Old 09-08-2014, 03:51 AM   #41
City: Kitimat, North Coast BC
Vessel Name: Badger
Vessel Model: 30' Sundowner Tug
C lectric, you Da Man!

Will definately only close the damper when baking something. There were carbon dunes over an inch thick under the oven box when I cleaned it, so who knows what lurks in areas the scraper couldn't reach.

Didn't notice a catch on the oven door, but it does stay open a couple inches all by itself...will check for some sort of catch, or fab one up if one isn't there for rough weather.

Good point, in that #1 on the control valve at 14 degrees Celsius in light rain and light wind would be woefully inadequate for keeping us warm at -20 Celcius with a 20 knot outflow wind.

Thanks a heap for giving us such a quick boost up the learning curve!!!

"The most interesting path between two points is not a straight line" Murray Minchin
MurrayM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 10:14 PM   #42
City: Somewhere
I should have mentioned that the area under the oven floor needs to be accessed.

My Dickinson has a wee closure plate that is revealed once the entire front face of the stove is removed. There will be soot/carbon buildup that needs to be removed.

Failure to do so can actually be dangerous. I have never had this happen to me not seen it, but was told by another long term Dickinson user/owner that sometimes if that carbon layer builds up too high a fire can start in it if the stove is really hot. So it's good you found it. There will be some left. Same in mine, not able to get all of it, but the remainer should not be a problem.

I do mine about every two to three years. You might want to check on yours yearly for a couple years untill you get a feel of how fast the buildup occurs. If you only use the stove for heating, not cooking in the oven therefore not using the damper, it will be slower to build up.

C lectric is offline   Reply With Quote