Might want to include the fabricator when taking the measurements. I suspect the chosen yard will have someone on staff who can build your new rudders.

The days of leaving stuff under the hull and coming back and finding the stuff where you left it, including tools, are sadly are all gone.
These day, folks will break into your boat and take what they want, only to hear the yard owner say, "We never promised you security."
I had the perfect swing arm computer mount 'removed' from my N46. Asked the yard about it only to hear, "Not our fault. Happens all the time." Sadly, I have yet to find another "perfect" swing arm computer mount to use with my AT34.

If you have a second-hand boat stuff seller, and or boat flea market, start there. Cant hurt to ask and look.
I'm sorry for your loss.

One more thought. Find one for sale and on the hard. Contact the owner or broker, explain your situation and I suspect, they will be more than willing to meet you at the boat so you and your fabricator can take the necessary measurements.

I am going with stainless plate.
I am unable to determine the dimensions so I will have to estimate from photos and size of propeller.
Any Ideas on plate thickness

This is the only photo I have pre purchase 20170302_124258.jpeg

Looks much like the rudders on my Bluewater 39. It is currently hauled out 900 miles away in Alaska. I'll email a friend and ask him to do some measurements. It will take a few days as I am heading out of town.

Tator

I am going with stainless plate.
I am unable to determine the dimensions so I will have to estimate from photos and size of propeller.
Any Ideas on plate thickness
Depending on the size of the rubber, I would think 1/4" would be fine.

Ted

What a low act! 1/4" plate sounds fine, but rudders usually have some shape including a balance fwd of the shaft. Wood or f/g could be affixed either side of the plate. Flat plate will work but not as well.
Blue Seas are relatively rare, many have singles. A TFer was looking at one, in poor order in Adelaide. Maybe not so rare, seems there was a rudderless one.

Thanks for the feedback.
I was thinking 8mm plate but 6mm sounds much better or should I say a bit cheaper.
I had a bad run. They stole my props and rudders and all brass hawser pipe fittings.
I have been refitting the boat and had the shafts removed to replace bearing and gland packing hose. $3k per prop, insurance covered most.
Cheers
Hallp

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom