Old 04-01-2013, 02:19 PM   #1
Veteran Member

City: Fairhope
Vessel Name: Waterfront
Vessel Model: Chein Hwa Present Sundeck 35
Bimini Top Material

I am curious about a product that I found on the web at Hard To Top | Home. My canvas needs replacing on the flybridge as well as the aft deck and was wondering if anyone here has used this product. They have a ten year warranty, but I am concerned about the shade issue.
H
waterfront is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 02:39 PM   #2
Guru

We absolutely love it and will never go back to a cloth bimini again. The Trawler Beach House: From A Fabric Bimini To A Hardtop In One Day . Chuck
Capn Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 03:14 PM   #3
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Chuck, do you just leave that up when preparing for a hurricane, or is it easy to remove and store? I've seen a few boats with those and they look pretty slick.

We have Stamoid as our bimini fabric and been very happy with it. Holds up extremely well and rolls up / removes like Sunbrella. I am not sure when the PO installed it but we are going on 6 years now. We got a tear in ours when caught in a micro cell and one of the stanchions in the frame tore out of the FB console, after one of the stainless bows bent! Tough stuff. Sewed back together in a jiffy.

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 03:18 PM   #4
Veteran Member

City: Fairhope
Vessel Name: Waterfront
Vessel Model: Chein Hwa Present Sundeck 35
Looks like it may be just what I need. When I get down to the boat I'll measure and then call for a quote. Thanks
waterfront is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 05:16 PM   #5
Guru

We have left it up so far but did put lines across and tied it down for a tropical storm. If a hurricane was coming in our direction we would take it down. It's just a matter of taking the bimini frame loose. The thing is very light. Chuck
Old 04-01-2013, 05:38 PM   #6
Guru

City: Beaverton, Ontario
Vessel Name: Looking Glass
Vessel Model: Carver 370 Voyager
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capn Chuck View Post
We absolutely love it and will never go back to a cloth bimini again. The Trawler Beach House: From A Fabric Bimini To A Hardtop In One Day . Chuck
Chuck, I didn't see anything about UV protection for the material and the people under it. Obviously light comes through it, which is nice, but can you get a sunburn while sitting under it? My canvas for the cockpit is done and I would like to replace with a hardtop with the option of side curtains for the spring and fall. Cheers!
Old 04-01-2013, 06:02 PM   #7
Guru

Sunburn under a bimini, cloth or our type, comes from the sun shining under the bimini or reflecting off the water. There is plenty of shade under the hard top. Chuck
Old 04-01-2013, 06:47 PM   #8
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capn Chuck View Post
We have left it up so far but did put lines across and tied it down for a tropical storm. If a hurricane was coming in our direction we would take it down. It's just a matter of taking the bimini frame loose. The thing is very light. Chuck
Thanks Chuck. So all in all what do feel are the major advantages vs fabric? I personally haven't seen anyone put a hatch with lid in one or mount stuff (antennas, radar etc) on one... is that doable?

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 07:18 PM   #9
Guru

It won't rip, tear, fade. mildew, blow out stitches, have to be replaced every 5 years or less, cleans effortlessly in place. allows light through while providing shade, is 100% waterproof for its life, and probably a few more things. They can make hatches and just about any configuration you would like. Chuck
Old 04-01-2013, 07:28 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

City: St. Marks, Florida
Vessel Name: Morgan
Vessel Model: Gulfstar 36
Interesting! My boat has fairly new canvas right now, but when the time comes to replace it I most definitely will look at Hard To Top! Thanks!

John
jwnall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 07:40 PM   #11
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
I saw the LED lighting option but does the material itself come in any other colors?

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 09:52 PM   #12

City: Benicia CA
I looked everywhere on their website, but couldn't find it - does anybody know where they're located, or if they have a dealer network?

When a company doesn't show this info, I tend to be sceptical about their longevity and support.
Nsail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 10:25 PM   #13
Guru

City: Sidney BC Canada
Vessel Name: RochePoint
Vessel Model: 1985 Cheer Men PT38 Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nsail View Post
I looked everywhere on their website, but couldn't find it - does anybody know where they're located, or if they have a dealer network?

When a company doesn't show this info, I tend to be sceptical about their longevity and support.
Did a phone number search and came up with this:
Hard to Top in Westland | Hard to Top (734) 895-7765 & , Westland, MI 48185 | <Recreation & Sporting Goods/Boating/Equipment & Accessories> - Yahoo! US Local
rochepoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 10:47 PM   #14
Veteran Member

City: Mandurah
Vessel Name: Blu Tug
Vessel Model: R27 Ranger Tug
bimini top material

WOW that looks great be much better if we could get something like that here in Australia.
Cheers
Peter & Ronie B
blunda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 11:10 PM   #15
Guru

City: Everett, WA
Vessel Name: Honey Badger
Vessel Model: 42' CHB Europa
I'll be interested to see how it holds up. I've been working with coroplast for the last 10 years or so and it's a great material. Some of the early stuff broke down under UV pretty badly, but they've gotten the science down these days.
SomeSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 05:58 PM   #16

City: Abbotsford
Vessel Name: Between boats
Vessel Model: 38' C & L Puget Trawler
I will not recommend Hardtotop. I have been waiting for a quote for a month...they obviously don't need my business. I want to build a 10x14 top. It looks pretty basic (Famous last words) Anyone know where I can access plans, a mold, materials?
Tangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 08:45 AM   #17
Guru

City: Thibodaux, Louisiana
Vessel Name: Gumbo
Vessel Model: 2003 Monk 36
Do they have wind screen and side curtains. As on a conventional Bimmini enclosure? If so anybody here tried them?
Old 10-28-2013, 03:43 PM   #18

City: St James City Fl
Vessel Name: Paradox
Vessel Model: Mainship
I don't understand. I got a quote in 48 hours and feel quite comfortable with them. Sorry you are having trouble. Email is such a flat way of communication. I say try one more time. Reading Chuck and Susan's blog I can't see a problem with Hard to Top.
HTH, S
Autoteacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 03:44 PM   #19

City: St James City Fl
Vessel Name: Paradox
Vessel Model: Mainship
They have the side curtin rails listed on web site. Home | Hard To Top

HTH,
S
Autoteacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 04:32 PM   #20
Veteran Member

City: Marietta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
Do they have wind screen and side curtains. As on a conventional Bimmini enclosure? If so anybody here tried them?
As far as trying them I cannot speak to that... but on the web site they have a gallery of pictures of different types of boats and quite a few have wind screen/side screen/Bimini type enclosures depicted...
Irdiverdan is offline   Reply With Quote