12V Refrigerator

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Greetings,
I've heard that about refrigerators, in general, before. Best do what the dealer recommends. Might be an urban legend but won't cost you anything to leave it for 24hrs in any case...
Yes on the urban legend. But that I will do. Tks for the encouragement

This not really an urban legend. A refrigerator makes cold by evaporating a liquid in gaz and then compress the gaz back to liquid and evacuating the resulting heat out of the fridge. When you move the fridge upside down you may have liquid mixing with gaz, which can find its way to the compressor responsible to compress the gaz back to liquid. As the liquid is not compressible this can result in some damage in the compressor. While unlikely it still a good practice to have the fridge in correct position waiting for some time.

L.

I had a window AC that was stored on its side for a year turned it back level allowed at the sit for weeks but it never ran properly again

You've already resolved your dilemma, but I'll throw in my two cents.

This weekend, my inverter/charger went on the fritz. The boat is dockside, hooked up to dock power.

If I had a DC- only fridge, I would have turned it off and emptied the contents, rather than risk depleting the house bank this week, while I'm away.

Because my fridge is AC/DC, I was able to bypass the inverter and keep the refrigerator running on dockside power.

I bought a norcold from a local RV dealer. He met an internet price I had found. Came in all boxed up. Took it to my boat and it did not come with front panels. They (rv dealer) are says front panels are ordered separately. I can not find any thing listed that way. My next move is to call Norcold direct. any comments??

When I bought a new Norcold several years ago, the front panel were ordered separately. The original Norcold had teak panels which were sized differently from the new one. The set I ordered came in black.

Most every Norcold listing I ever read says to order front panels separate.

Lots of folks just go to a big box store and find thin material they like and cut it to fit.

"Just out of curiosity, why is the electric $1.10 a kilowatt? Mine's metered and
.15 cents a kilowatt. "

"Different country. St. Lucia's Rodney Bay Marina."

In some locations the marina creates the electric , not a power company.

The usual is a larger gen set like a 6-71 at 1200RPM that needs fuel, oil and maint and replacement over the years.

A buck a KW is probably cheaper than most folks with noisemakers on board will pay.

"Just out of curiosity, why is the electric $1.10 a kilowatt? Mine's metered and
.15 cents a kilowatt. "

"Different country. St. Lucia's Rodney Bay Marina."

In some locations the marina creates the electric , not a power company.

The usual is a larger gen set like a 6-71 at 1200RPM that needs fuel, oil and maint and replacement over the years.

A buck a KW is probably cheaper than most folks with noisemakers on board will pay.
I agree with your analysis of my post. Not only is Rodney Bay Marina in a high cost (electricity wise) country but the Marina has to produce 60 hertz 240/120 v North American electricity for its North American boats. St. Lucia is a 50 hertz 240v European electricity country.

Yes the dollar a kilowatt is probably still cheaper than running the generator - all things considered. Fortunately for me my solar panels and wind generator still work in the marina. The shore power is used for refrigeration, water heating and battery equalization.

Go to a shop that sells stainless panels, with your measurements. Get the modern look, as in your kitchen at home.

I ordered and just received a NovaKool refrigerator for my 83 Mainship III. I specified AC/DC but I was shipped a DC only. My question, should it matter? Anything wrong with running off the batteries while the boat is plugged in to shore power at the dock? I assume that the charger should be running all the time when at the dock. The dealer offered to send out the AC/DC module and split the cost with me. Should I take him up on it or just call it a day and install the DC only model?

You ordered one thing and received something else. You shouldn't have to split the cost of anything. Insist that the dealer furnish what you ordered and paid for at no additional cost to you.

The dealer ended up doing the right thing and sent out the AC/DC module free of charge. The name of the dealer is campervanHQ. He sells both Nova Kool and Norcold. His prices are very competitive and the shipping is very reasonable. Dealing with people on the internet is a leap of faith but he earned my future business if I see something I need on his site.

That's good.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom