Old 02-11-2013, 06:43 PM   #1

City: Kent Island
Vessel Name: Sundowner
Vessel Model: Gulfstar 36 MrkII
Anyone ever open a Lectra San?

The one in my forward head was using lots of salt to get the OK light to come on. The guys up there at Raritan said in might be the electro pack so I bought one. My initial thoughts were just to pop the top where it was under the sink but these things have 20 or so screw and nuts holding the top on so out it came.
Once I got it open I found it was built in 1998 and had the original pack in it. I was truly amazed at how clean this thing was inside. No sludge and the smell was like as old doctors office, you know the antiseptic type of smell. The only thing it had was some hair wrapped around the mixer. Now just waiting for spring to reinstall it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG1580.jpg
Views:	269
Size:	89.4 KB
ID:	16485  

Gulfstar 36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 07:43 PM   #2
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
I think you just gave me the nudge needed to install a Lectrosan or Purasan system on Moonstruck. We have a 60 gal holding tank that lasts a couple of weeks, but it would be nice not to have to pump out. Since we are freshwater flush, it would probably be a Purasan system.

http://moonstruckblog.wordpress.com/
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 09:22 PM   #3
TF Site Team

City: SEWARD ALASKA
Vessel Name: LISAS WAY
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonstruck View Post
I think you just gave me the nudge needed to install a Lectrosan or Purasan system on Moonstruck. We have a 60 gal holding tank that lasts a couple of weeks, but it would be nice not to have to pump out. Since we are freshwater flush, it would probably be a Purasan system.
We have a purasan system with a hold n treat and love it.

Both vaccuflush heads Dump right into the unit, so there is no waiting or buttons to push or anything.

One cartridge lasted us all last summer and seems to still have plenty in it.
www.mvlisasway.com
ksanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 10:02 PM   #4
JAT
Guru

Vessel Name: Just a Tinch
Vessel Model: Gulfstar 44 MC
We have two of them...I'm going to have to pull them out and take them apart.... Ours are the newer models....look the same but there are some electrical differences.

If yours is from 98' and still working....KEEP IT! Do not trade up to the newer units... I've had problems with both of ours.....and now I'm out of warranty.....
JAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 12:40 AM   #5
Guru

City: Miami Florida
Vessel Name: Possum
Vessel Model: Ellis 28
JAT, if your Electroscan is out of warranty you don't have the newest model. They recently came out with one that probably addressed the issues you're having. Don't give up on them. The folks at Raritan are really nice. Call them and talk to them. I bet they can help you.
When ever I have questions about Raritan products, I talk to Dale or Mac at their Ft. Lauderdale warehouse.
HopCar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 11:04 AM   #6
TF Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAT View Post
We have two of them...I'm going to have to pull them out and take them apart.... Ours are the newer models....look the same but there are some electrical differences.

If yours is from 98' and still working....KEEP IT! Do not trade up to the newer units... I've had problems with both of ours.....and now I'm out of warranty.....

If you have TWO units you are having trouble with, the problem isn't the units, its the installation.

I'd give the folks at Raritan a call.
www.mvlisasway.com
Old 02-12-2013, 11:30 AM   #7
JD
Guru

City: New Bern NC
Vessel Name: Stella Di Mare
Vessel Model: Mainship 34t
Is the Lectrosan or Purasan approved in Canada so that you do not have to disconnect your discharge line?

M/V Stella Di Mare
New Bern NC
JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 11:35 AM   #8
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksanders View Post
We have a purasan system with a hold n treat and love it.

Both vaccuflush heads Dump right into the unit, so there is no waiting or buttons to push or anything.

One cartridge lasted us all last summer and seems to still have plenty in it.
The Purasan manual says that it draws 10 amps at 12 volts. Is that 10 amp/hrs, or is it just a 10 amp draw while operating? How long does it operate per flush? If it is a great draw on the batteries, I will probably stay with the holding tank.

Thanks for any info.
Old 02-12-2013, 11:58 AM   #9
Guru

City: Missourah
Vessel Name: M/V Scout
Vessel Model: Sundowner Tug 30'
Quote:
The Purasan manual says that it draws 10 amps at 12 volts. Is that 10 amp/hrs, or is it just a 10 amp draw while operating? How long does it operate per flush? If it is a great draw on the batteries, I will probably stay with the holding tank.

Thanks for any info.
Not sure about the Purasan but my Electro Scan draws 14-15 amps only for the time it's running. I see no significant draw down on my house batteries...but then I don't spend a lot of time in the head.

Deliveries & Yacht Services
www.captainchip.com
Anode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 12:02 PM   #10
TF Site Team

Quote:

Thanks for any info.
The Purasan runs for two minutes per cycle/flush

total battery drain per flush = .33 amp hour

20 flushes a day for a couple 6.6 amp hours.

The purasan uses a dry clorine cartridge to disinfect the waste.

The electro-scan is a completely different technology. It is designed for salt water heads and uses electric current which when pushed through salt water creates clorine which disinfects the waste.

The electro-scan uses around 35 amps DC to treat the waste, if memory serves correctly. It has the same 2 minute cycle time.

35 amps for 2 minutes = 1.16 amp hours

20 flushes a day = 23 amp hours.

If you have salt water heads, and run in full salt water (not brackish) then the electro-scan is a great unit because it never needs clorine cartridges.
www.mvlisasway.com
Old 02-12-2013, 12:11 PM   #11
Guru

Quote:

Thanks, Kevin. That is exactly what I needed. Now I have to figure out how to install it so that the holding tank can be used when we go to the no discharge area of the FL Keys. The 15 gal. hold and treat does not seam like enough capacity. It may take a Y valve and another thruhull. Regulations are sure complicated.
Old 02-12-2013, 01:04 PM   #12
Guru

City: Missourah
Vessel Name: M/V Scout
Vessel Model: Sundowner Tug 30'
Quote:

The purasan uses a dry clorine cartridge to disinfect the waste.

The electro-scan is a completely different technology. It is designed for salt water heads and uses electric current which when pushed through salt water creates clorine which disinfects the waste.

The electro-scan uses around 35 amps DC to treat the waste, if memory serves correctly. It has the same 2 minute cycle time.

35 amps for 2 minutes = 1.16 amp hours

20 flushes a day = 23 amp hours.

If you have salt water heads, and run in full salt water (not brackish) then the electro-scan is a great unit because it never needs clorine cartridges.
The digital readout on my new Electro-Scan monitors the voltage and amps as it's running. The first minute of mixing just runs the mixing pump and draws minimal amperage at 12 volts. The treatment cycle lasts approximately one minute and digital readout shows amperage draw of 14-16 amps during the treatment cycle. I have never seen anywhere near a 35 amp draw. We drop a 1/4 cup of table salt with each flush of my fresh water head. Cost is minimal. We love it.
I have never owned a Purasan so I can't compare.

Deliveries & Yacht Services
www.captainchip.com
Anode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 03:29 PM   #13

City: Kent Island
Vessel Name: Sundowner
Vessel Model: Gulfstar 36 MrkII
My issue was mostly from the spent electro pack. I had the attached 2 gallon salt water feed tank but the only way to get the low salt light out was to add lot more mixture than the tank could supply. I like the holding tank to a Y valve. One thing nice about pretreatment will be the tank will not get funky over time.
Gulfstar 36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 04:19 PM   #14

City: Auckland
Vessel Name: Pioneer
Vessel Model: Westcoaster 53 converted to pleasure
We have a Lectrasan EC (circa 2002) I put a new electrode pack in about 4 years ago and it works fine. Occasionally it flushes too long which can result in untreated sewage being discharged, but there is no adjustment for the flush time - unlike later versions. The 24V electrode pack was very expensive compared to 12V and when this one is eroded, I'll probably buy a complete new 12V Lectrascan system for about the same cost and tap off the centre of the start bank.
Bendit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 05:20 PM   #15
TF Site Team

Quote:
Thanks, Kevin. That is exactly what I needed. Now I have to figure out how to install it so that the holding tank can be used when we go to the no discharge area of the FL Keys. The 15 gal. hold and treat does not seam like enough capacity. It may take a Y valve and another thruhull. Regulations are sure complicated.

I'd call the folks at Raritan

You can use the purasan with hold n treat controls with your current holding tank

The unit is plumbed between your holding tank and the discharge seacock. The hold n treat controls are tied to your macerator pump. You might need to install a float switch in your holding tank to make it all work together.
www.mvlisasway.com
Old 02-12-2013, 07:26 PM   #16
JAT
Guru

Quote:
If you have TWO units you are having trouble with, the problem isn't the units, its the installation.

I'd give the folks at Raritan a call.
The installation is good... did it myself. Not my first rodeo.

Had to return one of the two units to Raritan about 6 months after install, they replaced the plates and the power controls under warranty... Shortly afterwards...the second one started acting up.....and the first did as well.

I had previously installed one of the older units in our other boat and it worked well for years....It was an Electra-san, these new ones are Electro-scans.....
Old 02-12-2013, 07:30 PM   #17
JAT
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopCar View Post
JAT, if your Electroscan is out of warranty you don't have the newest model. They recently came out with one that probably addressed the issues you're having. Don't give up on them. The folks at Raritan are really nice. Call them and talk to them. I bet they can help you.
When ever I have questions about Raritan products, I talk to Dale or Mac at their Ft. Lauderdale warehouse.
Frankly, I bought these two at the end of 2007....they are Electro Scans... both failed, one had already been returned to Raritan and repaired under warranty....then the other failed and the repaired one followed suit shortly after.... They've been pickled for a while.... But I need to get off my duff and call Raritan in Ft L...thanks for the names... Either get them fixed or rip em out... Our boat was built in 79...with no holding tanks...its got two of them now!
Old 02-13-2013, 09:29 AM   #18
Guru

Quote:
I'd call the folks at Raritan

You can use the purasan with hold n treat controls with your current holding tank

The unit is plumbed between your holding tank and the discharge seacock. The hold n treat controls are tied to your macerator pump. You might need to install a float switch in your holding tank to make it all work together.
Kevin, I did as you said and phoned the people at Raritan. You are indeed correct. The system will work with my current holding tank. They sent me a drawing, but are updating their drawing and instructions. They will send that when ready. Now, finding the place to install in the proper order is the big problem. That will wait until I can get back to the boat in a couple of weeks. Thanks ever so much.
Old 02-13-2013, 11:18 AM   #19
TF Site Team

Quote:
Kevin, I did as you said and phoned the people at Raritan. You are indeed correct. The system will work with my current holding tank. They sent me a drawing, but are updating their drawing and instructions. They will send that when ready. Now, finding the place to install in the proper order is the big problem. That will wait until I can get back to the boat in a couple of weeks. Thanks ever so much.
Your life will be changed forever. I cant remember my last pumpout, and I'm glad to have lost that part of my life.

www.mvlisasway.com