Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
I'm with you on this issue, Marin.

Old 10-09-2012, 09:18 AM   #22
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
Too often while cruising around Biscayne Bay, I've got my fenders slung over the side instead of stowed. Even though I might be critical about someone else doing the same, I'm guilty. Years ago, I bought these Fendergrip adjusters/retainers at the boat show and they do a good job. Trouble is, if you're switching sides, you have to pull the lines through and risk dropping them in the water (it happens), and the put the lines back through on the other side. They don't float, so when they're gone, they're gone. The stowage of the fenders is fundamentally the same and just as practical with the Fendergrips, but don't measure up to the intention of custom metalwork, and there's a lot of line to stow as well.

I really like the classy set-up shown in Marin's photos, and I'm all for touches that separate my boat from others. I think it's a great idea.....as long as Marin doesn't tag them "wannabee fender brackets".

healhustler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 01:59 PM   #23
Scraping Paint

City: -
Quote:
Originally Posted by healhustler View Post
I really like the classy set-up shown in Marin's photos, and I'm all for touches that separate my boat from others. I think it's a great idea.....as long as Marin doesn't tag them "wannabee fender brackets".
They are wannabe only in the sense that we want them. While it will probably be awhile given my schedule and the list of other more important things that need doing on the boat, these brackets are definitely on our to-do list.

I'm not sure what the ones in the photo are made of. I assumed they were polished stainless but the owner in talking about them to me said he had them fabricated and plated. I think I would go with polished stainless.

I happened to come across a photo I took from the dinghy of the other side of the boat showing all the fenders for that side stowed. Here is what it looks like....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1975 GB42.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	62.5 KB
ID:	13452  
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 04:41 PM   #24
TF Site Team

City: Home Port: Buck's Harbor, Maine
Vessel Name: "Emily Anne"
Vessel Model: 2001 Island Gypsy 32 Europa (Hull #146)
I just added these to my TO DO list. Stowing them in the laz as we do now would be a pain on (contemplated) canal trip.
dwhatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 06:59 PM   #25
Guru

City: Cary NC
Vessel Name: Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Model: Navigator 42'
We tried the fender holder racks on the bow, and they just took up too much space. We have the fender hangers, that make for easy and quick adjustments in length for any marina docks. So I tie the other end with a rolling hitch to the rail to keep them in place and yet out of way on the deck. When we come back to the marins it's a quick release on the rolling hitch and the fenders fall into place.

Same concept, less hardware. And unfortunately, I can't find one that I have them tied straight and even!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P1010048.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	97.4 KB
ID:	13458  
Besslb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 07:03 PM   #26
Guru

City: Cary NC
Vessel Name: Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Model: Navigator 42'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Besslb View Post
We have the fender hangers
This is the fender hanger:
Besslb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 10:24 PM   #27

City: WA
We keep our fenders along the aft rail using bungee cords. That's the only practical place we have found for them. It only takes a minute or so to pull them out and tie them off on the rail.

As for rigging them in wind and rain, I am the one at the wheel so I stay dry.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	RKL_3314.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	107.9 KB
ID:	13461  
Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 06:59 AM   #28
Guru

Vessel Name: Anastasia III
Vessel Model: Krogen 42
Fender hanger = clove hitch.
Keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 01:09 PM   #29
TF Site Team

City: San Mateo, CA
Vessel Name: Pineapple Girl II
Vessel Model: PT 35
This is an interesting discussion. If I used fenders in my slip I might be interested in something like Marin showed in the first photo. however we have fenders mounted on the fingers of our slip, so we only use five fenders on our boat when we are at another marina. And we never know what side we will need them on or at what height so drilling holes in our teak rail is not appealing. Currently we keep them tied at the back of our flybridge but after Marin's mention of the bags his wife made for their's, I think I will have our wonderful canvas guy make bags for them in the same location. That will save me the time of tying them and untying them from there, plus look nicer. It doesn't take me long to get the fenders set, after all my years of experience. LOL.
www.pineapple-girl.blogspot.com
Pineapple Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 06:52 PM   #30
Guru

City: Vallejo, California
Vessel Name: Mahalo Moi
Vessel Model: 1986 Grand Banks 42 Classic
I like the idea of hanging the fenders under the handrail. I have stainless steel handrails and could easily fabricate hangers for the purpose. Currently I stow our fenders in a rack that the PO made about 15 years ago. Works easily without loosing them in the lazarette, etc. The hangers under the handrails would allow us to have the fenders pretied (with clove hitch!).
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	42 Grand Banks-Festina Lente013.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	119.0 KB
ID:	13475   Click image for larger version

Name:	Desktop2.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	51.7 KB
ID:	13476  
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑβΕ
Giggitoni is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 12:28 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler View Post
What kills me is the posters who want to have the fenders "at the ready", as if you're shocked to find yourself in port and nearing the dock. Rush, rush, rush.

Pull them in and put them away, where ever "away" happens to be. You should have plenty of time to set them out prior to entering the marina.
I couldn't agree more, if I see fenders dragging in the water on a boat I see a lazy boater that doesn't mind looking like a chuck wagon. We put every thing away, fenders, mooring lines and power chord. I don't like tripping hazards. When we are still well away from the dock I give the wheel to my wife and go put out every thing we need to dock with no rush. If the weather is bad , put on a coat.
The Great North West
Slowboat 37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 05:01 PM   #32
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
Not too elegant, but it works for me:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ICW02 051.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	154.0 KB
ID:	13809  
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 12:30 PM   #33
Veteran Member

City: Olney,Mt/Anacortes,Wa
Vessel Name: Millie B
Vessel Model: 34 CHB Tricabin
I mounted two sets of taylor fender holders to the front of the flybridge. Works great, uses an area that is seldom utilized, easy access and they dont block your vision as when they are mounted on the bow rails
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1704.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	179.3 KB
ID:	13925  
raindr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 05:24 PM   #34
Guru

City: Thibodaux, Louisiana
Vessel Name: Gumbo
Vessel Model: 2003 Monk 36
I thought about making up a set of hooks as seen in Marin's original pictures. Then I thought about hanging the fenders from hooks under the teak handrail, using a loop of light line permanently tied through the fender eye. I can forsee lots of rocking while out on the water but don't know how much of a problem that would be. Anyway I cobbled up a prototype in my shed, using a couple of cup hangers and a 2x4 , photos below. What do you all think, any suggestions?
Steve W
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	fender hook2.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	114.8 KB
ID:	13926   Click image for larger version

Name:	fender hook 1.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	82.5 KB
ID:	13927   Click image for larger version

Name:	fender hook 3.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	82.3 KB
ID:	13928  
Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 07:14 PM   #35
Guru

City: Biloxi Mississippi
Vessel Name: Patricia Louise II
Vessel Model: 1983 42' Present Sundeck
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
I thought about making up a set of hooks as seen in Marin's original pictures. Then I thought about hanging the fenders from hooks under the teak handrail, using a loop of light line permanently tied through the fender eye. I can forsee lots of rocking while out on the water but don't know how much of a problem that would be. Anyway I cobbled up a prototype in my shed, using a couple of cup hangers and a 2x4 , photos below. What do you all think, any suggestions?
Steve W
I like it. Simple and that is good. Of course SS or brass hooks, and sturdy.
Forkliftt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 09:12 PM   #36
Guru

City: Everett, WA
Vessel Name: Honey Badger
Vessel Model: 42' CHB Europa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marin View Post
... the less time one has to spend on deck getting fenders ready the better.
And I love my Europa in the rain. Don't even get damp setting fenders out.
SomeSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 11:12 PM   #37
Guru

City: Perth
Vessel Name: M/V SOLSTICE
Vessel Model: Hendo "Special"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler View Post
What kills me is the posters who want to have the fenders "at the ready", as if you're shocked to find yourself in port and nearing the dock. Rush, rush, rush.

Pull them in and put them away, where ever "away" happens to be. You should have plenty of time to set them out prior to entering the marina.
I'm sure you would find it convenient if you had the fenders "at the ready" if you were alone. It's got nothing to do with being "shocked" rather than being organised and prepared for most situations IMO.

iPad Forum Runner
Old 11-12-2012, 06:02 PM   #38
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
I think it's best to have fenders (and lines, BTW) stored in a convenient place, ready to deploy as necessary. The exact place and method will vary with the boat and the typical use. My photo in post #32 shows two fenders on deck ready to be kicked into position. The rear fender is in the cockpit ready to be flipped over the side. The other side of the boat is set up the same way. Lines are coiled and hung on hooks in the cockpit, ready at a moment's notice.

I don't have to stop and drift for ten minutes outside a marina, I can slow to idle speed, give the helm to my wife, and prepare for docking in a minute or two. Or she can do it.

It works for me, but it may not suit others. That's fine.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 05:07 PM   #39
GFC
Guru

City: Tri Cities, WA
Vessel Name: Beachcomber
Vessel Model: Sea Ray 550 Sedan Bridge
We have permanently mounted fenders on the sides of the slip so we don't need our fenders when we're in our home marina. We keep our fenders in the lazarette until we need them, and most of the time when we need them we're going through one of the locks on the Snake or Columbia.

My Galley Wench (GW) is the one who handles the lines and fenders in the locks. To make it easy for her I usually set everything up before we pull out of the slip so all she has to do is flip them over the bow rail. When we're in the locks we have five fenders on the side we're moored to.

I'm one who doesn't use fender hangers; I prefer a hitch because it's so fast to adjust if need be.
Old 11-16-2012, 06:17 PM   #40
Guru

City: Perth
Vessel Name: M/V SOLSTICE
Vessel Model: Hendo "Special"
Quote:
Originally Posted by GFC View Post
When we're in the locks we have five fenders on the side we're moored to.
Mate what's a lock?

iPad Forum Runner