Old 08-19-2015, 05:50 AM   #1
Guru

City: Seattle
STEERING: Hydraulic vs Mechanical Steering for 50ft Trawler

My builder is proposing various steering systems:

1) Manual hydraulic
2) Cable steering
3) Gear/shaft/U-joint mechanical - simple "Z" shape would require a total of three 90 degree turns and a pair of U-joints

My boat has only a pilothouse control station and a 30 inch wheel is easy to accommodate. An autopilot will need a hydraulic cylinder to be mounted to the steering quadrant, which would offer much-appreciated redundancy.

My previous 65ft power boat had cable steering and personally I thought it was fantastic: it offered "feel" and the kingspoke on the wheel never drifted even a fraction of a degree. Very tight. However you certainly could feel friction in the system.

A drive shaft system should have lower friction than the cable but would pass through the cabins belowdecks, and with only 6ft 4in headroom down there the shaft would be obtrusive.

The requirement is for simplicity and dependability. Personally I'm inclined to either #1 or #2.

Some feedback please.
Mako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 07:15 AM   #2
Technical Guru

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: Louisa
Vessel Model: Custom Built 38
Go hydraulic. Much easier to install hardware and easier to install autopilot.
Ski in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 07:22 AM   #3
Guru

City: Vermont
Another vote for hydraulic. I also think it's the only approach where your helm wheel will stand still when on autopilot. I think with the other approaches when your pilot steers, the helm wheel will follow too. That seems weird at best, and dangerous at worst.
Old 08-19-2015, 07:38 AM   #4
Guru

City: Sarasota,FL/Thomasville,GA
Vessel Name: Steppin Stone IV
Vessel Model: Marine Trader Kelly Trawler 46
Hydraulic for sure
siestakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 07:43 AM   #5
Guru

City: Atlantic Highlands, NJ
Vessel Name: Moana Huaka'i
Vessel Model: Selene 53
Yup, hydraulic.
No Mast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 09:18 AM   #6
Guru

City: South FL
Vessel Name: Oliver
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 47 Hull# 12
Hydraulic !
Nordhavn 47 Hull #12
N4712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 09:25 AM   #7
Guru

City: Atlantic Highlands, NJ
Vessel Name: Moana Huaka'i
Vessel Model: Selene 53
What's happening??? I am seeing a unified response, on THIS forum???? where are the proponents of using hemp line (environmentally friendly) and radio controlled servos (hi tech) and telepathy (alien technology) and a BIG tiller instead (old purists), etc....

This is crazy
No Mast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 11:45 AM   #8
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Mast View Post
What's happening??? I am seeing a unified response, on THIS forum????
THE TENTH MAN
If nine of us look at the same information and arrive at the same conclusion, it's the duty of the tenth man to disagree. No matter how absurd it may seem, the tenth man must work on the assumption that the other 9 are wrong.

So if I may be the skeptic, the outcast, let me ask… what exactly is wrong with mechanical steering? Where's the weakness? In what way is it not extremely reliable?

1) It costs less to install, so that difference will make up for having to install a hydraulic actuator for the autopilot, therefore cost works out the same.
2) Hydraulics are easier to install. Am only installing one steering system and it's the builder doing it, not me.
3) The wheel spins when the autopilot is on. Yes it does. It's a bit weird but works fine and I never suffered an injury in all those years using it.
Old 08-19-2015, 12:10 PM   #9
Technical Guru

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: Louisa
Vessel Model: Custom Built 38
Nothing wrong with mechanical steering. If that is what you want, then go for it.

I just like hydraulic better. I don't like the rudder moving on its own when I take my hands off the wheel. Installing an AP is easier with hydraulic, and there are many more options available for hyd AP's.

If you are going to do mechanical steering with hyd AP, then what is the point? You will need a hyd cyl anyway, and have a clutch to disengage cyl from the quadrant.
Ski in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 12:18 PM   #10

City: Astoria
Vessel Name: Florence A
Vessel Model: 47' Sutton
I have mechanical steering. Wheel chain drives the shaft which runs a honking enormous 90 degree gear box that sits atop the rudder shaft. Stone axe simple.
1 system failure shortly after launch noted in log book (I suspect something was not tightened at the time of install) and other than that it just works. 50 year old boat and about 6000 hours. Auto pilot is chain driven to the shaft.
BryanF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 12:28 PM   #11
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanF View Post
I have mechanical steering… Auto pilot is chain driven to the shaft.
I had a similar setup with my old Wood-Freeman. What type of drive unit are you using? I have been unable to find a modern (non-hydraulic) drive with enough power to move a large rudder properly.
Old 08-19-2015, 12:44 PM   #12
QB

City: San Diego and Gabriola
Vessel Name: Skookum Maru
Vessel Model: Ed Monk design #1924
Quote:
Originally Posted by makobuilders View Post
I have been unable to find a modern (non-hydraulic) drive with enough power to move a large rudder properly.
Jefa has a 300 Nm sprocket drive, how much more do you need? Jefa Steering Systems
QB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 12:52 PM   #13

City: Madisonville
Vessel Name: Aku Uka
Vessel Model: 43’ DeFever
I have a chain and shaft steering system. After I bought the boat the AP failed and that was my excuse to upgrade. Couldn't find an AP for a 35 yr. old system so was going to install hydraulic system. Then I found that Raymarine had a mechanical drive AP. I installed it and after five years now, not one problem. Just saying. I still like the idea of having a more modern system. But, all the guys I listen to with hydraulics complain about leaks, pump failures while on trips, etc. My AP may quit but the mechanical steering will get me back home.
Old 08-19-2015, 02:39 PM   #14
Guru

City: NC
I would also put in a backup steering system including a backup autopilot and it's own hydraulic cylinder.

Later,
Dan
dannc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 03:14 PM   #15
Guru

City: Flattop Islands
Vessel Name: Blackfish
Vessel Model: custom
Quote:
Originally Posted by QB View Post
Jefa has a 300 Nm sprocket drive, how much more do you need? Jefa Steering Systems
That's nice but.....2500 Euros for an electric motor?!!! The Wood-Freeman used the starter from an old Dodge car, $40-60 at the local junker.
Tad Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 03:50 PM   #16
Guru

City: Cape Cod, MA
Vessel Name: Island Seeker
Vessel Model: Willard 36 Sedan
One of my boats had shaft, chain and sprocket, mechanical steering. Dead simple, cheap, reliable. All good till I added AP then the wrap-up in the long shaft back to the rudder confused the hell out of the AP and it never would work right. Changed to Wagner hyd, problem solved.
Brooksie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 07:11 PM   #17
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in the Great Lakes
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Have chain gear reduction to shaft pittman arm in the dive boat (Bruno & Stillman). With a balanced rudder, there is no easier (least effort) steering. Can literally steer with 1 finger at 8 knots, no cranking a hydraulic pump while docking (single screw). Far fewer failure points than hydraulic. Only thing replaced in 40 years are the 2 tie rod ends twice and the 2 reduction chains (rusty, replaced with nickel plated). The AP is a hydraulic cylinder tied to the rudder arm that uses a typical AP pump. The system has an electric hydraulic valve. Energized, the pump is tied to the cylinder. Deenergized the valve ties the cylinder ports together so that the cylinder moves freely. I run on AP 80% of the time without a problem.

It's an absolutely great system with simple redundancy that I'll never change. That being said, I would never have it in my trawler if it required the shaft running through staterooms with the shaft, universal joints, and bearings turning exposed to guests.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 07:21 AM   #18
FF
Guru

MY vote is for the cable.

#1 its far easier to repair should a hassle underway happen. Easy enough to have a fly bridge and not spend a week chasing air bubbles. Cost is minor, yet the feel is excellent., Hyd has no feel.

Parts are anywhere , O rings and rebuild kits are not.

#2 a wheel operated auto pilot should cost 1/4 of a hyd package , is far easier to install or repair.

#3 should a repair be required the emergency deck tiller can be used with out going below and attempting to disconnect a bunch of rusty fittings.

KISS , never lets you down.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 08:50 AM   #19
Guru

City: Adelaide
Vessel Name: Kokanee
Vessel Model: Cuddles 30 Pilot House Motor Sailer
I'm with you FF.

I've never had a boat with hydraulic steering, so I may not know what I am missing.

But - I have zero problems with my mechanical system. The autopilot drive is mounted directly on the helm wheel (Autohelm 4000). It is a simple system but works perfectly in all conditions over about 2-3 knots in speed. Sure the wheel turns on its own, but I don't see a problem with that.

The helm wheel is light in any conditions. I have great feel for what is happening when in a following sea, but never so much that its a lot of work.

I can fix anything that breaks. I recently picked up a complete spare autopilot (used) for $60, so I'm covered there.
The emergency tiller can be dropped into place and operating in about 30 seconds.

What advantage am I missing out on?
AusCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 10:39 AM   #20
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
AusCan I agree,
But the ability to stay on course w/o hands on input is very important to me. I love the feel of cable or gear steering and the ability to clock the helm to the rudder so one can come to dead ahead quickly w/o a rudder position indicator. We steer our boat all the time (don't have AP) and almost all the time I'm happy w that but most of the reason is because I can set the helm w just a few corrections and henceforth only occasionally make small corrections to stay on course.

But I love the feedback and feel of mechanical steering. I contemplated installing adjustable springs to make mechanical steering keep a course but decided it would'nt work.

Converted to hydraulic and am relatively happy. But a mechanical steering system mated to a good AP would be excellent.

Edit:
If I was the type of skipper that uses waypoints and follows a straight course the AP would be more attractive.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote