Old 08-26-2018, 07:01 AM   #1
Guru

City: Southern Maine
Vessel Model: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser
Silent Potable Water Pump?

My potable water pump is in the ER, but can be heard throughout the boat. Especially in the forward cabin, where guests sleep.

Every late-night trip to the head, or morning shave, wakes up the guests. Forget about taking a shower until everyone's awake.

I've un-mounted the pump from the ER sole, and stuffed a doubled-over heavy rubber mat under it to see what effect that might have. Very little, as it turned out.

I can relocate the pump nearer the water tank under our master berth. We'd sleep right through it, but I wonder if anyone makes a quiet pump.

I'm open to other ideas.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 07:31 AM   #2
TF Site Team

City: Seneca Lake NY
Vessel Name: Bacchus
Vessel Model: MS 34 HT Trawler
Rubber hose vs "hard" tubing on inlet / outlet helps but it "sounds" like your pump alone is noisy.
Relocation may be the best solution.
Soft mount, soft hose, accumulator tank might be worthwile adds when relocating.
Bacchus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 08:00 AM   #3
Veteran Member

City: Texas
Vessel Name: Miss Adventure
Vessel Model: DeFever 49 CMY
There's this one. X-Caliber-12-24 DC Water Pressure Pump| Headhunter Inc.
They are centrifugal pumps and a bit expensive. I don't own one but they are supposedly quiet.
Old 08-26-2018, 08:09 AM   #4
Guru

Thanks, I thought about soft hoses. It's already all PEX, and I was wondering how much difference that might make. Certainly an easy fix to try out, just have to make up some short pieces.
Old 08-26-2018, 09:02 AM   #5
Grand Vizier

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTom View Post
My potable water pump is in the ER, but can be heard throughout the boat. Especially in the forward cabin, where guests sleep.

Every late-night trip to the head, or morning shave, wakes up the guests. Forget about taking a shower until everyone's awake.

I've un-mounted the pump from the ER sole, and stuffed a doubled-over heavy rubber mat under it to see what effect that might have. Very little, as it turned out.

I can relocate the pump nearer the water tank under our master berth. We'd sleep right through it, but I wonder if anyone makes a quiet pump.

I'm open to other ideas.
None are silent, but the Headhunter pump is as close as you can get. With the ER door closed, we can't hear it at all and it is right next to the door.
Old 08-26-2018, 11:29 AM   #6
Guru

City: Pender Harbour, BC
Vessel Name: Gwaii Haanas
Vessel Model: Custom Aluminum 52
$1200!!! That's a bit silly, don't you think?
Old 08-26-2018, 11:32 AM   #7
Guru

City: Quebec
Vessel Name: Bleuvet
Vessel Model: Custom Built
Enclose your pump in a wooden box with inside covered with sound insulation, and mount it on soft rubber feet, for 10$ yo will reduce the noise enough that you should not notice it pretty much.

L
Lou_tribal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 11:34 AM   #8
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
The newer pumps with 4 or 5 diaphram chambers are much quieter.

I wish my salt water washdown was noisier so I could tell it is air locked and running over time.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 12:21 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTom View Post
Thanks, I thought about soft hoses. It's already all PEX, and I was wondering how much difference that might make. Certainly an easy fix to try out, just have to make up some short pieces.
Adding an accumulator helped quiet mine significantly. Pretty reasonably priced if searched online. I added a "Seaflo" brand last time I replaced my freshwater pump.
Old 08-26-2018, 12:26 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xsbank View Post
$1200!!! That's a bit silly, don't you think?
To each his own. I'm fairly certain a sizable portion of the population would think what we spent for our boats was silly too.

Edit; Every cruiser's report I've seen says they are REALLY quiet. Silence, in this case, is priced like it really is golden.
Old 08-26-2018, 12:56 PM   #11

City: La Conner, WA
Vessel Name: Carousel
Vessel Model: Bayliner 4788 (1998)
I have a similar noise problem that I haven't taken the time to track down. In my case the pump along with an accumulator is in the ER but the noise is in the aft cabin near one of the water tanks. I suspect the noise is from a pipe that is not fastened down well enough. Another thought I've had is that the accumulator needs to be looked at. Google "water hammer" and see if that might be the issue. There are a lot of products available to reduce water hammer for homes.
NWSeadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 02:43 PM   #12
Guru

City: Pender Harbour, BC
Vessel Name: Gwaii Haanas
Vessel Model: Custom Aluminum 52
If you do buy an accumulator, buy it from an irrigation shop for peanuts or buy the same thing from a marine store (identical) for hundreds. Then you could afford the pump...
Old 08-26-2018, 03:44 PM   #13
TF Site Team

City: Jacksonville
You might try another mounting option. Our water and vacuum pumps are mounted on hose. That and the newer pumps as psneeld mentioned, might make the difference. When we redid the engine (picture), we also used soft hose from the copper to the pump. The only way we now know the pump is on is by looking at the led pump indicator light.
Attached Thumbnails
EC68028E-E074-41AF-A56A-F7D8CB8B1F81.jpeg  
Larry M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 04:36 PM   #14
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. LM. Now THAT is one humdinger, jim dandy, by cracky, holy shat idea! THANKS!

Old 08-26-2018, 07:57 PM   #15
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry M View Post
You might try another mounting option. Our water and vacuum pumps are mounted on hose.
Now THAT's a great idea!!

I have lots of short hose scraps laying around anyway. I'm going to give that a shot, along with sections of hose before the PEX plumbing.

Thanks!!
Old 08-26-2018, 08:46 PM   #16
TF Site Team

City: Saltspring Island
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry M View Post
You might try another mounting option. Our water and vacuum pumps are mounted on hose. That and the newer pumps as psneeld mentioned, might make the difference. When we redid the engine (picture), we also used soft hose from the copper to the pump. The only way we now know the pump is on is by looking at the led pump indicator light.
Mine is also mounted on hose, though I used black rubber 1/2" hose on its side. Quite a bit softer than what Larry used.
An accumulator also has enough volume to eliminate the pump cycling during the night, provided you make sure it has cycled before everyone goes to sleep.
Old 08-26-2018, 08:50 PM   #17
Guru

City: Tacoma, WA & Ashland, OR
Vessel Name: boatless, ex: Seeadler
Vessel Model: RAWSON 41
Just for the sake of exploring the issue:

I just had a freshwater crisis to which I was alerted by being repeatedly awakened by the paired sounds of freshwater accumulator and bilge pump in the night. (More detail in the current Alaska thread)

Silence is not always golden.
AlaskaProf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 10:36 PM   #18
Guru

City: East Coast
Vessel Name: M/V Maerin (Sold)
Vessel Model: Solo 4303
I use a solution similar to Larry's with the difference in that I like to use silicone hose because I find it to be more resilient, thus more effective.

As regards the pump noise, the pump itself probably isn't that noisy, it's the piping that's transmitting the noise throughout the boat. The piping is filled with water, and we all know how well sound travels through water. The straighter the line, the more direct the transmission of the vibration set up by the concussion of the diaphragm action. That's why you hear it clearly in the other end of the boat.

If you can mix up the direction close to the source, it will help in diminishing the transmission. Use as flexible a hose as you can close to the pump, keep it long enough to make a full circle loop, and don't attach it directly to a solid surface. Both inlet/outlet. I've used 3/4" braided washing machine hoses; pretty robust, easy to fit, suitable for potable water, readily available in varying lengths, and large enough not to create a pressure drop problem. The loop will help dissipate the straight-line transmission, the flexible hose will convert the straight line pulses from the length to the circumference, e.g. the hose diameter will absorb some of the pulsing. If you're using PEX, it's probably amplifying the noise, you need to attenuate it close to the source.
There are commercially available equipment mounting vibration isolators that aren't terribly expensive. They're made in almost any configuration you could imagine. I use the small ones for small motors/pumps. The silicone ones are very "squishy" and provide lots of attenuation. I used them to mount the A/C unit located under our berth. Pretty amazing the reduction in sound from just those little isolators. My watermaker membrane was transmitting a huge amount of vibration into the mounting structure, a few small isolators knocked the vibration down from annoying as hell to barely discernable. Well worth the effort to implement. One tip- match the rating of the isolator as closely as possible to the weight of the equipment. Too heavy and it's not going to be effective. It needs to be able to flex to do its job.

https://maerin.net
Maerin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 05:05 AM   #19
TF Site Team

City: Seneca Lake NY
Vessel Name: Bacchus
Vessel Model: MS 34 HT Trawler
Hose mounting is a great idea.
Larry's looks like sanitation hose and pretty stiff. The soft vinyl or rubber (without reinforcing) is even better.
Same idea works well for blower motors.
Bacchus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 05:56 AM   #20
FF
Guru

"Silence is not always golden."

Especially in an offshore boat.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote