Old 07-21-2012, 07:59 AM   #21
Scraping Paint

City: Fort Lauderdale
Vessel Model: CHB 48 Zodiac YL 4.2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edelweiss View Post
Unfortunately, the surveyor may be in a position to dictate his opinion ...
Unless he is doing a valuation survey where an opinion is part of the product, the surveyor is not there to provide an opinion.

A surveyor should identify the vessel, state what is onboard, list obvious defects and damage such as broken windows or doors or soft decks, and when possible, if an item was seen to function or not. Period.

You can ask for a personal opinion but if the surveyor includes one on the report I think he or she has gone beyond his mandate. A surveyor might rightly report that the bilges contained oil, but he is rarely if ever in a position to state that the oil came from a leaking engine or transmission.

When a surveyor reports a "defect" he must be able to identify the function or standard it does not satisfy. If a surveyor cannot readily state the law, rule, or legal requirement to support his finding of non-compiance then he has no basis on which to call it out as a defect on the survey report. A surveyor is not a boat cop with the authority to nail an owner for reckless ownership.

RickB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 11:52 PM   #22

City: South Puget Sound, WA
I much appreciate the comments on this thread. This is the type of discussion that is so helpful to me. Both the discussion on the seacocks and also the discussion on the surveyor's role.

This prompted me to download the maintenance and parts sheet for my Groco SV series seacock that handles the waste discharge from the holding tank. I'd always been a little concerned about the small amount of seepage that occurred when the wingnut was loosened to allow the ball valve to turn. Now I know this is appropriate and to be expected.

This is a great forum. Keep the insrtuction coming!

Budds Outlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 02:06 AM   #23
Scraping Paint

City: -
This link has been posted before but for step by step, illustrated instructions on overhauling a seacock this site is great... Compass Marine "How To" Articles Photo Gallery by Compass Marine at pbase.com

The article you want is the first one in the third row down.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 01:02 PM   #24
Guru

City: Upstate,SC
Vessel Name: The Caroliner
Vessel Model: Plans to build 30' Spira Sitka
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marin View Post
This link has been posted before but for step by step, illustrated instructions on overhauling a seacock this site is great... Compass Marine "How To" Articles Photo Gallery by Compass Marine at pbase.com

The article you want is the first one in the third row down.

ben2go is offline   Reply With Quote