Old 12-13-2012, 07:21 PM   #101
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceK View Post
It can`t. That was his point..
And yet he asked the question so I answered it.

rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 08:50 PM   #102
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Amazing the absolute lack of understanding how many different possibilities and setups are out there....absolutely scary....

psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 09:56 PM   #103
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Vessel Name: Small Incentive
Vessel Model: Boston Whaler 130 Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceK View Post
It can`t. That was his point.
I cannot see how a "bilge pump in operation" alarm/indicator/light/buzzer/communication device (call it what you will) is a bad thing. It can`t be harmful to know the pump is operating, and it can help.You`ll never hear the pump running over the engine noise.
OK, one more time, I thought I said on more than one occasion that I have lights for each pump at each helm that light up when the bilge pump switches are activated. I have a very audible alarm and a warning light at each helm when one of the "high water" switches are activated.

My question to Ron was somewhat facetious, as he had implied an audible alarm was desired (and he is certainly entitled to have one) for every time a bilge pump switch was activated. And that simply hearing the pump running was inadequate... so what was so special then about having an alarm on top of that? If the engines are running, is not someone at the helm?? Again the point being due to my boat's design, in a couple of the bilges due to the frequency of non-threatening conditions triggering the bllge switch (in particular the flipper type, which I have now mitigated some but not eliminated with a different sort of switch), I felt on my boat I would have more of a highly irritating situation with an alarm than a helpful one: the boy crying wolf syndrome. If someone wants to have an alarm go off every time a switch is activated on their boat that is perfectly fine with me.

Gotta agree with psneeld. I mean golly.
caltexflanc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 01:01 AM   #104
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by caltexflanc View Post

My question to Ron was somewhat facetious...
Again the point being due to my boat's design, in a couple of the bilges due to the frequency of non-threatening conditions triggering the bllge switch (in particular the flipper type, which I have now mitigated some but not eliminated with a different sort of switch),
Gotta agree with psneeld. I mean golly.
I thought your question to Ron was rhetorical.
Totally agree on changing flippers for something more reliable. What brand did you fit, is it working out well?

BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote