What in sam hell have I done?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I feel so stupid. I went to bed last night thinking/stressing about trying to find the holding tank.

I had been accessing the engine hole by removing the small stairs to the aft cabin, and realized last night that I completely forgot that the floor on the salon completely lifts up allowing full access! I started laughing to myself!

:)

Yet another small step up the rungs of that learning curve.

-Chris

Relax

I understand what you’re going through, but relax. That’s the reason you moved aboard to begin with. I went from a 16’ Prindle to a 110’ Broward, I spent a month working with the former captain video taping his routine. Long story short, everything ended up being fine. If something went wrong I either asked someone with more experience or I googled it. I was able to fix a malfunctioning bow thruster, fix a leaking through hull fitting on one of my shafts etc. no issue can’t be fixed ... so sit back relax and enjoy your boat.

It's completely normal. I did the same thing when I got a divorce and had lived on my 57 ft Grand Banks for 15 years. I decided I couldn't bear to think of living on land so purchased my 50 ft Grand Banks 4 years ago. It was overwhelming, to say the least. Happy to say now, though, that I feel very comfortable working on it, fixing systems and cruising! Just back from two weeks on Santa Catalina Island. She and I are getting to know one another. I take care of her....she takes care of me! Keep calm and carry on!

Stop worrying. You will have plenty of time to learn each system after it quits working. :rolleyes:

Ted

The above is the best comment so far. ....LOL

I went from no boat for a year, a sailboat previously to a Mainship 34 in April. After getting it I discovered the packing box was leaking BIG TIME (80 gallons a day big time) But from previous experience I knew just tightening the gland would do the job.
It didnt. Then I discovered the bilge pump was not working in Auto mode so I had to go to the boat twice a day to pump it after I found the packing box nut was frozen until I would have time to fix it.
I had a hard time going to sleep at night and just repeated the mantra "It insured" over and over till I fell asleep.
Over the next 5 days the leak slowed down to just a drip every 5 seconds. That I could handle. I also found that the bilge pump switch was NOT LOGICAL. I expected it to be OFF-AUTO-FULL ON. It wasnt. It was AUTO-OFF-FULL ON. So when it was in what I thought should be AUTO it was actually in OFF. That fixed the leak quick.
There will be other things, but for now I can sleep without repeating, "Its insured".

The above is the best comment so far. ....LOL

I went from no boat for a year, a sailboat previously to a Mainship 34 in April. After getting it I discovered the packing box was leaking BIG TIME (80 gallons a day big time) But from previous experience I knew just tightening the gland would do the job.
It didnt. Then I discovered the bilge pump was not working in Auto mode so I had to go to the boat twice a day to pump it after I found the packing box nut was frozen until I would have time to fix it.
I had a hard time going to sleep at night and just repeated the mantra "It insured" over and over till I fell asleep.
Over the next 5 days the leak slowed down to just a drip every 5 seconds. That I could handle. I also found that the bilge pump switch was NOT LOGICAL. I expected it to be OFF-AUTO-FULL ON. It wasnt. It was AUTO-OFF-FULL ON. So when it was in what I thought should be AUTO it was actually in OFF. That fixed the leak quick.
There will be other things, but for now I can sleep without repeating, "Its insured".

I never understood why there is a off position on bilge pump switch. For me auto or forced on should be enough and less error prone.

L

Other than maybe two engines instead of one, buying tires, and the possibility it might sink, what's the big difference between a good sized RV and a similar sized boat?

For those of you worrying about those intricate and expensive systems on a trawler or RV, let me offer this after moving away from a 35' trawler.

I now have ALL the comforts the trawler offered with way less than 10% of the outlay not to mention negligible worry and responsibility. Don't get me wrong - my trawler was a beauty and even earned her keep by being in charter service, but she was too limiting and complicated.
TKccBSusgBXmxtQxfh5zDl3_FIHSVQ-acAIwtdRClpM6OQP_1W5-5kFWd6MOSyR5ZXsa3fLKafpn8OpcerJkNwmK2G4QapuLmGOl9YceYz4Z3IZBgfIkkwwVDx5-6uLvKyCbUyn4S16ODwunN5SfI5foZE4ujEv4TIE1fEz1A0HQNmve7Znv8o9tmVdcOik5sEl_YABaDjqbHzuqnlicnPz83fgQ4-9vdDL2YVKBFkOOXEvdD_RxMXBUUyHauLIU8hzXuFISazyi2PYF1sWk28c0E2ZmuHazri4fx9xOpKPI4zstKS2iWh94rYi7cdgQgKmFxNHS0eJ-_1Mdf5DSe9K4CPvNM-PuGeaynNpZyIEIiCWqbBiMq2Yu3_aS8YEZ-QORTMUahZeq4-VTatSqOxgZmxOQwWIa-W_a8b8h4P_Qm33HHFwWAY54XB6o7pLtNjHvnLPeAcjn8MoPV-ANLPKSxpb3kCEsjkFfZf-PjtI7YBZJjMMMfZhXFfGXnl2Yp6PBC9UW41XUIKRsgXHk_NxtIrdDiJmJXQdJVYE1tQckuDajRYI4HjzykUzVq9DfL8eR84q3sYfbFOgSXOQ5vPqdE1DeRFb_X4P8xFDJ=w340-h207-no

How did life on the water get so uncomplicated and easily affordable? By combining the RV and the trawler into a 28' trailerable houseboat. She won't impress her campground or slip neighbors but we don't care. She sleeps 7, has a full double sink galley - 4 burner stove and full size oven, generator, air conditioning, hot water stand-up shower, extremely simple gravity head, freezer, and is powered by a small block Chevy whose parts are available on almost every corner.

Here we are on our second trip to Lake Powell from SC (4,000 miles r/t)
pqYj_3aT7n6FInLQNrf1RyGE7O2cTo_47k5-rxm9GIaHnv-Hv_dRhzJDpZ2nILxrGSCN4Bn2C3WL5MRsOivolj2brgSiZMwGN83gaT-5OGRJGYCN1o3WfzIA0Iu335FHCTPj3nWTmFEtMsjS86xkSu4pXBMHUntc3Wmak0ZeBcOAh9RB3j1xorJZ2ctt94a0XF-gHl8IxenRwnlqvnMb0YlcTkfkStFpDyIQ_uOsTwXjejPgNwMKUODHQ9NEOVAKnG2OD8XIUwLZc_8Jsu5x0pUAjD3IQI06m65EGyR5Wu8-BEP3PsMILhXuo4pD1W0IIFRMW2ka56GjdRf-HT0JgAurBtxYtJZfQbn-aRgYlWeBVF9QnOwe65IYP9HwtSIGmkgm7k79ziU3kr0y4RZ_tSLziXA7xiQkbQZ8ffXUSV46Q-Xj_bahMImKLNfDhxX_0S7kKr-jWbIHZpT2-c8qzOjgsE_jn1J5IViSu2O4VuTXWvtFaVrwttKQ5sTyHFLTiERP0YOyYeMu4sNdgC69qGZEvad0ujmC8x8_Qffj66ZP9radDH--ScGOEf7Mr3C4Sme6qAvOWxpo_ozoZNyIDxXXPC_WOVFbpZtafaC9qEikmJlHQ7xWzoyDq9nQNrse_pXjRZuRAJfa5PnnvI1sFB-UZ23zEw0ptQ=w1267-h714-no

And here we are enjoying the destination.
cgyBdU4HWRWkhCh5DijwBnXkkAax_6mJogyKf-EO16fajMFuaVtpqbLQnH55OTgbhI-QM-ZFLRWR_awNDAVyabcqBGxop_JQHoteIKSKIZClHTIwW_nMF4d0JmtcbCkTkUJO4ffAZGiNI0C6u-DbybJdg-KVZym29tmrqeHIVjJcjhuaMdtcJQspTX7IaF_qbWlZoVIzRGpTuNvkgbPfjguDn64y2mGDj2y-pl0iKr1wzVC01pX0r8GGAw6uHmmA_D3WJGpsPvKNWRinK0nU-O_iC8QUTlvwTHKvz8EJjbX5k9G6sIZlvB_474mlz11_e7SApCMbK1n1-iyXhv4dTPh9qCQy9g_Njmmm_vSd-MMD429ImvyLqYSBiql3186Ry_Q3loH0LWolc4mNDTm27r5GD53J6zjOtyFKUyMDHReNo6PH4UZW4Xw4ijT74xAFYV010n_9uF1FpwSK5-2DKkHqSObp4T9uAu9bL1Tl0wJvLNUgyjUyAZNr0ryIN-itfp6O1L6S1B2Om4ykQNt44XT6LNYSUw4EHSaUA-q9xF_xgdtGNEXJoq39O10yJzifu7Bof0msfSizvNTlGdHP0ZDoZoCuc11n5r_JI1Tk=w1267-h714-no

So....if you're dying to get aboard in simple comfort without a lot of money or worry on a boat you can also use as an RV, then you might consider a houseboat. Big Duck is a 1972 Land n Sea - 28x8, draws a little over 2 feet and needs 12' of air draft on the road.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Hey Peggy - it's been quite a while...

Great looking boat. I am just starting my search. My house is just up the road a bit from you. Perhaps I will see you as I start my shopping.

I never understood why there is a off position on bilge pump switch. For me auto or forced on should be enough and less error prone.

L

AMEN, in fact I am thinking of rewiring mine that way. I was once told, "Its because you might want to turn it of when on the hard." WHY? you still want to bail any rain water that gets in.
Just use a proper fuse AND an alarm if the fuse fails. A low current alarm wired across the fuse so that an open fuse sets off the alarm will work perfectly. Then you know if you are without a pump.

Yet another small step up the rungs of that learning curve.

-Chris

Sounds like a BIG step to me. Of course, that is only if you also forget to close the hatches when done and then fall in. Don't laugh... has happened, to more than one boat owner:popcorn:

1. Make a list down the left side of a page or pages, of all the things you need to check. Add items tomthe list as youmremember them.

2. Now write, daily, weekly, monthly or annually next to each item.

3. Plan to check one item every day and I bet you have way less than 365 items to check, with many taking only minutes.

This is called compartmentalizing. It is a great help when our brain starts going into over drive, especially the 3am wake ups as I call them, making individual things into one huge overwhelming monster. This is called anxiety and we all get it frome time to time. It can actually lead us to not being able to breath, feeling like we are having a heart attack and dying. You can even black out from an anxiety attack.

You are just suffering from “boaters anxiety”, which many of us boaters get when we start thinking of all the crap we need to maintain, including the actual crapper. Take a deep breath and think about all the joy you will have on your newer boat and the rest will fall into place, because,you know more about a boat from your 50 year old Chriscraft, than 99% of the people that own boats. You are a Boater!

Now go live the dream, most only dream about!!!!

This is called compartmentalizing.

Yes, I have learned to separate my worries into two compartments.

1) It could sink the boat

2) it wont sink the boat.

Cat one I worry about and do something about until I am comfortable.

Cat two I research, drink a Margarita, think about it until wife nags me to death, and eventually solve.

Yes, I have learned to separate my worries into two compartments.

1) It could sink the boat

2) it wont sink the boat.

Cat one I worry about and do something about until I am comfortable.

Cat two I research, drink a Margarita, think about it until wife nags me to death, and eventually solve.

This is Compartmentalization perfection! Congrats!

Great looking boat. I am just starting my search. My house is just up the road a bit from you. Perhaps I will see you as I start my shopping.

I'd be happy to help you shop! Actually, it would be good for me to start looking at as many boats as I can over the winter.

That's been a big hurdle to, and I suspect it will be for a while. You (generally speaking) don't think about it, but it's always in the back of my head that it COULD sink.

But then the RV could go up in flames as well, but I never thought about that as much as I think about the boat sinking.

I guess a house could get struck by lighting just as easily, or flood. So apples to apples I guess...

We got hit head on by a Cat 4 hurricane last year, first time in 44 years!!! You just never know. In 2004 it snowed, first time in 104 years!!!!

The fun part is when something you know for sure how to fix goes wrong and lo and behold you can't fix it, your $100. an hour mechanics can't find it. You know exactly how it should work and it really is simple, BUT, your mechanic says sure will be fixed on Wednesday, BUT, Friday afternoon they phone you and tell you that not only is it not fixed but they can't even understand why it isn't working in the first place. B.O.A.T. right!

Just keep in mind that your house was also complicated. You don't necessarily have to know how EVERYTHING works and be able to fix it. There are marinas, tow services, etc. and help is just a phone call or VHF call away. The more you know and can do, the more money you can save, but if you don't know, you can just make a phone call. Trawlers aren't usually far off shore with no help for hundreds of miles. You should be fine.

One of the best things about a boat - is that - it actually has a soul. Talk to your boat and "she" most likely will talk back to you. I don't recommend cussing her out when things don't go just as you planned. Some boats can get real uppity and hold onto animosity if they don't feel love coming from their "Captain/Master"... females can get that way; don't cha know! - LOL

Of curse take all I say above with at least a couple grains of salt. But do be forewarned... there is a female soul afloat under your feet when you are aboard. Caution is the better part of valor when dealing with an inanimate object that displays intimate-animation so easily and so often as a boat! Giving love and care often applied to your boat goes a lot further than throwing out hostile, give a ****kk, negative energy!

Jus sayen! :socool:

:dance: :speed boat: :dance: :speed boat: :dance: :speed boat: :thumb::D

Yes. We’re only leasing this. If I find the perfect boat next month we can move. We aren’t under any obligation.

Interesting arrangement. Doesn't sound like a bad deal...

-Chris

Oh, yes. Many of us have gone through it and understand. We sold our 1965 Owens 28' (single engine, no generator, etc. etc.) that had been just a weekend and holiday home on the the relatively gentle Lake of the Ozarks to live full time on our 78' Gulf Star 44 in San Diego in 2012. Moreover, we soon discovered that the previous owner had been "fix-it-yourself-anyway-that-is-cheap" type and, among other bad decisions, had taken loads of plumbing and wiring repair shortcuts during his 8 years of ownership that our surveyor had missed. Getting a boat this old in top shape for a trip down the Baja was a challenge both $$$-wise and finding-the-right-mechanic-wise but did give us a good opportunity to learn a lot about its operation in a short period of time. Just accept the fact that everything marine costs 3 to 5x times more than you'd come to expect from your years as a homeowner, all repairs will be needed in locations on the vessel that require a contorsionist to reach, equipment always goes haywire at the most inopportune time, cruising on lakes and rivers does little to prepare you for blue water, and you will (probably) be fine.
We are still here and still loving' it.

Interesting arrangement. Doesn't sound like a bad deal...

-Chris

She's a single lady who lived aboard this boat for four years herself. Last year she moved off of it and into a condo. She spent LOADS of money repairing it, replacing appliances, having bottom and top sides done, installing all new canvas and the works.

She's had it up for sale since April, but hasn't had any viable offers on it. This was an opportunity for her to make a little money back on her investment in repairs, and for us to try out the lifestyle.

If we wend up liking the boat, we may buy it next summer. If we don't like the boat, it'll give us an opportunity to know what we do require in a boat, and it may also teach us that we aren't liveaboard people, all while preventing a major commitment to debt.

While we have it I'll be repairing a few more things like some crazing in the gel coat, replacing a failing sump pump, fixing up the audio system etc etc... so that if we don't end up buying the boat she can put it back on the market in better shape.

Kind of a win win for everyone.

Win, Wins always good!

I bought my trawler from little! I think they are good people.
Anyway I might see you around clear lake!

Well tomorrow makes a week on board. So far we haven’t actually had a day off together to enjoy things. Today started out fighting the overflowing toilet, thankfully I have a wet dry vac otherwise I don’t know what’s i would have done. Then I had to move the RV to the shop, sell the golf cart, and get back to the boat for first mate checks from the marine company. I learned where everything was and what I needed to check weekly. After they left I started getting HPF warnings on my AC and the boat quickly soared to 88/89 degrees with just one ac working. Did some research and went to Home Depot for a barb and blew out the lines with the garden hose. Seemed to solve the issue but were only just now back down to 80 degrees, still cooling. It’s been a rough day.

Right now I’m having a hard time enjoying things and can’t wait for Saturday so I can just sit, relax, and have a glass of wine on deck.

Oh we also discovered that the holding tank looks like Swiss cheese. There are 2 to 3 inch holes around the sending unit for the gauge. Repair guys coming out tomorrow to see if it can be patch welded or if we’ll have to replace it with a poly tank.

I’m still not sure we’re cut out for this. We may just be “condo on the water, small weekend trawler” people. I guess time will tell.

Silver lining is that we aren’t tied down to this boat in debt.

ETA... I also sold the dinghy last night. Poor Willy didn’t last long.

Last edited:
Oh we also discovered that the holding tank looks like Swiss cheese. There are 2 to 3 inch holes around the sending unit for the gauge. Repair guys coming out tomorrow to see if it can be patch welded or if we’ll have to replace it with a poly tank.

There are holes in your holding tank??????
Don't you smell it???

You may have a bad experience about living aboard but from what you are posting your issue may be more about the boat you are testing live aboard way of life than the way of life itself.

On the other hand if you think that living on a boat is dream life with just pleasure and tanning under the sun I think you need a good dose of reality, especially with something like a 30 years old boat ( or like)...

For me a boat is nothing different with a house but sitting on water with and engine, 2 different electric circuits, hydraulic circuit etc so you may realistically expect some regular maintenance...

L

For me a boat is nothing different with a house but sitting on water with and engine, 2 different electric circuits, hydraulic circuit etc so you may realistically expect some regular maintenance...

L

I hope one day soon I can say the same thing.

Yes there are holes, no it’s not smellable at the time. It was when we opened the hatches. I have them plugged with rags right now.

There’s just a few things we need to get worked out first, mostly just the holding tank right now. Everything else is functional. Oh I need a sump pump for the aft shower as well.

This is the holding tank situation. The holes are all around the sending unit for the gauge. I might just shove some JB weld on there....

Attachments

• 85B4D280-3921-4FF5-8FDC-8B3E8AD0BBA2.jpg
    85B4D280-3921-4FF5-8FDC-8B3E8AD0BBA2.jpg
    178.8 KB · Views: 40
Back
Top Bottom