Bbq,s

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

blunda

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Blu Tug
Vessel Make
R27 Ranger Tug
Hi all we were wondering what the difference is between electric and gas (propane) BBQ,S as our new boat has an electric oven and hot plates :)( No Gas) items aboard hence the query.
Cheers
Peter & Ronie B

The difference is one runs on electricity and the other on propane but I think that is too obvious and really not what your asking. Can you be more specific??
I have propane because I have no generator, thus no means to supply enough electricity for electric appliances. If you have a noise maker you have your choice.

Propane is not necessarily but probably much hotter....make sure it is as a wimpy BBQ is distressing...:D

More impportantly is you don't have to power manage your boat to use a propane BBQ where you might if you have an electric one and only one or two 30 amp shore power cords (and that's but ONE reason why I'm trading up to a 50 amp service).

I have always had propane BBQ's on our boats. I did buy a portable electric one for home years ago it was terrible, too slow and low heat.
Maybe they have improved.

There are a few questions here.
What type of climate do you boat in, that is will you be cooking outside? Do you like cooking on a open flame BBQ or don't really care? Worried about gas on board? Do you have enough power to run an electric BBQ etc.

From a cooking point of view and leaving out the above, IMHO, a gas BBQ (with hood) is the 'Bees knees' for cooking on a boat,you can use a lot of different cooking techniques in the one unit, a standard electric BBQ can't match that.Although I'm not talking about the mega boats and their kitchens.

So as in all things on this forum,choose what is right for you.

I must say, one of my most regretable things about boating that causes me the most sorrow is having to use a propane grill instead of a real grill with charcoal. How the marketing people convinced modern America to sacrifice quality and excellent flavor for flat, dull, boring grilling is beyond me but kudos to them for their excellent marketing results. I know they make charcoal boat grills but ash, etc. is an issue so we are, alas, sticking with propane even though I dislike it! :) I love grilling on real charcoal!!

We have both. In they summer adults can use prone if the canvas is rolled up. The George Forman electric grill all year round as its had no open fame. We bought the grill for the grandchildren to use as it has a timer so if they forget no big deal. However for taste we prefer the propane.

The Eagle was a AC electric which we converted to propane so the AC can be used for other things

Same here...propane for nice weather outdoor grilling away from the boat shed and a small George Foreman electric griddle for in slip or foul weather days. It's nice to have options.

Good topic, since this bbq issue has been causing me concerns. Eletric is a no go, so it is either charcoal or gas. We already use gas for normal cooking so we already have the bottles aboard.

We usually grill while the boat is tied to some island and use cooking places or those throw-away charcoal ones and have no need to install any rail mounts etc.

So, lately I have looking for information about the cobb grill, so far I have read only positive comments, any experiences here?

I read somewhere there are people/marinas that consider propane grilling in the slip as bad manners or even against the rules. Is the fire risk really that great? Do many of you look down your noses at your slip neighbors for bbq'ing at the dock?

Our marina with wooden docks and 3-sided covered 10-12 boat sheds prohibits it. Imagine the smoke that could build up in the shed if someone BBQ'd in there.

img_147284_0_6abff898d82ca13d351cfa3d7a6b528f.jpg

Many marinas apparently have rules against it. Maybe it's an insurance thing, though I personally doubt the chance of fire is very high.

At the dock grilling is against our local fire codes and not allowed. Plenty of marina provided BBQ pits adjacent to the docks are provided at most marinas locally.

Even if it where allowed I would refrain as smoking out your neighbor seems to be bad manners in my book.

@Tony, Weber used to make a stainless steel charcoal grill that mounted outboard of the rail. Wouldn't that address the ash concerns? Are they still available?

We have a propane BBQ rail-mouted on the flying bridge. It has its own supply bottle, a Worthington 1.5 gallon tank beside it in a rail mount. We have a second bottle--- our original non-OPD bottle that we had converted to OPD--- in a mount on the other side of the flying bridge for when the first bottle runs out halfway through cooking something.

We have a propane galley (and would not have it any other way) but that system is independent of the BBQ. So even if you have an all-electric galley you can still have a propane BBQ if that's what you prefer.

I have seen charcoal BBQs and hibachis on boats. I agree with Woodsong about the flavor benefits of charcoal but we chose propane simply to reduce the potential for a mess.

Our marina has no rules regarding using a propane or charcoal BBQ on a boat in its slip. The private boathouses may be another matter, I don't know.

Ours is a stainless steel Dickenson Sea-B-Que and we've been very pleased with it. We got the smaller of the two sizes as we are never cooking for more than four people and usually it's just the two of us.

Newer GBs have a more elaborate handrail system on the aft cabin top and this provides a very convenient place for a BBQ and it's bottle. But ours is one of the first batch of fiberglass GB36s and its simple aft cabin handrail is not suitable for holding a BBQ and its tank.

Last edited:
Propane is fine at all the marinas around the Galveston Bay area that I know of, but charcoal is banned. Too messy, too much of a fire hazard, and past experience with people just not handling it well. Nobody that I know cares if others fire up a grill. It just makes us hungry! Speaking of, I have some asparagus that I think I'll grill this evening.

My strategy is to boat-buddy with someone who has a grill, and I provide the steaks. :flowers:

Last edited by a moderator:
Same here...propane for nice weather outdoor grilling away from the boat shed and a small George Foreman electric griddle for in slip or foul weather days. It's nice to have options.

Too inclement for grilling or BBQing? Never heard of that.:confused:

OK, here is something for you wussies to get your BBQing fix when you are afraid to go outside.

http://www.cameronsproducts.com/stovetop-smoker

I have one that really works well. Great for smoking baby back ribs or salmon. The chips are available in various woods for different flavors. There are several recipes.

Last edited:
Cool idea, Moonstruck. I might have to try that.

TBH, the only inclement weather I get in CA is windy weather that tries to extinguish the propane flame. It gets frustrating having to relight the grill and delay dinner yet again! To me, meat IS the main course. There's no real meal without it.

:hide:

OK, here is something for you wussies to get your BBQing fix when you are afraid to go outside.

The Original Stovetop Smoker

I have one that really works well. Great for smoking baby back ribs or salmon. The chips are available in various woods for different flavors. There are several recipes.

Yep I am a wussie! Better to be save than sorry. with the canvas down to much of a change and smokey. The Forman does not flare up and smoke much. Go outside rather go to a resteraunt.

Last edited:
My strategy is to boat-buddy with someone who has a grill, and I provide the steaks. :flowers:

Mark, I'll have the grill cleaned and ready for the Thursday night BBQ of the Asparagus Festival trip. I share your appreciation for ribeye steaks. :thumb: :eek:

Hey, Mark...I like my ribeye medium rare, just in case you need to start cookin' before we arrive!!!

Last edited:
Medium-rare is my preference too, but you and Al have grills, and I don't. So, who do you think should start cookin'? ... Wait a minute! Your boat is faster than mine. I'll need at least an hour's head start for any chance to arrive at Al's marina anytime near when you will arrive. ... Let's agree to use your already-tested grill ... while Perla prepares the Margaritas and I break out the IPAs.

Last edited:
Ray, I'll be the large radar target (being a steel boat) and with the yellow pilothouse roof/stack, ahead of you. Surely, you know "the drill."

Ray, I'll be the large radar target (being a steel boat) and with the yellow pilothouse roof/stack, ahead of you. Surely, you know "the drill."

I bet he's used to that view by now...

:popcorn: :D

...and after the Asparagus Festival, so will I.

WOW how easy a simple question gets side tracked into utter stupidity
Thanks All:rolleyes:
Cheers
Peter & Ronie B

I've seen those, but never used one. Wouldn't it fill up the galley / kitchen with smoke?

The Original Stovetop Smoker

I've seen those, but never used one. Wouldn't it fill up the galley / kitchen with smoke?

The lid is sealed. What little smoke escapes any kind of exhaust fan can handle. It no fan, open it on the back deck until the smoke dissipates. With the folding handles it takes very little storage space.

I must say, one of my most regretable things about boating that causes me the most sorrow is having to use a propane grill instead of a real grill with charcoal. How the marketing people convinced modern America to sacrifice quality and excellent flavor for flat, dull, boring grilling is beyond me but kudos to them for their excellent marketing results. I know they make charcoal boat grills but ash, etc. is an issue so we are, alas, sticking with propane even though I dislike it! :) I love grilling on real charcoal!!

Aside from safety issues, there's no reason you can't use a charcoal grill on a boat. If you are confident you can handle charcoal cooking safely, go ahead with it. Charcoal is much safer to store than propane.

I read somewhere there are people/marinas that consider propane grilling in the slip as bad manners or even against the rules. Is the fire risk really that great? Do many of you look down your noses at your slip neighbors for bbq'ing at the dock?

The fire risk increases for gasoline powered boats, but the real danger in a marina is that a fire can easily destroy several boats, the docks, etc.

I used a charcoal fired grill for years. It mounted in a flush rod holder in the gunnel and was over the side. When finished just turn the handle to flip it over and dump the coals into the water. Lined it with foil, so little clean up other than the grate. I haven't seen one for awhile.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom