Old 02-02-2013, 05:04 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
I know what the manufacturer says about mounting below the header/recovery tank...but reality is as long as the system is burped and kept full...I'm not sure as it matters as I have seen more than a few mounted higher.

psneeld,

Glad to have that input. I was more concerned about a rocking boat in a seaway that might take in air bubbles. I am pretty confident that this arrangement that I have will prevent air ever getting into the line once it has been purged. One less worry in heavy water.
Delta_JimS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 05:56 PM   #22
Guru

City: coos bay
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
Our boat has two Red Dot heaters connected to the starboard engine. One is under the settee and produces significant heat. The other is smaller and in the aft stateroom. Both heat quite well. The challenge is controlling the temperature. There is no thermostat. There is just an off/lo/hi switch on each.
i was wondering about that. I suppose one could install an electronic solenoid valve which is then controlled by a thermostate?
Old 02-02-2013, 06:03 PM   #23
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Gould View Post
Our boat uses a Webasto hydronic heater when we're not underway, or during the first 20-30 minutes after startup. Once we get up to operating temp, I throw a switch that changes from "system heat" to "engine heat". The engine coolant circulates through the same radiators as the diesel fired heat, so there aren't any "extra" outlets to work around and the amount of heat from each register is (somewhat) regulated by switching the fan to either low, high, or off.
That sounds like what I am looking for. What model do you have?
Old 02-02-2013, 08:00 PM   #24
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
We have hot water from the engine to the hot water tank and to the bus heater. We rarely use the bus heater as the fan is noisy. While underway we usually have the forced air Wabasto on. Most of the time we're not aware that it's on underway until we step out on the afterdeck.

Our hot water smells terrible now because we used RV anti freeze in it last winter. I read about Marin getting over that problem w lots of flushing. Will try that and perhaps soaking w baking soda in the water when it warms up.

I thought most trawlers had domestic hot water from the engine coolant. I think our hot water tank is so old we probably should replace it. Worked fine until the RV stuff. The engine coolant makes the water too hot though.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 08:35 PM   #25
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by manyboats View Post
We have hot water from the engine to the hot water tank and to the bus heater. We rarely use the bus heater as the fan is noisy. While underway we usually have the forced air Wabasto on. Most of the time we're not aware that it's on underway until we step out on the afterdeck.

Our hot water smells terrible now because we used RV anti freeze in it last winter. I read about Marin getting over that problem w lots of flushing. Will try that and perhaps soaking w baking soda in the water when it warms up.

I thought most trawlers had domestic hot water from the engine coolant. I think our hot water tank is so old we probably should replace it. Worked fine until the RV stuff. The engine coolant makes the water too hot though.
Why would you put antifreeze in your water heater instead of just draining it? I would think the sea water would keep the boat warm enough to be above freezing. In 1990 when i lost an engine do to a big freeze because i had my boat hauled to do the bottom. The insurance company told me the only claims they had were from boats hauled or on trailers that if they were in the water there was no damage. That was a bad year thousands of boats on the hard filed claims.
Old 02-02-2013, 09:46 PM   #26
TF Site Team

City: Saltspring Island
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44
Eric:
You have moved from Alaska. It doesn't get cold where you are now. I have had a hot water tank on my boat since I bought my second sailboat in 1988. I have never winterized it, or anything else on any of my boats. I keep my boat in downtown Vancouver. I have seen ice on the water maybe three times in 25 years and then only for a day or two. I leave my boat plugged in all the time, I leave the hot water tank turned on all the time. The engine room is kept nice and warm, with the HW tank and the charger providing the heat. The salon above is cold, but with a 1500 watt heater in the aft cabin, set to its lowest setting, no condensation ever develops, I get no mold, and the hydro bill isn't excessive. Sometimes I add another small heater in the forepeak, also set to its lowest possible setting, but that one is plugged into a different shelter circuit so as not to overload my 30 amp shore cord.
I have never tasted RV anti freeze and I don't want to, ever!
koliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 09:57 PM   #27
Scraping Paint

City: -
Quote:
Eric-- We never put antifreeze in our hot water tank. We put it in our fresh water tanks the first few years we had the boat. But we never ran the hot water side of the water system after it had been treated, so we kept the antifreeze out of the heater itself. We were told early on never to put antifreeze in the hot water heater itself because it can be very difficult to impossible to get the odor and taste out.

We would flush the fresh water tanks and cold water side of the system several times in the spring but even then the taste was not gone until nearly the end of the summer.

Finally after a few years we stopped winterizing the boat's fresh water system and have had great tasting water year round ever since. We keep a low level of heat in the boat during the winter but even without it it would take a long stretch of really cold weather to present even a risk of damage to the water system.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 10:12 PM   #28
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
koliver,
Marin,
Well I never knew about the RV being bad in the tank.
Electrons are $.23 KWH in Thorne Bay ,, was kill'in me. Never did it before. Just that last winter. Only reason I did it this winter is because we're hauled.

Perhaps I should'a looked for a new HW tank at the boat show.

I may not be hauled over the winter in the future. I get cheaper moorage though.

Floyd,
It's not drainable. An inch or so of water remains.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 05:48 AM   #29
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
The inch of water left or so is OK...the tank is built to withstand a bit of pressure anyhow...or at least they are engineered to withstand the water freezing there.

Lots of boats back East where we get hard freezes just dain them...also a lot of the vacation homes, RVs.

If you must....a shop vac can get all but a fraction out.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 12:37 PM   #30
Veteran Member

City: Marysville, WA
Vessel Name: Nehalennia
Vessel Model: SeaRay 260DA "Sundancer"
Quote:
........Our hot water smells terrible now because we used RV anti freeze in it last winter. I read about Marin getting over that problem w lots of flushing. Will try that and perhaps soaking w baking soda in the water when it warms up..........
Fill your tank with 1/4 cup bleach. Then flush it really good with several (10+) tankfuls. Then refill and add 1 oz of peppermint oil.
www.vikingbay.co
VikingBay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 02:48 PM   #31

City: North Port, FL
Vessel Name: Seven Tenths (sold)
Vessel Model: Mirage / Great Harbour 47
We have the ITR LH2 installed. ITR has a Heat Exchanger that is designed to take the heat from your engine and use it to heat your heating system water to reduce the need for the ITR boiler to run.
HenryD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 10:30 PM   #32
Guru

Vessel Name: Anastasia III
Vessel Model: Krogen 42
Foul hot water can be a symptom of a magnesium anode that has wasted away in the water heater.
Keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 11:04 PM   #33
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48 (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Gould View Post
Our boat uses a Webasto hydronic heater when we're not underway, or during the first 20-30 minutes after startup. Once we get up to operating temp, I throw a switch that changes from "system heat" to "engine heat". The engine coolant circulates through the same radiators as the diesel fired heat, so there aren't any "extra" outlets to work around and the amount of heat from each register is (somewhat) regulated by switching the fan to either low, high, or off.
I have same setup on my Hurricane hydronic system. The engine coolant at about 170F goes to a small HX with the hydronic coolant going to the other side of the same of the same HX. Using aquastats, once the engine coolant heats the hydronic coolant up to operating temperature (about 150F) the diesel furnace kicks off. A schematic of a Webasto, Kabola or Hurricane system will detail the setup. Or ask your friendly installer of hydronic systems.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 04:11 PM   #34
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryD View Post
We have the ITR LH2 installed. ITR has a Heat Exchanger that is designed to take the heat from your engine and use it to heat your heating system water to reduce the need for the ITR boiler to run.
I'm sorry, i dont understand. Whats an ITR?
Old 02-04-2013, 04:19 PM   #35
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by VikingBay View Post
Fill your tank with 1/4 cup bleach. Then flush it really good with several (10+) tankfuls. Then refill and add 1 oz of peppermint oil.
Thanks, good idea to do several flushes. The bleach if clorine will kill pathogens and the peppermint oil will mask oders but how do we remove the contaminants instead of just covering them up? This is kinda like the slice of lemon in the water at the restruant that dosent wish to filter the drinking water just wants you to think they do.
Old 02-04-2013, 04:50 PM   #36
Guru

City: Whittier AK
Vessel Name: Apache II
Vessel Model: 1974 Donald Jones
Floyd. Depending on the type of motor you have you should have a hose from and to the motor. This hose circulates the engine coolant to your water heater and any other things like a red dot or what ever you have.

When you say hot water from the engine are you refering to coolant or water from the sea (or raw water)as it is called.

All you need to do is hook a heater unit to the hose off the engine and back to the engine again.

Unless i don't understand your question.
If so never mind.
Old 02-04-2013, 05:10 PM   #37
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipperdude View Post
Floyd. Depending on the type of motor you have you should have a hose from and to the motor. This hose circulates the engine coolant to your water heater and any other things like a red dot or what ever you have.

When you say hot water from the engine are you refering to coolant or water from the sea (or raw water)as it is called.

All you need to do is hook a heater unit to the hose off the engine and back to the engine again.

Unless i don't understand your question.
If so never mind.
I'm sorry,I apolojize for my poor use of words, maybe I am confused. There as been mention of hot engine water, or coolant, heating that also useing diesel fuel heating. Someone mentioned using the diesel heat untill the engine warmed up them switching to engine hot water for heat out of the same heater and i thought that was a good idea. Just havent seen it in person yet but that would be nice
Old 02-04-2013, 05:23 PM   #38
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
The Coot's engine heat warms up the hot-water tank, as well as providing ambient heat to the living spaces, slight as it might. Doubt that's unusual.
Old 02-04-2013, 05:37 PM   #39
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
The Coot's engine heat warms up the hot-water tank, as well as providing ambient heat to the living spaces, slight as it might. Doubt that's unusual.
no, the contrary, very useful. Thants what i was looking for however, because of other posts, I'm wondering about a heater that uses engine water and diesel fuel to produce heat in the cabin
thanks
Old 02-04-2013, 05:48 PM   #40
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
The Coot's water heater in this during-construction photo is under the white rag and temporary blue-plastic covering. (Air compressor to the left, white battery box in front.)