What in sam hell have I done?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
This has been driving me crazy every time I see the topic for this thread since the first post it appeared on the forum: It's NOT "Sam Hell," it's "Sam HILL!"

No one knows its origin for certain...this Wikipedia article lists all the likely sources:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sam_Hill_(euphemism)

Whew...I feel much better having gotten that off my chest! I now return the discussion to the topic at hand.

-Peggie
"If you can't explain it to a six year old, you don't completely understand it yourself." --Albert Einstein

I hope one day soon I can say the same thing.

Yes there are holes, no it’s not smellable at the time. It was when we opened the hatches. I have them plugged with rags right now.

There’s just a few things we need to get worked out first, mostly just the holding tank right now. Everything else is functional. Oh I need a sump pump for the aft shower as well.
Sorry if I may look dumb stupid or anything else but this does not make any sense for me. You are expecting to enjoy your time on a boat that has an holding tank with holes plugged with rags...
Would you sleep in an hotel room if your host tells you that your bed will stand over an opened sump but don't worry we plugged it with some rags??????
Am I the only one that think this is just insane?

I think this whole thread is just a joke isn't it ?

L

Last edited:
This has been driving me crazy every time I see the topic for this thread since the first post it appeared on the forum: It's NOT "Sam Hell," it's "Sam HILL!"

No one knows its origin for certain...this Wikipedia article lists all the likely sources:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sam_Hill_(euphemism)

Whew...I feel much better having gotten that off my chest! I now return the discussion to the topic at hand.

-Peggie
"If you can't explain it to a six year old, you don't completely understand it yourself." --Albert Einstein

Glad you feel better.

Sorry if I may look dumb stupid or anything else but this does not make any sense for me. You are expecting to enjoy your time on a boat that has an holding tank with holes plugged with rags...
Would you sleep in an hotel room if your host tells you that your bed will stand over an opened sump but don't worry we plugged it with some rags??????
Am I the only one that think this is just insane?

I think this whole thread is just a joke isn't it ?

L

You may think what you want but it isn’t a joke. We are living on this boat, which aside from a few issues is a fairly nice boat. But this is a big change for us, just like moving into the RV was a big change for us. You may all form your own opinions but I’m not looking to be flamed, discouraged, or otherwise assaulted for trying a new experience no matter what anyone thinks.

When we moved into the RV the ceiling leaked and the water heater blew up and now it’s in the shop for a sagging floor...and it was bought brand spanking new.

We are trying to remain positive, take it in stride, and deal with issues now so that hopefully we will settle in in a few weeks. When I started the thread I was hoping to hear everyone else’s experiences, especially those with experiences like us - getting over the initial shock of new things and new ways of living.

Well tomorrow makes a week on board. So far we haven’t actually had a day off together to enjoy things. Today started out fighting the overflowing toilet, thankfully I have a wet dry vac otherwise I don’t know what’s i would have done. Then I had to move the RV to the shop, sell the golf cart, and get back to the boat for first mate checks from the marine company. I learned where everything was and what I needed to check weekly. After they left I started getting HPF warnings on my AC and the boat quickly soared to 88/89 degrees with just one ac working. Did some research and went to Home Depot for a barb and blew out the lines with the garden hose. Seemed to solve the issue but were only just now back down to 80 degrees, still cooling. It’s been a rough day.

Right now I’m having a hard time enjoying things and can’t wait for Saturday so I can just sit, relax, and have a glass of wine on deck.

Oh we also discovered that the holding tank looks like Swiss cheese. There are 2 to 3 inch holes around the sending unit for the gauge. Repair guys coming out tomorrow to see if it can be patch welded or if we’ll have to replace it with a poly tank.

I’m still not sure we’re cut out for this. We may just be “condo on the water, small weekend trawler” people. I guess time will tell.

Silver lining is that we aren’t tied down to this boat in debt.

ETA... I also sold the dinghy last night. Poor Willy didn’t last long.

You have a perfect situation. You are living on a boat without a huge financial commitment. You are living on an old boat with plenty of issues so you have the opportunity to see what the experience of living while repairing is really like.

What you may be finding out is that if/when you buy a boat, you will want to buy one that has fewer immediate problems so you can deal with them a few at a time instead of all at once.

Why did you get rid of Willy?

I guess I should probably list some positives that I’ve discovered instead of just complaining...

- sitting on the back deck enjoying the breeze
- the relaxing small movements or rocking of the boat
- walking the dog along the banks
- watching all the wildlife like birds and fish
- the traffic free quietness of the docks
- the neighbors are really cool
- the marina pool
- the exercise I’ve been getting and workouts I will start at the marina gym
- coffee on the back deck at sunrise
- the really luxurious mattress in the master stateroom
- the green space and gazebos that we have where you can and sit back and watch boats go by

And I’m sure there’s a few I’ve missed...

Why did you get rid of Willy?

He was too small, too slow, and too uncomfortable. If this pans out into a longer stay, we’ll look for an 11’ Whaler of something similar.

I also realized I got a little ahead of myself and made hasty financial decisions. We’d like to sit on our exponentially growing savings right now and make better educated decisions after we’ve done this a few months.

Between the sell of the Chris Craft, the golf cart and a few other things we’ve been able to increase our liquid assets quite a bit lately.

Last edited:
Oh we also discovered that the holding tank looks like Swiss cheese. There are 2 to 3 inch holes around the sending unit for the gauge. Repair guys coming out tomorrow to see if it can be patch welded or if we’ll have to replace it with a poly tank.

If it's a metal tank, don't even try to weld or patch it..'cuz the first leak is always only the FIRST leak...doesn't matter whether the tank is aluminum or even 316 SS. Most boat builders installed aluminum tanks when it became necessary in the early '80s. By the early '90s, it had become obvious that even stainless steel is a bad choice because urine is so corrosive that it typically eats through a weld in a seam or fitting in an average of about 5 years and turns the tank bottom into a colander in about 10 years.

Ronco Plastics Ronco Plastics marine Tanks (no relation to the VegoMatic Ronco) is your best source for a tank. They make TOP quality thick-walled water and waste tanks for a very reasonable price and have more than 400 shapes and sizes, over 100 of which are non-rectangular, and they install fittings in the sizes and locations specified by the customer when they make the tank.
You'll almost certainly need to replace the sanitation hoses...and maybe the toilet too, depending on its make/model/age. And a tank level indicator. The Profile gauges Profile Tank Monitors are the best...the sender goes on the outside of the tank, so it never comes in contact with the contents and therefore cannot corrode or become clogged by the animal fats in waste.

You might consider checking out the link in my signature...just click on the title, which is a little misleading because although it does deal with every source of odor on a boat and how to eliminate 'em--better yet, prevent 'em--it's actually a comprehensive "marine sanitation systems 101" manual that can help you learn to prevent 90% of "head" aches 'cuz there's quite a bit of difference between RV and marine systems. And I'm always glad to answer any questions it doesn't.

--Peggie

Last edited:
Between the sell of the Chris Craft, the golf cart and a few other things we’ve been able to increase our liquid assets quite a bit lately.

Wifey B: I'm glad Peggie took care of Sam Hill as it drove us wild too. :)

Now, I have a question for thought. Is a boat a liquid asset?

If not a boat, how about water? :ermm:

I don't know if you follow Gone With the Wynns at all, but they were RV folk who made the switch to living aboard and full time cruising. They recently talked about the difference between the two, and came to the conclusion that they found cruising to be much more stressful. Check them out on YouTube if you haven't already.

I understand how others may be turned off by what they interpret as a bunch of complaining in this thread, but I don't see it that way. I see it as a refreshing shot of honesty. It's a 'warts and all' account of what's possible when you dive, face first, into being a liveaboard, without really knowing for sure if you're even going to like it. You may very well decide you don't like it. You took a risk, and you're still not sure whether it'll pay off or not. I think it's perfectly fair and reasonable to be a bit overwhelmed. Hell, you're only a week in, and you've been drinking from a fire hose the whole time. My head would be spinning too.

All in all, I think you're actually taking a very responsible and low risk gamble. You didn't sell all of your worldly possessions, quit your job, and bury yourself in debt to be where you are. A lot of people do. You're just renting, just trying it out. It's commitment free. I think that's pretty smart. You're doing this the right way.

Toocoys.
If you buy a second hand hand home (many times a new build too) you'll have to fix/repair things to reach a state that you're comfortable with before you can relax.
Just take it one stage at a time, plan your work so that if you have to strip for access you fix whatever problem absolutely perfectly, check everything else while you have access and repair as necessary.
At the moment it seems a big mountain to climb, just take one step at a time, you'll get there slowly then you'll be able to enjoy the benefit of the learning curve you're going through at the moment.
Then, like me, you can cruise gently by while those guys parked up in camper vans beside the water, sitting in a deckchair, bored out of their skull look jealously on.
Here on TF you're not alone, you have a wealth of information and back up to help you.
Have courage my friend.

Last edited:
IR puts it perfectly. It`s not a new boat, and it was disused or underused.
It`s normal to need replacements, things wear out, just like with the RV and the Chris Craft.
Take it slow and steady,no overexcited emotions. It may not be you,but try it. You are half way there by looking at the positives. Of course there is the risk of buyers(renters) remorse. It`s different to what you had, a "bed of roses" unrealistic expectation could be part of the "surprise".
If you eventually decide life aboard, in that boat, or any boat,is not for you so be it. But you are nowhere near that and you probably never will be.

I also realized I got a little ahead of myself and made hasty financial decisions. We’d like to sit on our exponentially growing savings right now and make better educated decisions after we’ve done this a few months.

Sounds like a very good idea.

Everything about a boat is fun and stress at same time. Comfort equipped pleasure boats are different than any other live-available-dwelling opportunity, in that... nothing else moves constantly like a boat [when its in the water - that is]. But, that unique feature is one of the biggest "draws" toward craving to be aboard a boat - IMHO!

Also, a really good ol' saying [goes something like this]: "While sitting in cockpit, doing nothing but enjoying drink of choice ,every portion of your boat is getting closer to needing attention or replacement" Now, that is a true statement!

Happy Boat Daze! - Art :speed boat: :dance:

Gone With the Wynns...were RV folk who made the switch to living aboard and full time cruising. They recently talked about the difference between the two, and came to the conclusion that they found cruising to be much more stressful.

Not surprising 'cuz RVs rarely sink if something springs a leak...they can pull off the road to change a flat tire or in the event of engine failure...They're never more than an hour or two of an RV park and with few exceptions, they're always within easy reach of provisions and water and can take shelter quickly in bad weather. They never have to battle tides and currents. Otoh boats are at the mercy of the elements and totally reliant on the crew's knowledge, skills and experience to stay afloat, often even IN sight of land.

And that's only a few of the differences.

--Peggie

Gone With the Wynns...were RV folk who made the switch to living aboard and full time cruising. They recently talked about the difference between the two, and came to the conclusion that they found cruising to be much more stressful.

Not surprising 'cuz RVs rarely sink if something springs a leak...they can pull off the road to change a flat tire or in the event of engine failure...They're never more than an hour or two of an RV park and with few exceptions, they're always within easy reach of provisions and water and can take shelter quickly in bad weather. They never have to battle tides and currents. Otoh boats are at the mercy of the elements and totally reliant on the crew's knowledge, skills and experience to stay afloat, often even IN sight of land.

And that's only a few of the differences.

--Peggie

Only steadfast similarity of boat to RV... I can see: Money paid at purchase and [hopefully] money received at sale! Heck - even your dreams become/are different!! :lol:

Wifey B: I find this a refreshingly honest thread by the OP. More important than being honest with us, he's being honest with himself. He's not "all in." I play a little poker and "all in" can win big but leaves you beyond the point of any return if you're wrong. He's not going to force himself to live on a boat if it doesn't suit him well. And more, he's not going to force himself to say it fits if it doesn't fit him. He's going to figure it all out over a little time. Boaters sometimes assume it's right for everyone and I'm sure RV'ers do the same. Fisherpersons think we all should enjoy holding a pole all day. Most people commit up front to a pursuit and then won't ever admit to themselves if they made a mistake. Same as him recognizing some hasty financial decisions. :)

Just don't paralyze yourself with over analysis. Experience it and then think about it after some time.

As a renter, would the owner of the boat be paying for the repairs? I am still in the market for a boat and I'm curious as to how a rental agreement work in case I decide to go that way initially as you did. Thanks

Depends what the rental agreement says.....

I'm kinda interested to learn what it costs in different regions to "rent" a boat as a fairly long term rental live aboard while docked... or otherwise in use.

In northern CA the up-front per berth cost for most marinas [that will even allow any live aboard arrangement - most won't] is in the $650 to $1000 range. Also, the marinas I hear of will only let the boat owner be the occupants.

Sooo... what is it costing in other areas and what are the "live aboard" boat rental rules in general for outside of northern CA marinas??

:popcorn:

I'm kinda interested to learn what it costs in different regions to "rent" a boat as a fairly long term rental live aboard while docked... or otherwise in use.

In northern CA the up-front per berth cost for most marinas [that will even allow any live aboard arrangement - most won't] is in the $650 to $1000 range. Also, the marinas I hear of will only let the boat owner be the occupants.

Sooo... what is it costing in other areas and what are the "live aboard" boat rental rules in general for outside of northern CA marinas??

:popcorn:

Rentals of boats are very much outside the norm. They face many challenges with the two biggest perhaps being insurance and dockage.

The first type rental you now see is the boating equivalent of AirBNB. 95% of those are probably against insurer's rules and marina's rules, just as AirBNB has often been against local rules or HOA rules and insurer's rules. That doesn't mean either is inherently wrong, but simply that they're relatively new approaches and adaptations will be required. Until then, many will be in violation of rules.

As to long term boat rental, I'm not familiar with any. I suspect the first response of insurer's and marina's would be a loud "no." However, if properly informed and familiar with those involved, then I think many would then make exceptions. On the other hand, I suspect there are some being done without anyone being notified.

Rentals of boats are very much outside the norm. They face many challenges with the two biggest perhaps being insurance and dockage.

The first type rental you now see is the boating equivalent of AirBNB. 95% of those are probably against insurer's rules and marina's rules, just as AirBNB has often been against local rules or HOA rules and insurer's rules. That doesn't mean either is inherently wrong, but simply that they're relatively new approaches and adaptations will be required. Until then, many will be in violation of rules.

As to long term boat rental, I'm not familiar with any. I suspect the first response of insurer's and marina's would be a loud "no." However, if properly informed and familiar with those involved, then I think many would then make exceptions. On the other hand, I suspect there are some being done without anyone being notified.

Re the above: As I see it... and agreed!

I did rent out a boat some years ago as a week day office for an individual. That worked out well for us both. And, it fit into general laws/conditions/ins needs for all concerned. Paid for my dock rent plus a bit more and had my boat every weekend for pleasure. :thumb:

I love win/wins!! :dance:

As a renter, would the owner of the boat be paying for the repairs? I am still in the market for a boat and I'm curious as to how a rental agreement work in case I decide to go that way initially as you did. Thanks

Not sure. The owner is a very close friend. We sat down over drinks and hammered out a business deal.

At the moment I’m taking care of small repairs etc. when we come to major repairs, as long as they aren’t caused by us, we’ll have to discuss it when it happens.

I can tell you that we agreed to pay the monthly insurance premium in addition to a monthly rental fee.

Not really. Look up boat rentals in places with high living costs like key west or Miami. Craigslist is full of boats for rent in those places.

ETA: also, the owner of this boat added me to her insurance so I’m listed as an operator so there weren’t any issues with the marina.

Yes, in some places you can rent a boat to live on. Sort of like an apartment. However, taking the boat out is not part of the deal and is usually not allowed (even if the boat is capable of it).

I felt the same way with both of my boats. My first boat was a 1998 Sea Ray Sundancer 290. I never felt I fully understood some of the systems on that boat or how to access things. My present boat that I bought in March is a 1974 Marine Trader Double Cabin 34, and like yours, has a lot more room to see where things are, where they go, see the wiring, etc. While I started overwhelmed, I have taken the time to learn the systems. I had to replace the heating element in my hot water heater and the water pump for my HVAC units. I have run a few wires for accessories I wanted to add and I added two heads including electric toilets, holding tanks for each, and the hoses. All of this was foreign to me but by doing one thing at a time, asking for help and advice from old salts at my marina and on here, and a lot of reading in forums like this, I am becoming more and more comfortable with my boat. I am considering taking a diesel maintenance and troubleshooting class at https://www.boatersuniversity.com/courses/marine-diesel-maintenance-troubleshooting . I really believe the key is to surround yourself with people that have the same passion for boating, learn from them as they learn from you, and take any courses or tutorials that you can. Take a deep breath, its all good!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom