Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 12-29-2014, 06:31 PM   #21
Senior Member
 
On The Rocks's Avatar
 
City: Palm Springs CA
Country: USA
Vessel Name: On The Rocks
Vessel Model: Gulf Star MKII
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 109
I have a large 12v (Rule 3700) bilge pump that pulls about 15 amps. The other day I noticed it is wired using 14 AWG. The distance from the pump to the switch/battery is almost 20' so it seems like it should have 8 or even 6 AWG? However the largest three wire bilge cable I can find is 14? I suppose I can run three seperate wires, I'm just surprised that there isn't larger gauge bilge wire. Am I missing somethin? Is the 14 gauge ok?
__________________
Advertisement

On The Rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 08:02 PM   #22
Guru
 
N4712's Avatar
 
City: South FL
Country: U.S.A
Vessel Name: Oliver
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 47 Hull# 12
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 3,613
#10 Should be fine, anything bigger is unnecessary over kill.
__________________

__________________
Thanks, Oliver
M/V Oliver
Nordhavn 47 Hull #12
N4712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 09:24 PM   #23
Guru
 
psneeld's Avatar
 
City: Avalon, NJ
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 15,864
6ga would be necessary if you wanted no more than 3% voltage drop...and the wires were in the engine room and bundled....per most wire sizing tables...but reality of what most would do is run 10 ga as it's easier to find and work with.

The companies that I have worked for would use 10 ga 3 wire..... bad practice because of the coloring can be mistaken for an AC circuit...but if in the white sheath and labeled well.....it has never been an issue.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 07:11 AM   #24
Guru
 
O C Diver's Avatar
 
City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in Crisfield, MD
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 4,806
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
The companies that I have worked for would use 10 ga 3 wire..... bad practice because of the coloring can be mistaken for an AC circuit...but if in the white sheath and labeled well.....it has never been an issue.
That's what I did. Felt it was more important to have the wires in a protective sheath when pulling them through the wiring tunnels, and just labeled them where you could see them.

Ted
__________________
Blog: mvslowhand.com
I'm tired of fast moves, I've got a slow groove, on my mind.....
I want to spend some time, Not come and go in a heated rush.....
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 07:14 AM   #25
Guru
 
psneeld's Avatar
 
City: Avalon, NJ
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 15,864
Quote:
Originally Posted by O C Diver View Post
That's what I did. Felt it was more important to have the wires in a protective sheath when pulling them through the wiring tunnels, and just labeled them where you could see them.

Ted
Can always put colored heat shrink on the ends if you are only half a perfectionist...

After installing and using countless bilge pumps....if you don't use the bigger wire sizes, have more than a couple feet of run, any bends, corrugated hose,and run the bilge pump on less than 12.6 volts..... I pretty much subtract one half to one third the capacity of the pump for a more accurate number of gph.

Not a scientific answer...but based on the pump mabufacturer's warnings, experienced writer's cautions and my own experience...the final pumping numbers are far less than what the model description is.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 07:46 AM   #26
Guru
 
O C Diver's Avatar
 
City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in Crisfield, MD
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 4,806
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
Can always put colored heat shrink on the ends if you are only half a perfectionist...

After installing and using countless bilge pumps....if you don't use the bigger wire sizes, have more than a couple feet of run, any bends, corrugated hose,and run the bilge pump on less than 12.6 volts..... I pretty much subtract one half to one third the capacity of the pump for a more accurate number of gph.

Not a scientific answer...but based on the pump mabufacturer's warnings, experienced writer's cautions and my own experience...the final pumping numbers are far less than what the model description is.
Yes, that's part of the reason I doubled the number of pumps from 2 to 4, redundancy and more realistic expectations.

Ted
__________________
Blog: mvslowhand.com
I'm tired of fast moves, I've got a slow groove, on my mind.....
I want to spend some time, Not come and go in a heated rush.....
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 07:55 AM   #27
Guru
 
psneeld's Avatar
 
City: Avalon, NJ
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 15,864
OC...hope you know I didn't mean to direct that towards you but to the OP...

I try to not infer others are totally without the basics..unless they specifically ask if something is or isn't OK...

I know based on your running a commercial boat you have been through the pump /alarm drill more than once for the USCG...
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 08:08 AM   #28
Guru
 
O C Diver's Avatar
 
City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in Crisfield, MD
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 4,806
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
OC...hope you know I didn't mean to direct that towards you but to the OP...

I try to not infer others are totally without the basics..unless they specifically ask if something is or isn't OK...

I know based on your running a commercial boat you have been through the pump /alarm drill more than once for the USCG...
No worries, we're good.

Ted
__________________

__________________
Blog: mvslowhand.com
I'm tired of fast moves, I've got a slow groove, on my mind.....
I want to spend some time, Not come and go in a heated rush.....
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:43 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2006 - 2012