Old 12-27-2016, 10:27 PM   #41
Guru

City: Saltspring Island
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44
The one I have mentioned have hit a rock. Damaged the Forward Scan Sounder. The BWs survived with a little paint loss

Old 12-28-2016, 04:26 AM   #42

City: perth
Vessel Name: Nimiane
Vessel Model: Finn 8
Question for Nightsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightsky View Post
Along the same lines, I had rolling chocks (bilge keels) fitted to a 93' steel, aft wheelhouse fishing boat, similar style as both your boats. I had holes cut out of the rolling chock allowing water to drag through while the boat was rolling, thus increasing their effectiveness.
Guys , this is a most interesting thread as my little boat could do with some stabilization WHILE underway.
I have 'flopper stoppers' that are sensational while anchored ,so that is take care of.

Nightsky . I have continually heard rolling chocks and bilge keels mentioned in the same breath by many members. Please with respect, I know your a very knowledgeable guy, can you please clear-up this point of confusion.

What are rolling chocks and bilge keels in your opinion and are the different?

My take is:-
Flopper stoppers - hang off poles to reduce rolling while anchored NOT MOTORING.
Paravanes - hang off poles to reduce rolling while UNDERWAY
Rolling chocks - reduce rolling while UNDERWAY
Bilge keels - to sit the boat LEVEL ON THE SEABED when the tide goes out.

thx Brett

bogranjac1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 07:59 AM   #43
Guru

City: Saint Augustine, Fl.
Bilge keels and rolling chocks are the same thing. Fast Fred has them on his 50' Navy UTB conversion.
Sailor of Fortune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 10:26 AM   #44
Guru

City: Kitimat, North Coast BC
Vessel Name: Badger
Vessel Model: 30' Sundowner Tug
My take on 'real' bilge keels is two keels instead of one central keel...think of a small sailboat sitting on two keels. In the trawler version, think two stationary fins (about 20% the length of the hull?) at the turn of a full displacement hull, but not big enough to sit upright on the hard.

Rolling chocks to me are like the photo in post #23, but can be a bit closer to the keel as probably was the case with the larger commercial fishing boat in post #37.

Probably lots of local interpretation of such things, which adds to the confusion...
Old 12-28-2016, 01:10 PM   #45
Veteran Member

City: Comox
Vessel Model: 1994 Carver 390
[QUOTE=bogranjac1;507954]Question for Nightsky

Guys , this is a most interesting thread as my little boat could do with some stabilization WHILE underway.
I have 'flopper stoppers' that are sensational while anchored ,so that is take care of.

Nightsky . I have continually heard rolling chocks and bilge keels mentioned in the same breath by many members. Please with respect, I know your a very knowledgeable guy, can you please clear-up this point of confusion.

What are rolling chocks and bilge keels in your opinion and are the different?

My take is:-
Flopper stoppers - hang off poles to reduce rolling while anchored NOT MOTORING.
Paravanes - hang off poles to reduce rolling while UNDERWAY
Rolling chocks - reduce rolling while UNDERWAY
Bilge keels - to sit the boat LEVEL ON THE SEABED when the tide goes out.

thx Brett[/QU0te

I am no expert, and I welcome being corrected by a naval architect, but the way I've always understood it, the terms rolling chocks and bilge keels have been used interchangeably (layperson will call them rolling chocks). The size and shape of the chocks (keels) is determined by their function. The chocks would be long and not stick out so far from the hull, whereas the bilge keel could extend to sit the boat level on the seabed, but I believe their attachment point on the hull would be close. My understanding has always been that paravanes, birds, stabilizers (flopper stopper) are all the same thing, just called different names based on region you live in. I have attached a photo of the chocks I had fitted to my commercial fish boat.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HPIM0500.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	169.6 KB
ID:	59947  
Nightsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 03:15 PM   #46

City: Birch bay wa
Vessel Name: Rogue
Vessel Model: North Pacific 42
Post 31, in the thread mentioned the article in Pacific Yachting magazine. It was the November 2016 issue, and was written by Rick Hudson. His experience, pretty much sums up my own. The NP does not have the corkscrewing issues that his boat does. I have noticed, no reduction of speed or increase either. There may be a couple of tenths one way or the other. It has not been an issue. The stern wave that was generated at hull speed and higher, and started 6-8 ft forward of the stern is gone. The fins trap that water. My opinion is that, that water is trapped and probably creates some stern lift which would help in slowing or tempering pitch. We left for our Alaska trip, 100 days gone right after installation. I am happy with the fins. They do not stop roll, they resist rolling and slow down the roll. In certain conditions they will trap air and slap. The ride is much better. I have not heard any negative reports from other NP owners. I have talked to 3 others. There are I think, 6 NP's that have added the fins.. Happy New Year to all!!
Rebel112r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 08:34 PM   #47
Veteran Member

City: Port Lincoln
Vessel Name: Nenad
Vessel Model: Frahnof
Batwings (stabilizers)

My boat looks like it would be a perfect candidate for the batwings and this is the first I have ever heard of them.
I was going to put paravanes on and I still could at a later date but am now thinking when she goes on the slip in march I will fit batwings.
Google is not telling me much on the dimensions needed to be effective, has anyone got any advice on what I may need?
I am thinking 2.4m (8 feet) Wide keeping it about 20 cm inside the boat and maybe 3m (10 feet) long and using either 12mm or 16mm plate.
She is 65 feet long and about 90t.
Any advice is welcome.
Cheers[ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0474.JPG
Views:	35
Size:	27.9 KB
ID:	60048  

maxhopper502 is offline   Reply With Quote