Old 03-18-2014, 03:32 PM   #21
Veteran Member

City: Seward, AK
Vessel Model: Custom 45' Steel Trawler
voip over satellite

FYI...it's the variation in latency that causes most of the problems, not the latency itself. This is jitter and your Cisco equipment has a 150ms jitter buffer before the voice RTP information is lost and you get "clipped". I have set up many IP telelphony links over satellite, so it works...250ms up and 250ms down from the bird.

Also, setup times using 4G can suffer from a long delay as the cellular equipment (UE) negotiates required bandwidth with the cell site (eNB). So, even though the latency is substantially lower over terrestrial cellular, the long negotiation causes jitter buffer over runs and VoIP performance will suffer. It takes a minimum threshold of sustained bandwidth to keep this from happening during a VoIP call over 4G and your boat network. This is part of the 4G specification, as the eNB releases resources for other attached users and even with a full 64kbps codec (80kbps with framing) is so small, that the eNB will release resources, until your laptop tries to download some email. Voila, you have a jitter overrun even though you have substantial bandwidth.

Although I do work on board, my requirements are modest. I have elected to skip satellite voice and broadband because the costs are hard to justify. I just move towards cellular coverage for voice and broadband when necessary, only using satellites for simple messaging. If you how, just contact a marine operator for a voice call through VHF in a pinch.

I'm off to break / fix some more networks...Ken, let me know if my boat is still attached to the dock!

AKFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 02:02 PM   #22

City: Finger Lakes New York
Vessel Name: Bright Horizon
Vessel Model: PT Trawler
My wife and I have been doing Boat Tours in Upstate New York for the last six years ( on a 25 foot pontoon) and are about to start our cruising life. We are buying a 36 foot PT Trawler and we are thinking of doing Boat Tours, Dinner Cruises and over nights as a business from the boat. I looked through this thread and did not see this anywhere. Do you think we could make this happen as we move around the great American Loop? The other issue I am having with this business plan is that my wife does not like the over-nights idea at all. (Even though there are two really nice and substantial state rooms.

Captainjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 02:26 PM   #23
Guru

City: Port Townsend, WA
Vessel Name: Traveler
Vessel Model: Cheoy Lee 46 LRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainjohn View Post
My wife and I have been doing Boat Tours in Upstate New York for the last six years ( on a 25 foot pontoon) and are about to start our cruising life. We are buying a 36 foot PT Trawler and we are thinking of doing Boat Tours, Dinner Cruises and over nights as a business from the boat. I looked through this thread and did not see this anywhere. Do you think we could make this happen as we move around the great American Loop? The other issue I am having with this business plan is that my wife does not like the over-nights idea at all. (Even though there are two really nice and substantial state rooms.
Probably the only way to have your wife like the overnight idea is to make it REALLY profitable. Market the Boat Tours and Dinner Cruises but just hint to "highly customized adventures". Then when someone asks, you know they're interested in more than just your standard offerings and might be more prepared to pay the extra dollars.

And if you only end up doing overnighters infrequently, it will be much easier on both of you. Because, as others will most likely attest, sharing a 36-foot double cabin trawler with a couple of "strangers" is going to make the boat smaller in a hurry... But, if it's just for one night and you're making a lot of money, it just might be worth it.
http://www.pacificnwboater.com
Moonfish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 10:55 PM   #24

City: grand rapids
Great information - In the near future I am planning on working on board. Internet would be needed for downloading and uploading large files - however ping is not a concern as much as data limits.

Do these satellite systems have a data cap? I've used directway (hughes net?) and it has a 1.5gig data cap.... which is USELESS for anything other than checking email.

I'd be curious to know if you ever hit the data caps, or "fair access policy" limits of the services, and how regularly.
freelancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 11:59 PM   #25
THD
Guru

City: Seattle
Cap't Jon-you might want to take a few minutes to peruse the USCG regs re boats for charter, inspections, certifications, etc. PRetty complex and can be expensive to meet requirements. And that is before we get to the requirements for a 6-pack license. It is not as easy as just advertising and finding business.
THD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 11:35 AM   #26
FF
Guru

>8. For receiving mail I use a UPS store which gives me a street address. If we are cruising, I call the store and they tell me what mail is waiting. They will destroy what I don't want and then priority mail what I do want to my location for a fee of $2.50 plus the actual postage.<

Really !! great tip.!!!

For a charter boat , not only the USCG will require a license for you endorsed for the many areas, the OTHER charter boats that work an area , and invest large sums in creating their traffic can get really nasty , with you eating their lunch.

I was partner in Bonny Blue which ran the Dismal Swamp as a scenic tour , over $70,000 for advertising each year , as a start, then you need permission from any dock that your customers will use.

Learn to cut hair , all cash , no hassles on the dock.

Learn to install and repair refrigeration or air cond , carry parts , all cash again.
FF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 12:23 PM   #27
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by FF View Post
>8. For receiving mail I use a UPS store which gives me a street address. If we are cruising, I call the store and they tell me what mail is waiting. They will destroy what I don't want and then priority mail what I do want to my location for a fee of $2.50 plus the actual postage.<

Really !! great tip.!!!
I'd also suggest companies such as St. Brendan's Isle for that. They take the service a step further in scanning mail for you, keeping and sending what you want and dumping junk mail for you. We do not use them, but know many who do. We actually have someone at home who does the same for us. Then we are also very much electronic and anti-mail. We get no bills by mail and virtually no business correspondence. Mainly tax notices, license renewals and things of that nature.

St. Brendan's other service is helping one establish Florida residency. We have a home in Florida so no need for that either. There are similar services in some other tax friendly states.
BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 01:09 PM   #28
Guru

City: Tuckerton, NJ
Vessel Name: WIRELESS ONE
Vessel Model: 36 Gulstar MarkII
While I'm skeptical of GlobalStar check out their SatFi unit it supports up to 8 smartphones using their voice application. I'm not sure about their coverage. their old coverage was terrible but they have officially announced that the new satellites are all in place and operational. I always found a combination of cellular, WiFi and Sat service served me best when I worked from the boat. The sat service came in handy after 1 hurricane and a nasty Northeaster where the local cell service took days to be rebuilt and come back on line. I was using Fleet Broadband 150 service at the time and it was costly but not as costly s lost business.
Bill
Billylll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 01:40 PM   #29
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billylll View Post
The sat service came in handy after 1 hurricane and a nasty Northeaster where the local cell service took days to be rebuilt and come back on line. I was using Fleet Broadband 150 service at the time and it was costly but not as costly s lost business.
Bill
You point out something we don't normally think of, the value of satellite service in the event of a disaster of some sort. I once dealt with a company that had a facility in a relatively small town in Colombia. Phone service was outrageously difficult to get and expensive. So they put in Satellite service. There was subsequently an earthquake and they were the only ones in town who could communicate outside. They actually became the communications center for the town. For those who had family working there it was priceless.
BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 07:48 AM   #30

City: Beaucette Marina
Vessel Name: Play d'eau
Vessel Model: Fleming 55
An issue we had was that our boat insurance limits business meetings to two a month.
Old 01-29-2015, 12:52 PM   #31
Veteran Member

City: Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by caltexflanc View Post
I did this for about a year and a half of our full time cruising days. Though I can't say it was anything near full time work, and not as an employee. I was doing some consulting and helping put some small mergers together. We set up for it with a ready to assemble desk that fit and matched almost perfectly, had a couple file drawers and accommodated an iMac and an HP all-in-one. (Old pic, that iMac bit the dust and was replaced with a new one a couple years ago)

I could also use my laptop at the dinette or on the aft deck, each of which afforded more surface to spread out papers, etc.

I remember being moored out in Boot Key Harbor, I was on a conference call with a couple of business owners and an investment banker. Heard some knocks on the side of the boat and it was a small dinghy flotilla of my buddy bums armed with their afternoon's beer and thermoses. I waved them off, pointing to my cell phone, the spent the rest of the time circling the boat and making faces at me. Talk about when world's collide!

All in all I personally found it very difficult to do real work and cruise, and made the decision early in the first few months to focus on cruising full time. That's what I quit my "real job" to do for a couple years and we wanted to make the most of it. But as we began to stretch that two year plan out a bit, I had to start getting back into it more seriously, partly because the recession hit and I had to get sucked in to help some ventures I had a hand in. I finally had to just dock the boat in Hollywood, FL for three months or so, skipped the islands altogether and just went to the Keys for a two week-ish vacation. I told Ann there was no way I could be a productive member of society while on Island or Conch time.

Angus, if you own the boat outright, the only way you can get a tax deduction is if you charter it. Perhaps you can try to set it up as a business address but everyone I know who has tried to deduct it's expenses like a home office has failed. If you have a note on it, you can quite easily take the mortgage and property tax deduction as a first or second home, it just has to have a galley, heads and sleeping quarters.

So like many things in boating it is a personal thing as to how doable it is, and it is also dependent on what kind of work you do. We had the perfect boat for it, and when we swallowed the anchor, so to speak, lived and worked from it full time quite easily.
The picture of your cabin is beautiful. My husband and I are looking at boats for live aboard.
We started with sailboats, but found Trawlers have more room inside.
Any advice you can give would be most helpful. We are new at this and are currently looking now.
Thanks,
katsailing
katsailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 08:26 AM   #32
Veteran Member

City: NC-Fl
Vessel Name: Blue Bayou
Vessel Model: Hatteras 43 MY
My wife and I work up and down the East Coast at Nuclear power plants. Our 43 MY is the perfect size. Not too big and not too small. We love the sundeck and the outside furniture that we can chill out even when its raining. We work 12 hrs/day mostly night shift so the Hatt is thick and very quite during the day while sleeping at the marina. I did stay in one place for 3 years in NC and was glad I bought a MY. MY's have more room inside room than trawlers, but if I could do long range traveling I would have a single engine trawler. Living in marinas has been great. Deep point marina in Southport, NC has a pool and free laundry. We used to have outdoor jam sessions with local musicians (boaters). Its a great life. Hopefully you can find a livaboard friendly marina and find many other livaboards and have a great time. Most people in our marinas always met on various boats at 5:00pm. Cocktail hour !!

Magnawake is offline   Reply With Quote