What in sam hell have I done?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

toocoys

Guru
I don't even know where to start, except to say that I've tried to go to sleep now for three hours and I can't. For at least two years now I've dreamed of living on a boat. Waking up on Sunday morning, having coffee on the back deck, enjoying the squawks of the night herons as they wake up, maybe throwing off the lines and enjoying a weekend cruise or just a sunset run up and down the lake. Except that time has come and now I'm wondering if I (we) made the right decision.

It took me a year to learn, but I knew everything, I mean EVERYTHING about my very simple 51 year old Chris Craft. There wasn't a wire I hadn't identified, a system I couldn't tell you every part of, and when something didn't sound right, I knew exactly what it was. But today I realized that I'm back at square one and this new boat scares me.

The shear amount of systems on it is just overwhelming. A/C systems, D/C systems, the actual AC's - as in plural, the holding tank systems, the fresh water systems, and the wires - OMG the wires. There must be 167 miles of wires in the boat. And todays little hiccup with the shifter didn't help things. Luckily I had dealt with enough things on my Chris Craft that I didn't get to excited and was able to fix it - but it is a little unnerving when you put your shifter in forward and your boat goes in reverse instead.

And then there's the creature comforts. When we moved out of our sticks and bricks house and into our RV, it was a culture shock, but in retrospect I was never as apprehensive about that, as I am about living aboard. I mean the worse thing about the RV is that you have to go outside and empty the poop tank once a week, which isn't a big deal. Now I have strainers to check every week, engines to run regularly, fluids to check, sumps to clean out, water tanks to fill, electronics to keep up with, decks to maintain, and any number of other things that are sure to go wrong because after all its a boat.

I suppose that I'm rambling because I have an over active imagination, and the combination of excitement and anxiety is making my thoughts run wild and keeping me from relaxing, let alone sleeping. I keep going though the what if's of everything on that boat and if I'll be able to handle everything.

I don't expect a reply but words of encouragement wouldn't be disregarded either, especially if you felt this way before moving aboard.

Now for some xanax.

btw... this is the boat.

The sheer amount of systems on the 96 Mainship will also be overwhelming.
What will you do with your 50 yr old boat?
I see people trade up and the old boat sits on the hard a long time cause no one will buy it.

Congrats on the new boat,and from memory you already sold the previous one.
We moved from a simple and single engine boat to a way more complex one. Take it slowly,you don`t need to get to grips with every system from day 1, work your way through it. You soon get familiar with the areas that give trouble,like the gear shifters. They are just different systems, and there are more of them. Hyperventilation and xanax won`t help one bit.
Remember you bought it for boating and living fun,and start enjoying it, no reason to feel overwhelmed. Looks like a pristine boat, and a great 1 bedroom apartment. Enjoy.

You were able to go from no boat, to the Chris Craft and survived it. Sure, this boat is more complicated but you are more knowledgable. Plus this one is 30 years newer. You'll learn in due time. You'll make some mistakes, you'll have to hire out some jobs you might have done on the CC, but you'll get there.

Nice looking boat by the way!!

200w.gif

Toocoys,

There's just NOT that much difference. They both have a hull, electrical system, motors, radios, and perhaps a gen.... and some other small stuff. Just a bit different.

You'll never master it (don't believe you mastered the previous one), but you'll get to the same comfort level where you know what it can do, not do, limits, capabilities, etc.

That boat has some NICE features! Walk thru helm, large state room, large salon, wall around rails. I saw one doing the loop and followed him for a bit. You'll enjoy it!

Take one step at a time but start having fun right away!

One thing that I did that helped.... hired an expert for the different systems...... Got an electrician to install the inverter and we went over the whole electrical. Got and engine and gen guy and went over them, doing all the basic service stuff with me and it was easy. Got a radio guy to install the AP and went over the electronics with me.... etc. And overall, it was quite reasonable for what I learned.

Stop worrying. You will have plenty of time to learn each system after it quits working. :rolleyes:

Ted

I don't expect a reply but words of encouragement wouldn't be disregarded either, especially if you felt this way before moving aboard.

Not to worry; chill.

More systems, but mostly not dramatically different from what you're used to.

And the mental exercise will keep you young. :)

There's a Mainship group here, and I understand there's one on Yahoo. Owners' clubs can be invaluable resources, especially for boats built on a previous company's watch.

Congratulations!

-Chris

You can loose and probably do without 90% of the systems on a boat. Plenty of time to learn and repair, on your schedule. In most cases if it breaks, no one gets hurt and life goes on.Thats the way I slow those gears in my head that would create stress from worrying. Whats the worse that could happen.

Happily every system does not fail at the same time.

Be sure the bilge pumping system and sinking alarm are functioning and sleep well.

I’m not a live-aboard (yet), but I’ve been doing a lot of studying and trial runs. One thing that all the successful cruisers seem to have in common is they see all those challenges as part of what’s good about owning a boat. Yes it’s a lot of work, but if you can put yourself in a frame of mind where you view that work as the good stuff, then it becomes joy.

One more tip: get off this screen at night. Nothing messes up your body clock more than staring at blue light when you’re tired.

One more tip: get off this screen at night. Nothing messes up your body clock more than staring at blue light when you’re tired.

I work straight nights from 6p-6a at the police Dept so I’m used to being up. The screen has nothing to do with it. Lol

I work straight nights from 6p-6a at the police Dept so I’m used to being up. The screen has nothing to do with it. Lol

Not making any judgements about lifestyle or schedule or anything else. I’m just saying that IF you’re trying to fall asleep, and can’t, it’s been proven by many studies that just about the worst thing you can do is go online. Laying in the dark or reading a book are much more effective at bringing sleep. If that’s not helpful, then feel free to disregard.

Congratulations on your new boat.
Take it easy and start with a daily check list as you check off oil, water, filters etc you will absorb what you see around the engine room and spot anything out of the ordinary.
You will get to know the rest of the systems as time goes by.
The hardest part on newer boats is getting access to places, the old time boat builders built in service ability, newer models are often difficult to access as they're built using modular systems.
Stop worrying, go cruising and enjoy your lovely new boat.
We wish you fair winds and safe harbours.

The hardest part on newer boats is getting access to places, the old time boat builders built in service ability, newer models are often difficult to access as they're built using modular systems.
L

Ain’t that the truth! There enough room for me to place about three fingers between the tops of the engines and the roof of the engine space - because it sure isn’t an engine “room”.

Not making any judgements about lifestyle or schedule or anything else. I’m just saying that IF you’re trying to fall asleep, and can’t, it’s been proven by many studies that just about the worst thing you can do is go online. Laying in the dark or reading a book are much more effective at bringing sleep. If that’s not helpful, then feel free to disregard.

Oh I know you weren’t, I was just commenting.

I ended up putting on ambient music in my headphones, cranked up my CPAP machine and fell asleep around 330am.

This morning I’m unloading our first load of belongings on the boat.

Still nervous but feeling a little more excited. I’m not evening opening an engine hatch yet though. That will come in time.

Toocoys, you are making a big step. Any big change, even a very good change, creates stress and anxiety. This too shall pass. Yeah, and the whole issue with the shifter sure didn’t help calm any of that.

You will do fine. I felt completely overwhelmed when I first took possession of my boat. I was only transitioning from a 40’ sailboat to a 43 power boat. Even with that, the increase in the complexity of the system had my head spinning. Now, 2 1/2 years later, I certainly don’t understand it all, but I’m slowly getting there. You are so much better equipped than I was.

Of course you're anxious, you're moving house! I would be too. Give it time. You'll get comfy before you know it.

OK, OK - I just gotta tell ya - Good ins first... then sink it - Saves years of troubles! :eek: :nonono:

Now that I said that sick joke: CONGRATS!! :thumb:

Enjoy "learning" your new baby!! :popcorn: :socool: :speed boat:

Y’all... this thing has an on demand water heater!

I crawled in a hole. Couldn’t stand it.

On demand water heater is great. Only use power when you need water. OTOH, you don’t get hot water simply when the engine is running...

Wifey B: I find it hilarious that you now think of the Chris Craft as so simple...after it took you a year to learn it. Think back to day one. Yes, you're there again, but you'll be amazed how the year of learning the other boat helps. Might just take you nine months this time. Then six the next time. The Chris Craft was the huge scary step. Now this one is a small easy move because you've already been through learning a new boat.

I remember going from lake to ocean. At first it felt like I know nothing, but then I realized how much I did know from the lake. I didn't know using a chart, because didn't require one on the lake. However, all the other people worried about docking and that came to me with no effort. Docking a 30' bowrider or a 60' performance boat, no real difference except thrusters to help and didn't have them before.

Now, the teacher in me comes out. Also being a learner. I find learning new things to be invigorating and inspiring and some of the greatest pleasure of it all. We all need to be lifetime learners. Sometimes our jobs become routine or our lives do. That's when it's time for something new, whether on the job or as a hobby. Embrace the challenge. Oh, and the next boat, you'll then look back on the Mainship as being so simple. :D

Ain’t that the truth! There enough room for me to place about three fingers between the tops of the engines and the roof of the engine space - because it sure isn’t an engine “room”.

Probably there are liftable hatches over the engines... even if maybe covered over by carpet...

-Chris

You are not alone. Very similar feelings having gone from a simple 26’ to a 39’ trawler. One thing that might help is put your projects on paper or a spreadsheet and prioritize and schedule what to do first. My previous occupation was as a project manager involved with multi year and multi millions of $$$. First thing we did was have a plan and schedule. Kept everything in order instead of trying to remember what’s next. It’s very satisfying and motivating when you cross off a item and see what is next on the list.
Good luck and keep searching this forum for help.

You are not alone. Very similar feelings having gone from a simple 26’ to a 39’ trawler. One thing that might help is put your projects on paper or a spreadsheet and prioritize and schedule what to do first. My previous occupation was as a project manager involved with multi year and multi millions of $$$. First thing we did was have a plan and schedule. Kept everything in order instead of trying to remember what’s next. It’s very satisfying and motivating when you cross off a item and see what is next on the list.
Good luck and keep searching this forum for help.

A list is on my list of things to do! Lol

Thankfully this boat was owned by someone who cared for it greatly. Though she didn’t do any of her maintenance, she’s had a yacht service do bi-weekly maintenance and checks on all the systems. I have a folder full of detailed inventory of things they’ve repaired, adjusted, or installed since 2016.

I’m going to have them out once or twice more to have them show me what they’ve done and where everything is located and then I’ll discontinue their service since I’ll be maintaining it.

I feel a lot better today. I sat on the boat alone for a while today and crawled in a few holes to check things out. There’s way more wire and hoses and such but I feel better about identifying them all in time.

I think the initial shock just kicked in yesterday. It was all fun and games before, now it’s real!

toocoys, you'll be fine. Already did all this once. Experience is a great teacher.

We did the exact same thing last year. 1983 Chris Craft Catalina to a 85 Mainship Trawler.
Bigger boat, more systems. Slowly working to make her ours... Electronics, added a water tank. figuring out what goes where...What works, what doesn't. Why there are so many snipped off wires everywhere.. The usual....

It's going to be a great boat...Next year !!!

toocoys, you'll be fine. Already did all this once. Experience is a great teacher.

We did the exact same thing last year. 1983 Chris Craft Catalina to a 85 Mainship Trawler.
Bigger boat, more systems. Slowly working to make her ours... Electronics, added a water tank. figuring out what goes where...What works, what doesn't. Why there are so many snipped off wires everywhere.. The usual....

It's going to be a great boat...Next year !!!

This Mainship is a very comfortable boat.

But I envision myself on an older Taiwanese made trawler. Something around 40-50 feet with lots of wood and a couple Lehman 120’s.

The likelihood of that actually happening is slim to none because the Mainship is more of the significant others style.

Comfort counts !! And when the SO is happy everybody is happy !!!
I'm all for the smallest boat that works for the way you use it.
Everybody has boat envy but bigger isn't always better.. Usually just more work.
I think more bigger boats are sold on the idea that maybe the grandkids will visit, or it'd be nice to invite friends to overnight, or maybe a long trip, then what we use them for 95 % of the time..
Still whatever floats YOUR boat is good !!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom