Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 02-11-2013, 06:43 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
Gulfstar 36's Avatar
 
City: Kent Island
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Sundowner
Vessel Model: Gulfstar 36 MrkII
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 226
Anyone ever open a Lectra San?

The one in my forward head was using lots of salt to get the OK light to come on. The guys up there at Raritan said in might be the electro pack so I bought one. My initial thoughts were just to pop the top where it was under the sink but these things have 20 or so screw and nuts holding the top on so out it came.
Once I got it open I found it was built in 1998 and had the original pack in it. I was truly amazed at how clean this thing was inside. No sludge and the smell was like as old doctors office, you know the antiseptic type of smell. The only thing it had was some hair wrapped around the mixer. Now just waiting for spring to reinstall it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG1580.jpg
Views:	269
Size:	89.4 KB
ID:	16485  
__________________
Advertisement

Gulfstar 36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 07:43 PM   #2
Guru
 
Moonstruck's Avatar
 
City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 7,848
I think you just gave me the nudge needed to install a Lectrosan or Purasan system on Moonstruck. We have a 60 gal holding tank that lasts a couple of weeks, but it would be nice not to have to pump out. Since we are freshwater flush, it would probably be a Purasan system.
__________________

__________________
Don on Moonstruck
Sabre 42 Hardtop Express & Blackfin 25 CC
When cruising life is simpler, but on a grander scale (author unknown)
http://moonstruckblog.wordpress.com/
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 09:22 PM   #3
TF Site Team
 
ksanders's Avatar
 
City: SEWARD ALASKA
Country: USA
Vessel Name: LISAS WAY
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 3,952
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonstruck View Post
I think you just gave me the nudge needed to install a Lectrosan or Purasan system on Moonstruck. We have a 60 gal holding tank that lasts a couple of weeks, but it would be nice not to have to pump out. Since we are freshwater flush, it would probably be a Purasan system.
We have a purasan system with a hold n treat and love it.

Both vaccuflush heads Dump right into the unit, so there is no waiting or buttons to push or anything.

One cartridge lasted us all last summer and seems to still have plenty in it.
__________________
Kevin Sanders
Bayliner 4788
Seward, Alaska
www.mvlisasway.com
ksanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 10:02 PM   #4
JAT
Guru
 
JAT's Avatar
 
Country: US
Vessel Name: Just a Tinch
Vessel Model: Gulfstar 44 MC
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 595
We have two of them...I'm going to have to pull them out and take them apart.... Ours are the newer models....look the same but there are some electrical differences.

If yours is from 98' and still working....KEEP IT! Do not trade up to the newer units... I've had problems with both of ours.....and now I'm out of warranty.....
JAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 12:40 AM   #5
Guru
 
HopCar's Avatar


 
City: Miami Florida
Vessel Name: Possum
Vessel Model: Ellis 28
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 3,489
JAT, if your Electroscan is out of warranty you don't have the newest model. They recently came out with one that probably addressed the issues you're having. Don't give up on them. The folks at Raritan are really nice. Call them and talk to them. I bet they can help you.
When ever I have questions about Raritan products, I talk to Dale or Mac at their Ft. Lauderdale warehouse.
HopCar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 11:04 AM   #6
TF Site Team
 
ksanders's Avatar
 
City: SEWARD ALASKA
Country: USA
Vessel Name: LISAS WAY
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 3,952
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAT View Post
We have two of them...I'm going to have to pull them out and take them apart.... Ours are the newer models....look the same but there are some electrical differences.

If yours is from 98' and still working....KEEP IT! Do not trade up to the newer units... I've had problems with both of ours.....and now I'm out of warranty.....

If you have TWO units you are having trouble with, the problem isn't the units, its the installation.


I'd give the folks at Raritan a call.
__________________
Kevin Sanders
Bayliner 4788
Seward, Alaska
www.mvlisasway.com
ksanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 11:30 AM   #7
JD
Guru
 
JD's Avatar
 
City: New Bern NC
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Stella Di Mare
Vessel Model: Mainship 34t
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 1,702
Is the Lectrosan or Purasan approved in Canada so that you do not have to disconnect your discharge line?
__________________
Vinny

M/V Stella Di Mare
New Bern NC
JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 11:35 AM   #8
Guru
 
Moonstruck's Avatar
 
City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 7,848
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksanders View Post
We have a purasan system with a hold n treat and love it.

Both vaccuflush heads Dump right into the unit, so there is no waiting or buttons to push or anything.

One cartridge lasted us all last summer and seems to still have plenty in it.
The Purasan manual says that it draws 10 amps at 12 volts. Is that 10 amp/hrs, or is it just a 10 amp draw while operating? How long does it operate per flush? If it is a great draw on the batteries, I will probably stay with the holding tank.

Thanks for any info.
__________________
Don on Moonstruck
Sabre 42 Hardtop Express & Blackfin 25 CC
When cruising life is simpler, but on a grander scale (author unknown)
http://moonstruckblog.wordpress.com/
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 11:58 AM   #9
Guru
 
Anode's Avatar


 
City: Missourah
Country: USA
Vessel Name: M/V Scout
Vessel Model: Sundowner Tug 30'
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 645
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonstruck View Post
The Purasan manual says that it draws 10 amps at 12 volts. Is that 10 amp/hrs, or is it just a 10 amp draw while operating? How long does it operate per flush? If it is a great draw on the batteries, I will probably stay with the holding tank.

Thanks for any info.
Not sure about the Purasan but my Electro Scan draws 14-15 amps only for the time it's running. I see no significant draw down on my house batteries...but then I don't spend a lot of time in the head.
__________________
Chip

Deliveries & Yacht Services
www.captainchip.com
Anode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 12:02 PM   #10
TF Site Team
 
ksanders's Avatar
 
City: SEWARD ALASKA
Country: USA
Vessel Name: LISAS WAY
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 3,952
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonstruck View Post
The Purasan manual says that it draws 10 amps at 12 volts. Is that 10 amp/hrs, or is it just a 10 amp draw while operating? How long does it operate per flush? If it is a great draw on the batteries, I will probably stay with the holding tank.

Thanks for any info.
The Purasan runs for two minutes per cycle/flush

total battery drain per flush = .33 amp hour

20 flushes a day for a couple 6.6 amp hours.

The purasan uses a dry clorine cartridge to disinfect the waste.

The electro-scan is a completely different technology. It is designed for salt water heads and uses electric current which when pushed through salt water creates clorine which disinfects the waste.

The electro-scan uses around 35 amps DC to treat the waste, if memory serves correctly. It has the same 2 minute cycle time.

35 amps for 2 minutes = 1.16 amp hours

20 flushes a day = 23 amp hours.

If you have salt water heads, and run in full salt water (not brackish) then the electro-scan is a great unit because it never needs clorine cartridges.
__________________
Kevin Sanders
Bayliner 4788
Seward, Alaska
www.mvlisasway.com
ksanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 12:11 PM   #11
Guru
 
Moonstruck's Avatar
 
City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 7,848
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksanders View Post
The Purasan runs for two minutes per cycle/flush

total battery drain per flush = .33 amp hour

20 flushes a day for a couple 6.6 amp hours.
Thanks, Kevin. That is exactly what I needed. Now I have to figure out how to install it so that the holding tank can be used when we go to the no discharge area of the FL Keys. The 15 gal. hold and treat does not seam like enough capacity. It may take a Y valve and another thruhull. Regulations are sure complicated.
__________________
Don on Moonstruck
Sabre 42 Hardtop Express & Blackfin 25 CC
When cruising life is simpler, but on a grander scale (author unknown)
http://moonstruckblog.wordpress.com/
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 01:04 PM   #12
Guru
 
Anode's Avatar


 
City: Missourah
Country: USA
Vessel Name: M/V Scout
Vessel Model: Sundowner Tug 30'
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 645
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksanders View Post
The Purasan runs for two minutes per cycle/flush

total battery drain per flush = .33 amp hour

20 flushes a day for a couple 6.6 amp hours.

The purasan uses a dry clorine cartridge to disinfect the waste.

The electro-scan is a completely different technology. It is designed for salt water heads and uses electric current which when pushed through salt water creates clorine which disinfects the waste.

The electro-scan uses around 35 amps DC to treat the waste, if memory serves correctly. It has the same 2 minute cycle time.

35 amps for 2 minutes = 1.16 amp hours

20 flushes a day = 23 amp hours.

If you have salt water heads, and run in full salt water (not brackish) then the electro-scan is a great unit because it never needs clorine cartridges.
The digital readout on my new Electro-Scan monitors the voltage and amps as it's running. The first minute of mixing just runs the mixing pump and draws minimal amperage at 12 volts. The treatment cycle lasts approximately one minute and digital readout shows amperage draw of 14-16 amps during the treatment cycle. I have never seen anywhere near a 35 amp draw. We drop a 1/4 cup of table salt with each flush of my fresh water head. Cost is minimal. We love it.
I have never owned a Purasan so I can't compare.
__________________
Chip

Deliveries & Yacht Services
www.captainchip.com
Anode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 03:29 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
Gulfstar 36's Avatar
 
City: Kent Island
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Sundowner
Vessel Model: Gulfstar 36 MrkII
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 226
My issue was mostly from the spent electro pack. I had the attached 2 gallon salt water feed tank but the only way to get the low salt light out was to add lot more mixture than the tank could supply. I like the holding tank to a Y valve. One thing nice about pretreatment will be the tank will not get funky over time.
Gulfstar 36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 04:19 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
Bendit's Avatar
 
City: Auckland
Country: New Zealand
Vessel Name: Pioneer
Vessel Model: Westcoaster 53 converted to pleasure
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 283
We have a Lectrasan EC (circa 2002) I put a new electrode pack in about 4 years ago and it works fine. Occasionally it flushes too long which can result in untreated sewage being discharged, but there is no adjustment for the flush time - unlike later versions. The 24V electrode pack was very expensive compared to 12V and when this one is eroded, I'll probably buy a complete new 12V Lectrascan system for about the same cost and tap off the centre of the start bank.
Bendit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 05:20 PM   #15
TF Site Team
 
ksanders's Avatar
 
City: SEWARD ALASKA
Country: USA
Vessel Name: LISAS WAY
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 3,952
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonstruck View Post
Thanks, Kevin. That is exactly what I needed. Now I have to figure out how to install it so that the holding tank can be used when we go to the no discharge area of the FL Keys. The 15 gal. hold and treat does not seam like enough capacity. It may take a Y valve and another thruhull. Regulations are sure complicated.

I'd call the folks at Raritan

You can use the purasan with hold n treat controls with your current holding tank

The unit is plumbed between your holding tank and the discharge seacock. The hold n treat controls are tied to your macerator pump. You might need to install a float switch in your holding tank to make it all work together.
__________________
Kevin Sanders
Bayliner 4788
Seward, Alaska
www.mvlisasway.com
ksanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 07:26 PM   #16
JAT
Guru
 
JAT's Avatar
 
Country: US
Vessel Name: Just a Tinch
Vessel Model: Gulfstar 44 MC
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 595
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksanders View Post
If you have TWO units you are having trouble with, the problem isn't the units, its the installation.


I'd give the folks at Raritan a call.
The installation is good... did it myself. Not my first rodeo.

Had to return one of the two units to Raritan about 6 months after install, they replaced the plates and the power controls under warranty... Shortly afterwards...the second one started acting up.....and the first did as well.

I had previously installed one of the older units in our other boat and it worked well for years....It was an Electra-san, these new ones are Electro-scans.....
JAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 07:30 PM   #17
JAT
Guru
 
JAT's Avatar
 
Country: US
Vessel Name: Just a Tinch
Vessel Model: Gulfstar 44 MC
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 595
Quote:
Originally Posted by HopCar View Post
JAT, if your Electroscan is out of warranty you don't have the newest model. They recently came out with one that probably addressed the issues you're having. Don't give up on them. The folks at Raritan are really nice. Call them and talk to them. I bet they can help you.
When ever I have questions about Raritan products, I talk to Dale or Mac at their Ft. Lauderdale warehouse.
Frankly, I bought these two at the end of 2007....they are Electro Scans... both failed, one had already been returned to Raritan and repaired under warranty....then the other failed and the repaired one followed suit shortly after.... They've been pickled for a while.... But I need to get off my duff and call Raritan in Ft L...thanks for the names... Either get them fixed or rip em out... Our boat was built in 79...with no holding tanks...its got two of them now!
JAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 09:29 AM   #18
Guru
 
Moonstruck's Avatar
 
City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 7,848
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksanders View Post
I'd call the folks at Raritan

You can use the purasan with hold n treat controls with your current holding tank

The unit is plumbed between your holding tank and the discharge seacock. The hold n treat controls are tied to your macerator pump. You might need to install a float switch in your holding tank to make it all work together.
Kevin, I did as you said and phoned the people at Raritan. You are indeed correct. The system will work with my current holding tank. They sent me a drawing, but are updating their drawing and instructions. They will send that when ready. Now, finding the place to install in the proper order is the big problem. That will wait until I can get back to the boat in a couple of weeks. Thanks ever so much.
__________________
Don on Moonstruck
Sabre 42 Hardtop Express & Blackfin 25 CC
When cruising life is simpler, but on a grander scale (author unknown)
http://moonstruckblog.wordpress.com/
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 11:18 AM   #19
TF Site Team
 
ksanders's Avatar
 
City: SEWARD ALASKA
Country: USA
Vessel Name: LISAS WAY
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 3,952
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonstruck View Post
Kevin, I did as you said and phoned the people at Raritan. You are indeed correct. The system will work with my current holding tank. They sent me a drawing, but are updating their drawing and instructions. They will send that when ready. Now, finding the place to install in the proper order is the big problem. That will wait until I can get back to the boat in a couple of weeks. Thanks ever so much.
Your life will be changed forever. I cant remember my last pumpout, and I'm glad to have lost that part of my life.
__________________

__________________
Kevin Sanders
Bayliner 4788
Seward, Alaska
www.mvlisasway.com
ksanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:33 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2006 - 2012