Old 08-12-2018, 02:16 AM   #1

City: Seabrook
Vessel Name: Final Choice
Vessel Model: 1996 Mainship 37 M/Y
What in sam hell have I done?

I don't even know where to start, except to say that I've tried to go to sleep now for three hours and I can't. For at least two years now I've dreamed of living on a boat. Waking up on Sunday morning, having coffee on the back deck, enjoying the squawks of the night herons as they wake up, maybe throwing off the lines and enjoying a weekend cruise or just a sunset run up and down the lake. Except that time has come and now I'm wondering if I (we) made the right decision.

It took me a year to learn, but I knew everything, I mean EVERYTHING about my very simple 51 year old Chris Craft. There wasn't a wire I hadn't identified, a system I couldn't tell you every part of, and when something didn't sound right, I knew exactly what it was. But today I realized that I'm back at square one and this new boat scares me.

The shear amount of systems on it is just overwhelming. A/C systems, D/C systems, the actual AC's - as in plural, the holding tank systems, the fresh water systems, and the wires - OMG the wires. There must be 167 miles of wires in the boat. And todays little hiccup with the shifter didn't help things. Luckily I had dealt with enough things on my Chris Craft that I didn't get to excited and was able to fix it - but it is a little unnerving when you put your shifter in forward and your boat goes in reverse instead.

And then there's the creature comforts. When we moved out of our sticks and bricks house and into our RV, it was a culture shock, but in retrospect I was never as apprehensive about that, as I am about living aboard. I mean the worse thing about the RV is that you have to go outside and empty the poop tank once a week, which isn't a big deal. Now I have strainers to check every week, engines to run regularly, fluids to check, sumps to clean out, water tanks to fill, electronics to keep up with, decks to maintain, and any number of other things that are sure to go wrong because after all its a boat.

I suppose that I'm rambling because I have an over active imagination, and the combination of excitement and anxiety is making my thoughts run wild and keeping me from relaxing, let alone sleeping. I keep going though the what if's of everything on that boat and if I'll be able to handle everything.

I don't expect a reply but words of encouragement wouldn't be disregarded either, especially if you felt this way before moving aboard.

Now for some xanax.

btw... this is the boat.

toocoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 02:48 AM   #2
Guru

City: Seaford Va on Poquoson River, VA
Vessel Name: Old Glory
Vessel Model: 1970 Egg Harbor 37 extended salon model
The sheer amount of systems on the 96 Mainship will also be overwhelming.
What will you do with your 50 yr old boat?
I see people trade up and the old boat sits on the hard a long time cause no one will buy it.

sdowney717 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 03:05 AM   #3
Guru

Congrats on the new boat,and from memory you already sold the previous one.
We moved from a simple and single engine boat to a way more complex one. Take it slowly,you don`t need to get to grips with every system from day 1, work your way through it. You soon get familiar with the areas that give trouble,like the gear shifters. They are just different systems, and there are more of them. Hyperventilation and xanax won`t help one bit.
Remember you bought it for boating and living fun,and start enjoying it, no reason to feel overwhelmed. Looks like a pristine boat, and a great 1 bedroom apartment. Enjoy.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 03:13 AM   #4
Guru

City: Boston Area
You were able to go from no boat, to the Chris Craft and survived it. Sure, this boat is more complicated but you are more knowledgable. Plus this one is 30 years newer. You'll learn in due time. You'll make some mistakes, you'll have to hire out some jobs you might have done on the CC, but you'll get there.

Nice looking boat by the way!!
Benthic2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 07:23 AM   #5
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Old 08-12-2018, 08:06 AM   #6
Guru

City: st pete
Vessel Model: 400 Mainship
Toocoys,

There's just NOT that much difference. They both have a hull, electrical system, motors, radios, and perhaps a gen.... and some other small stuff. Just a bit different.

You'll never master it (don't believe you mastered the previous one), but you'll get to the same comfort level where you know what it can do, not do, limits, capabilities, etc.

That boat has some NICE features! Walk thru helm, large state room, large salon, wall around rails. I saw one doing the loop and followed him for a bit. You'll enjoy it!

Take one step at a time but start having fun right away!

One thing that I did that helped.... hired an expert for the different systems...... Got an electrician to install the inverter and we went over the whole electrical. Got and engine and gen guy and went over them, doing all the basic service stuff with me and it was easy. Got a radio guy to install the AP and went over the electronics with me.... etc. And overall, it was quite reasonable for what I learned.
Old 08-12-2018, 08:25 AM   #7
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in Crisfield, MD
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Stop worrying. You will have plenty of time to learn each system after it quits working.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 08:40 AM   #8
Guru

City: Maryland
Vessel Model: 42' Sportfish
Quote:
Originally Posted by toocoys View Post
I don't expect a reply but words of encouragement wouldn't be disregarded either, especially if you felt this way before moving aboard.

Not to worry; chill.

More systems, but mostly not dramatically different from what you're used to.

And the mental exercise will keep you young.

There's a Mainship group here, and I understand there's one on Yahoo. Owners' clubs can be invaluable resources, especially for boats built on a previous company's watch.

Congratulations!

-Chris
Old 08-12-2018, 08:45 AM   #9
Guru

City: Solomons Island Md
Vessel Name: Fryedaze
Vessel Model: MC 42 (Overseas Co) Monk 42
You can loose and probably do without 90% of the systems on a boat. Plenty of time to learn and repair, on your schedule. In most cases if it breaks, no one gets hurt and life goes on.Thats the way I slow those gears in my head that would create stress from worrying. Whats the worse that could happen.
fryedaze is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 09:32 AM   #10
FF
Guru

Happily every system does not fail at the same time.

Be sure the bilge pumping system and sinking alarm are functioning and sleep well.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 09:38 AM   #11
Veteran Member

City: Vancouver, WA
Vessel Name: Matilda
Vessel Model: Ponderosa (CHB) 35' Sundeck
Iím not a live-aboard (yet), but Iíve been doing a lot of studying and trial runs. One thing that all the successful cruisers seem to have in common is they see all those challenges as part of whatís good about owning a boat. Yes itís a lot of work, but if you can put yourself in a frame of mind where you view that work as the good stuff, then it becomes joy.

One more tip: get off this screen at night. Nothing messes up your body clock more than staring at blue light when youíre tired.
schrater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 09:53 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdowney717 View Post
The sheer amount of systems on the 96 Mainship will also be overwhelming.
What will you do with your 50 yr old boat?
I see people trade up and the old boat sits on the hard a long time cause no one will buy it.
Itís already sold.
Old 08-12-2018, 09:58 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by schrater View Post

One more tip: get off this screen at night. Nothing messes up your body clock more than staring at blue light when youíre tired.
I work straight nights from 6p-6a at the police Dept so Iím used to being up. The screen has nothing to do with it. Lol
Old 08-12-2018, 10:10 AM   #14
Veteran Member

City: Vancouver, WA
Vessel Name: Matilda
Vessel Model: Ponderosa (CHB) 35' Sundeck
Quote:
Originally Posted by toocoys View Post
I work straight nights from 6p-6a at the police Dept so Iím used to being up. The screen has nothing to do with it. Lol

Not making any judgements about lifestyle or schedule or anything else. Iím just saying that IF youíre trying to fall asleep, and canít, itís been proven by many studies that just about the worst thing you can do is go online. Laying in the dark or reading a book are much more effective at bringing sleep. If thatís not helpful, then feel free to disregard.
schrater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 10:32 AM   #15
Guru

City: NARBONNE
Vessel Name: 'Snow Mouse.'
Vessel Model: BROOM FLYBRIDGE 42.
Congratulations on your new boat.
Take it easy and start with a daily check list as you check off oil, water, filters etc you will absorb what you see around the engine room and spot anything out of the ordinary.
You will get to know the rest of the systems as time goes by.
The hardest part on newer boats is getting access to places, the old time boat builders built in service ability, newer models are often difficult to access as they're built using modular systems.
Stop worrying, go cruising and enjoy your lovely new boat.
We wish you fair winds and safe harbours.
Irish Rambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 11:39 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Rambler View Post
The hardest part on newer boats is getting access to places, the old time boat builders built in service ability, newer models are often difficult to access as they're built using modular systems.
L
Ainít that the truth! There enough room for me to place about three fingers between the tops of the engines and the roof of the engine space - because it sure isnít an engine ďroomĒ.
Old 08-12-2018, 11:44 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by schrater View Post
Not making any judgements about lifestyle or schedule or anything else. Iím just saying that IF youíre trying to fall asleep, and canít, itís been proven by many studies that just about the worst thing you can do is go online. Laying in the dark or reading a book are much more effective at bringing sleep. If thatís not helpful, then feel free to disregard.
Oh I know you werenít, I was just commenting.

I ended up putting on ambient music in my headphones, cranked up my CPAP machine and fell asleep around 330am.

This morning Iím unloading our first load of belongings on the boat.

Still nervous but feeling a little more excited. Iím not evening opening an engine hatch yet though. That will come in time.
Old 08-12-2018, 12:13 PM   #18
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Toocoys, you are making a big step. Any big change, even a very good change, creates stress and anxiety. This too shall pass. Yeah, and the whole issue with the shifter sure didnít help calm any of that.

You will do fine. I felt completely overwhelmed when I first took possession of my boat. I was only transitioning from a 40í sailboat to a 43 power boat. Even with that, the increase in the complexity of the system had my head spinning. Now, 2 1/2 years later, I certainly donít understand it all, but Iím slowly getting there. You are so much better equipped than I was.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 12:22 PM   #19
Guru

City: Oneida Lake, NY
Vessel Name: Radio Flyer
Vessel Model: Wilderness Systems Aspire 105
Of course you're anxious, you're moving house! I would be too. Give it time. You'll get comfy before you know it.
Old 08-12-2018, 12:39 PM   #20
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
OK, OK - I just gotta tell ya - Good ins first... then sink it - Saves years of troubles!

Now that I said that sick joke: CONGRATS!!

Enjoy "learning" your new baby!!

Art is online now   Reply With Quote