Old 04-08-2013, 08:41 PM   #41
Scraping Paint

City: -
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
The little green cans offend me, so I replaced them with a small (1.5 gallon) propane cylinder..... I figure the aluminum propane cylinder paid for itself in two fillings and you never inconveniently run out while cooking.
We, too, use a 1.5 gallon vertical aluminum tank (Worthington) in a rail mount to power the BBQ plus a spare Worthington bottle in a second mount. Much more hassle-free gas source than the green cannisters.

But our portable cabin heater uses the green cannisters and the price can vary greatly. The farther away from the water and "boat world" you get, the cheaper they seem to be. My wife buys them at Target and the price is often $1.25 per cannister.

Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 08:51 PM   #42
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
George, you're making my mouth water.

Old 04-08-2013, 08:57 PM   #43
Guru

City: Kenai, Alaska
Vessel Name: Melanie Rose
Vessel Model: 1999 Willard PH
I have a Mr Heater that we use for trolling in the fall, and the same $25 hose will connect to your portable heater as connects to the BBQ. Custom length hoses are easy to make at your local propane distributor. The stuff is a little scary, but it sure does put out the BTU's when you want to boil a crab, some steamer clams, or pot of shrimp. Disclaimers on the safety and legality of re-filling little green bottles puts me off a little bit. It could be because I am a retired firefighter :-)
AKDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 10:29 PM   #44
TF Site Team

City: California Delta and SF Bay
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC
+1

Custom Google Trawler Forum Search
FlyWright is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 10:37 PM   #45
Guru

City: Powell River, BC
Vessel Name: Northern Spy
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
Save money by refilling your propane bottles yourself! This solid-brass coupler attaches to your propane tank to allow for an easy propane bottle refill. This coupler refills cylinders in one minute or less! A great alternative to disposing and purchasing new propane bottles and a safe, legal propane bottle refill alternative.
  • Refills cylinders in 1 minute or less
  • Solid brass construction to last a lifetime
  • Do not use when air temperature is 85 degrees or above
Propane tank not included. Propane resale or transport across state lines is prohibited by law.

Propane Refill Kit - Refill Propane Bottles with Ease!
Except that it's not really safe or legal...
Northern Spy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 11:35 PM   #46
Scraping Paint

City: -
Quote:
I have a Mr Heater that we use for trolling in the fall, and the same $25 hose will connect to your portable heater as connects to the BBQ.
Our good friends who we cruise with did this on their 36' lobsterboat. They installed a new propane stove/oven and put the propane locker in the cockpit just the other side of the bulkhead. They, like us, use a Mr. Heater "Buddy" in their boat and he ran a short hose from the locker through the bulkhead to where the heater mounts.

All our propane is up on the flying bridge so running a long hose down into the main cabin for the purpose of running the portable heater is not practical. So we use the cannisters for it. As we only run it in the evening when we're out on the boat and perhaps in the morning, we don't use that much propane. One and a half cannisters will get us through a weekend easy.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 12:15 AM   #47
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
Quote:
...........having to dump the ash "somewhere" makes charcoal unacceptable. Dumping it over the side used to be acceptable, but it isn't anymore. ...............
Charcoal is made from wood, right? What's the difference between a few pounds of charcoal in the river and a tree branch that broke off and landed in the river?

The real danger with open flame cooking on a boat is fire. Park the boats ten feet from each other and connect them with wooden docks and a fire on one boat quickly becomes a fire on an entire dock.

Ever notice how many people mount their portable grills over or near the fuel fill or tank vent on a gasoline powered boat?
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 12:16 AM   #48
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Spy View Post
Except that it's not really safe or legal...
A minor detail that's easily overlooked by some folks.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 05:54 AM   #49
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Originally Posted by psneeld
Save money by refilling your propane bottles yourself! This solid-brass coupler attaches to your propane tank to allow for an easy propane bottle refill. This coupler refills cylinders in one minute or less! A great alternative to disposing and purchasing new propane bottles and a safe, legal propane bottle refill alternative.
Propane tank not included. Propane resale or transport across state lines is prohibited by law.

psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 08:13 AM   #50
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Lotus
Vessel Model: Clipper (CHB) 34 Sedan/Europa style
Send a message via Skype™ to Peter B
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiku View Post
Good topic, since this bbq issue has been causing me concerns. Eletric is a no go, so it is either charcoal or gas. We already use gas for normal cooking so we already have the bottles aboard.

We usually grill while the boat is tied to some island and use cooking places or those throw-away charcoal ones and have no need to install any rail mounts etc.

So, lately I have looking for information about the cobb grill, so far I have read only positive comments, any experiences here?
Yes, we use a Cobb, and frankly out on the boat I wouldn't bother with anything else, especially now they have the brickettes, which combine the firelighter and charcoal thing in one....
If the weather is an issue, then frankly I'd rather just cook the steaks or whatever in a pan. I think the taste difference is negligible, and largely in the mind.
https://www.google.com.au/search?q=c...ient=firefox-a

Peter B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 07:21 PM   #51
Guru

City: Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Vessel Name: Old School
Vessel Model: 38' Trawler custom built by Hike Metal Products
I also have a Cobb grill. It's a great boat bbq, you really can set it anywhere and it won't burn what it's sitting on. If grilling underway, put a couple bungee cords on it so it won't fall over. I use about 10 charcoal brickettes per use, plus I found those starter tabs at a hardware store, about 50 of them for $5. Got lucky on the purchase, was at a West Marine store last May and saw one in the window. Asked how much for it, the guy said its been there for 3 years, so $44.00 plus tax. I think they're about $150 or so now. I recommend the Cobb for charcoal cooking on a boat.
Mike
Baton Rouge
Gulf Comanche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 08:07 PM   #52

City: Northern California
I use a 1650 watt electric BBQ. Cooks (6) 2" thick steaks on about 700 w-hr. That includes preheating so you get the witness marks on the meat. Comes with a detachable metal cup for juices and can be set on a table or any flat surface because of a sealed bottom, so no mess.
Old 04-09-2013, 08:34 PM   #53
Guru

City: Kenai, Alaska
Vessel Name: Melanie Rose
Vessel Model: 1999 Willard PH
No fire, no fun! Of course, I am a retired firefighter :-)
AKDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 09:58 AM   #54
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Vessel Name: Small Incentive
Vessel Model: Boston Whaler 130 Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
George, you're making my mouth water.
You made me homesick with your Petaluma pix, so now we're even!

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 11:08 AM   #55
Guru

City: Beaverton, Ontario
Vessel Name: Airswift
Vessel Model: Ontario Yachts Great Lakes 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
Originally Posted by psneeld

I am an inspector for the Technical Standards and Safety Authority in Ontario and these fittings are considered Unsafe and Illegal and banned from use in Ontario, but per previous posts some people overlook this and hopefully nothing happens or their insurance company may not cover them and could cancel their policy. The small refillable tanks IMO are a much better idea or just buy the small ones new. Laws in all provinces and States are different.
Old 04-10-2013, 11:57 AM   #56
Veteran Member

City: Marysville, WA
Vessel Name: Nehalennia
Vessel Model: SeaRay 260DA "Sundancer"
Don't forget to add a side table for your cold beer and platter of steaks :-)
www.vikingbay.co
VikingBay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 12:23 PM   #57
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaBomba View Post
I am an inspector for the Technical Standards and Safety Authority in Ontario and these fittings are considered Unsafe and Illegal and banned from use in Ontario, but per previous posts some people overlook this and hopefully nothing happens or their insurance company may not cover them and could cancel their policy. The small refillable tanks IMO are a much better idea or just buy the small ones new. Laws in all provinces and States are different.
Maybe...but many are sold and used quite safely...the transporting restriction I completely understand.

Insurance would have to cover me and plenty of others here in the states as we are well within the law using one.

However after thinking how everyone here is SO concerned for safety (even with the "holy mackerel"..know what I did thread)...based on my experience as a former Coast Guardsman...I would ban boating because based on the statistics and what I have seen....boating is way too dangerous for the average person...
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 09:15 AM   #58
Veteran Member

City: Tivat
Vessel Name: Nostra Signora
Vessel Model: Marine Trader CHB 34DC
I am sure this thread is long over, and the bbq of choice has been purchased.

I just want to use the thread to show off my new BBQ that was given to me by a boat who would have otherwise thrown it away! Bigger than I would have purchsed, but hey, it was free!

Old 08-28-2013, 10:33 AM   #59

City: Danversport, MA
Vessel Name: Not For Sail
Vessel Model: Chris Craft Catalina 281
Another consideration for propane versus electric is that propane (gas) is on/off (i.e. immediate heat or no heat). With electric, you have a warm-up/cool-down period, however short/long depending on setting. So, if you keep your meat on the grill to let it rest for a while (you do let the meat rest, correct?), with electric you may end up overcooking the meat. It's a minor consideration, but one to be aware of nonetheless.
BriBri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 08:43 PM   #60
Veteran Member

City: Marysville, WA
Vessel Name: Nehalennia
Vessel Model: SeaRay 260DA "Sundancer"
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailtones View Post
I am sure this thread is long over, and the bbq of choice has been purchased.

I just want to use the thread to show off my new BBQ that was given to me by a boat who would have otherwise thrown it away! Bigger than I would have purchsed, but hey, it was free!

What did you get and let's see the pics

www.vikingbay.co
VikingBay is offline   Reply With Quote