Old 04-05-2014, 09:11 AM   #1
Guru

City: Biloxi Mississippi
Vessel Name: Patricia Louise II
Vessel Model: 1983 42' Present Sundeck
Any Experience with Mermaid Manufacturing?

Greetings all. I am shopping to replace our rear 16,000 btu split unit with a self contained unit. I seem to remember reading favorable reviews on the forum a while back. Any suggestions ??

Old 04-05-2014, 09:19 AM   #2
Guru

City: Biloxi, MS
Vessel Name: Cajun Rose
Vessel Model: Biloxi Lugger
Steve, going to the boat show? Maybe they will have some vendors. I'll be there looking around. Paul

swampu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 09:41 AM   #3
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by swampu View Post
Steve, going to the boat show? Maybe they will have some vendors. I'll be there looking around. Paul
Hey Paul, I was going to PM you earlier and couldn't figure out how now that I'm using the app and not Safari!! We took in the vendors yesterday evening and didn't see anything AC. Lots of great engine reps there, Cat, Deere, etc. There is a Bushnell booth and the have a great deal on a pair of auto focus nocs for a little over $225. And free floating key chains everywhere in every color. I had a pocket full! We are staying at The Courtyard across the street, but have to go back to the boat today before we leave for home. I will give you a call when there in case you are still around and we can meet up.
Old 04-05-2014, 12:08 PM   #4
Guru

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: Louisa
Vessel Model: Custom Built 38
I installed two Mermaid package units when I finished building my boat in 2007: One 12000, one 6500. They have been very good. They use a household thermostat, and one died, replaced with Home Depot type for like 40bucks. I like not having some sooper digital fantastick whizbang type control that costs big time when it poops.

Units are reasonably quiet. The 6500 is under my bunk and I can sleep right over it. Only complaint is the contactor makes a pretty loud click when it starts the compressor. Not a big deal.

I have not had any contact with the company since, but if they are still in business and making units, I'd recommend them.
Ski in NC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 02:42 PM   #5
Guru

City: Southern Maine
Vessel Name: Cygnus
Vessel Model: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser
I had the 9000 in my last boat. Never had a problem with it. Only comment was concerning the thermostat. My new t-stats are programmed to briefly reverse the cycle after running for a long time in cooling mode, to prevent icing. Maybe Mermaid does that now too.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 06:10 PM   #6
Guru

Sounds like a good move guys. Hey Paul, I enjoyed seeing you and yours at the Boat Show. Keep us posted on Rose!!
Old 04-05-2014, 07:53 PM   #7
Veteran Member

City: New Orleans
Vessel Name: Catalyst
Vessel Model: 50 ft Power Cat
I have a very positive opinion of Mermaid. I have 3 of their AC units and an icemaker. I replaced an old CruiseAir 16 with a Mermaid 12...same cool, same heat. All stainless, easy install.
neworleansrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 10:26 PM   #8
Guru

Thanks Rich. I called their business line Thursday and a real lady answered the phone (already impressive). She put me on hold till Dennis could pick up. He sounded slightly busy- but still didn't mind answering a few questions. Apparently he handles sales and technical. I'm gonna go with the Mermaid. Should place the order in two weeks. I do want to try to get an installation manual so I can plan on changing some of my ductwork if needed to have the suggested square inches of venting.
Old 04-06-2014, 07:44 AM   #9
FF
Guru

To me the big question is will you need heat , and how cold does the local water get in winter?

IF the answer is COLD , perhaps the Mitsubishi mini split would be a better choice for many boaters.

Air unit so no problem with leaking circ pumps or jellies in the sea water inlet.

If you winter in a marina where there are electric meters , cutting the winter bill by 4/5 might sound good.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 08:26 AM   #10
Guru

Hey FF
Heat. Yes. Front air is also in place so gonna stay with same style.
Old 04-06-2014, 09:01 AM   #11
Veteran Member

City: New Orleans
Vessel Name: Catalyst
Vessel Model: 50 ft Power Cat
One thing I forgot to mention: I have one of their 12 units with "strip" heat (not reverse cycle heat). The reverse cycle heat puts out much more heat compared to the strip heat unit. However, on the Gulf Coast it's enough for me on that unit. If it was your only source of heat, I would go with reverse cycle. However, the strip heat does have some advantages: I was up in the boat yard for much of this last January and February. The strip heat does not need water flow so I was able to keep the boat warm inside.
neworleansrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 08:04 AM   #12
Guru

Vessel Name: Anastasia III
Vessel Model: Krogen 42
I love my Mermaid 16,500 unit. So much, I'm about to order another one to replace my defunct 25 year old unit. 5 year warranty too.
Keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 09:29 AM   #13
Guru

These guys must make an awesome unit with so many favorable responses. I believe Cruise Air and Marine Aire maybe are all part of the Dometic group now?? I installed a new Tundra T80 (Dometic) fridge years ago and was never happy with it. Glad to see someone in the states filling the AC market needs so thoroughly.
Old 04-07-2014, 09:50 AM   #14
Guru

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: Louisa
Vessel Model: Custom Built 38
Regarding heat, both my Mermaids have froze up running in heat mode with sea water in the low 40's. That's about the limit for most all reverse cycle marine units. I also found if I start the unit, let it run about 15min, then turn it off and leave pump on (I added a switch to do this), then restart unit about 15min later, it won't freeze up even down around 40F water temp. The icing seems worse when unit first starts up, this gets you through it. I run a lot in the winter, so have a good amount of experience with these things in heat mode.

Above about 45F water temp, no issue with heat at all.

And these things make real heat. Plenty warm. Not like the "cold draft pump" in my house.

Anyone know if they have a fan speed control option? My 12k in pilothouse works great, but moves a lot of air and flow noise is pretty high at the louver. I'd like to slow the fan on low demand times. I'll check the site.
Ski in NC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 01:56 PM   #15
Guru

City: Fort Myers
Installed their 16,500 unit 18 years ago, first unit failed 1 week in, they shipped another right to me, dropped the defective one in the box and shipped back, never had a problem with the replacement unit. They were very good to deal with.
Marlinmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 09:27 PM   #16
Guru

OK Crew, time and budget finally cooperated, and I installed a new M16 unit with reverse cooling. I first removed the OLD Marine Air 16k btu split unit, afterwards I cut and installed a new 3/4" plywood base and secured to the original locker floor. The Mermaid rests on top of a very thick rubber pad that isolates vibration. New cooling hoses and wiring to twin AC/ one pump relay box and I was ready to drop the new unit in. During shipping my unit had a small bit collateral damage that resulted in several bent evaporator fins. I carefully straightened these and then dropped this heavy rascal in the home. The stated dimensions are slightly off on the length (L - 19.75", W - 13.5", H - 13.75"), due to the overhang of the base by the blower housing. These units come with the electric box you see in the picture- connection from here to the unit is by a pre made cable with a latching plug. I would have mounted this box higher, but unfortunately the original supply wire from the breaker only had this much length. After attaching in/out cooling lines, power from breaker, power to the pump relay box and wiring in the four wires for the thermostat I was done. The AC unit comes with a "washable/ reusable" filter that is held with Velcro in front of the evaporator which I did use, but my primary filtered air approach was to use insulation strips around exterior door, secure "porch screen" on the inside of the door opening, and I also bedded all wiring and hoses in silicone as they went through the locker wall. The unit fired right up and cooled fine. Sorry- apparently I didn't grab any pictures showing the 4 and 6 inch ducting. 6 inch went to Saloon and 4" feeds the aft cabin. When I get back to the boat hopefully I can get the programmable thermostat set!
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1407806564.142305.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	116.0 KB
ID:	31978Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1407806590.176953.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	61.8 KB
ID:	31979Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1407806701.028552.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	72.1 KB
ID:	31980Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1407806717.776163.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	83.1 KB
ID:	31981Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1407806738.356462.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	83.5 KB
ID:	31982Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1407806751.373878.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	64.3 KB
ID:	31983Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1407806770.306766.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	70.7 KB
ID:	31984

Present 42 Sundeck
Old 08-11-2014, 10:21 PM   #17
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. F. Do the fish go inside the unit or in the ducting somewhere and does the species matter. Those seem to be trout of some sort. Will catfish or brim do as well? Are they mounted head first or tail first or again, does it matter?
Old 08-11-2014, 10:29 PM   #18
Guru

Thanks RTF! I was hoping SOMEONE would look at the pictures . I actually caught 6 nice speckled trout (live shrimp/ popping cork) during my AC install. Turns out the best place to put them were in the frying pan...

Present 42 Sundeck
Old 08-12-2014, 08:29 AM   #19
Guru

City: Niceville, FL
Vessel Name: At Last
Vessel Model: 1990 Jefferson 52 Marquessa
Nice install and good catch! Now you can be cool and eat your fish!
Rogerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 08:59 AM   #20
Guru

City: Sarasota,FL/Thomasville,GA
Vessel Name: Steppin Stone IV
Vessel Model: Marine Trader Kelly Trawler 46
Send a message via Skype™ to siestakey
Ok next time invite us for dinner and we will help with the install

siestakey is offline   Reply With Quote