Old 12-29-2016, 11:31 AM   #21
Veteran Member

City: Albuquerque, New Mexico
Vessel Model: Hot Air Balloon for Now
There are a number of companies that now do the mattress delivered in a box. They compress the mattress, you open it, and then give it a day to expand. Would be great to get it below decks in a smaller box.

Here are a couple of sites that do this (I have no affiliation with any of these)

https://casper.com/

https://www.bedinabox.com/

https://www.tuftandneedle.com/

https://hyphensleep.com/

IronZebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 05:23 PM   #22

City: Edgewater, MD
Vessel Name: Catalina Jack
Vessel Model: Defever 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanfromhell View Post
i bought a 5 inch thick medium density foam mattress from a foam shop, a Nova foam top pad from Costo and a cloth matterss cover sheet. Total cost about $500.00 CAD for queen size and I'm in love with it.
We replaced our "queen" mattress aboard our Defever 44 with a foam mattress from replacement-mattress.com. They will custom cut to order. Our mattress platform is 80 inches long by 60 inches wide except it narrows by four inches toward the foot of the bed platform. We ordered ours 58 x 78 inches. It fits our platform quite well. We are very happy with the purchase. The foam is covered just like a standard store-bought spring mattress. No need to cut down with an electric knife or other cutting tool which yields a crude, unfinished result (IMHO). Ours, the most expensive, is 5.5 inches of high-density foam with 2.5 inches of memory foam on top. We paid $645, including shipping.

catalinajack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 06:11 PM   #23
Guru

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Never Say Never
Vessel Model: President 41 DC
I ordered a memory foam queen size from Amazon. It was about $350. I paid extra for next day delivery and it did not come. After calling and complaining, Amazon refunded the entire price so it ended up being free. I did have to trim the foot corners since the bed platform has more rounded "corners" but otherwise the standard queen fit exactly. It is very comfortable, especially at that cost...
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 08:21 AM   #24
Guru

City: Maryland
Vessel Model: 42' Sportfish
Our lottery boat will have standard household-size beds... with nearby electricity... so we'd likely select a Sleep Number bed.

We'd been skeptical about their advertising, but we needed a new mattress at home, shopped around, sure enough it seems to work nicely. Not hot like Tempurpedic. Ours happens to be individually adjustable (i.e., each side), and that seems useful.

I found it interesting that the mattress comes in a (3' x 4' ???) box, and then gets assembled in place. Easy, and in our case it also meant not having to wrestle a big mattress up the stairs and around the corners all at the same time.

Ours also happens to be an articulating version, and our lottery boat would have that, too.

-Chris
Old 01-08-2017, 09:39 AM   #25
Guru

City: kemah
Ive been using a queen air mattress topped with 4" cool foam (both from walmart) in both the rv and the boat. It's as close to sleeping on a waveless waterbed as I can find. The combo is amazingly comfortable.

what_barnacles is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mattress