Adding a Jog Lever

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Still don’t get difference

Between follow up and no follow up. I have been using 5he dial on my auto pilot but this might even be faster?

Read the entire thread and you will find the explanation.

Dan, I get it. Jog levers are bad.

It would be nice to get this thread back to the technical aspects again.

Jog levers bad just like the steering wheel in your car... If you turn when not appropriate, you crash. Why is a jog lever being blamed for ships and girls? I guarantee there is not one Jog lever on that ship. Jog to the left or right is an adjective not a noun, no matter how much some peeps on here want to persuade otherwise.....

Between follow up and no follow up. I have been using 5he dial on my auto pilot but this might even be faster?

On some autopilots, in the standby mode, pushing the port or starboard arrow button will turn the rudder at full speed of the autopilot pump

Ted.

Eagle, did you install a jog lever as described?

Hello Fletcher,

Haven't got that far yet - I'm still playing with the steering pump speed settings.

At the moment the pump is set too slow, but each speed adjustment impacts the AP setup, so I'll waiting until my current solstice celebration duties abate before testing the faster pump settings on the AP in various sea states.

My worry is that the Raymarine AP sensitivity range settings can cope with the increased pump speed.

I want a jog lever only for rapid helm movement during close quarter manoeuvring and don't expect to use the lever any other time, but of course I'm willing to learn new ways.

Attachments

• DSC00144.jpg
    DSC00144.jpg
    104.3 KB · Views: 109
Last edited:
NFU? Could I have a description of the jog lever, I gather it makes turning faster, and NFU....no fxxxing clue...

After a career in the Army I developed a severe allergy to abbreviations and acronyms. English is generally good enough for me.

On my boat, the jog lever turns the rudder. The farther the lever is moved, the faster the rudder's rate of turn. Centering the job lever stops the rudder where ever it was last, on a NFU (No Follow Up). Basically, that means you are still turning, unless you have a rudder angle indicator to tell you when you have straightened out the rudder. Jog levers with follow up straighten out the rudders when the jog lever is centered. I wish mine were FU.

Current thought is to add a lever to the Raymarine Evolution hydraulic pilot.
I just read 4 pages of this thread and still don't know what a "jog lever" is! I have an Evolution 200 AP on my boat & I use the power steering mode when the need to move the rudder fast arrises. By turning the knob fast or slow results in a corresponding rudder movement.

Attachments

• IMG_1557.jpg
    IMG_1557.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 113
I just read 4 pages of this thread and still don't know what a "jog lever" is! I have an Evolution 200 AP on my boat & I use the power steering mode when the need to move the rudder fast arrises. By turning the knob fast or slow results in a corresponding rudder movement.

Walt,

Your steering knob performs the same function as a FU (follow up steering or jog lever) like this one. It is NOT spring loaded and does not self-center when released, but does have a detent you can feel at 0. The faster you move the lever, the faster it turns the rudder. It is proportional in both angle and speed. It is literally like having a tiller.
1384608855_Simrad_FU50.jpg

Conversely, an NFU (non follow up steering or jog lever) can look like this example. It has no pointer or graduations, it IS spring loaded and self-centers when released. When engaged, it moves the rudder at full speed until released. It essentially an ON-OFF-ON switch, that's all. Whether a lever like this, a smaller joy stick, a toggle switch or left/right push-buttons, they all function the same in every NFU control I have ever used. The systems for larger vessels may have proportional speed control, but that's just a guess.
S35_lg.jpg

Jog Sticks or Jog Levers can be purchased in either FU or NFU configuration, but not all autopilots support them. Case in point, Garmin.

Here's an example of a non return jog lever at a stern docking station.

DSCN1657.jpg

DSCN1543.jpg

The docking station has a single lever shift and throttle control, the non return jog lever, and the bow thruster control. The jog lever allows me to position the rudder for "back and fill" when stern docking into a slip. Since it is a non return model, the rudder angle can remain constant while one hand is shifting the transmission and the other can bump the bow over with the bow thruster.

Ted

Jog levers bad just like the steering wheel in your car... If you turn when not appropriate, you crash. Why is a jog lever being blamed for ships and girls? I guarantee there is not one Jog lever on that ship. Jog to the left or right is an adjective not a noun, no matter how much some peeps on here want to persuade otherwise.....

I realize that. Google: "Irony".

Thanks for the technical info related to these. I am still interested in installing one, but need to figure out how intensive and $ the project will be.

I briefly spoke to Furono Tech Support today.

The Furono Jog Lever will move the steering ram at the same velocity as the AP. Lock to lock on a typical rudder is about 14 seconds, so 7 seconds from neutral to hard over port or starb. The time to manually turn the wheel the same rotational distance is therefore about the same as using a jog lever that is in sync with the AP.

I am still deciding, but I am thinking I will skip it.

Disclaimer: There are different ways to approach this as others have already noted. I know enough to be dangerous about the subject so take my comments for what they are worth; .02.

Thanks mytraveler.

On my boat, the jog lever turns the rudder. The farther the lever is moved, the faster the rudder's rate of turn. Centering the job lever stops the rudder where ever it was last, on a NFU (No Follow Up). Basically, that means you are still turning, unless you have a rudder angle indicator to tell you when you have straightened out the rudder. Jog levers with follow up straighten out the rudders when the jog lever is centered. I wish mine were FU.

I now understand

Here's my jog lever solution -

I eventually decided to install the new Raymarine jog lever.

I only use it to move the rudder from stop to stop when close quarter manoeuvring. Its current position means that I can operate it from the side deck and it's out of the way otherwise.

It's not as rapid stop to stop as I'd like, but it's the best compromise without getting into new steering pumps, plumbing etc.

This is a temp layout while I see how the ergonomics work with the other controls, but so far it's working well, and so much easier.

Attachments

• DSC02695.jpg
    DSC02695.jpg
    112.2 KB · Views: 82
  • DSC02682.jpg
    DSC02682.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 103
  • DSC02696.jpg
    DSC02696.jpg
    105.1 KB · Views: 79
I eventually decided to install the new Raymarine jog lever.

I only use it to move the rudder from stop to stop when close quarter manoeuvring. Its current position means that I can operate it from the side deck and it's out of the way otherwise.

It's not as rapid stop to stop as I'd like, but it's the best compromise without getting into new steering pumps, plumbing etc.

This is a temp layout while I see how the ergonomics work with the other controls, but so far it's working well, and so much easier.

Which RM autopilot do you have? I’d love it but I don’t think it is compatible with my prior generation AP.

Mine is an Evolution model, but if yours has a 'power steer' option I think it should work .

Back
Top Bottom