What in sam hell have I done?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You can loose and probably do without 90% of the systems on a boat. Plenty of time to learn and repair, on your schedule. In most cases if it breaks, no one gets hurt and life goes on.Thats the way I slow those gears in my head that would create stress from worrying. Whats the worse that could happen.

Preventive maintenance is always a lot cheaper and easier than repair/replace...plus you get to do it on YOUR terms at YOUR convenience. Things only break at the most INconvenient times. Try telling your wife or your guests that no one got hurt and life will go on when they can't flush the toilet or no water comes out of the faucet or the generator won't start so you have no heat/ac when it's cold/hot & humid.

--Peggie
"If you can't explain it to a six year old, you don't completely understand it yourself." --Albert Einstein

This Mainship is a very comfortable boat.

But I envision myself on an older Taiwanese made trawler. Something around 40-50 feet with lots of wood and a couple Lehman 120’s.

The likelihood of that actually happening is slim to none because the Mainship is more of the significant others style.

Did you shop these? I wonder about avoiding leaky teak decks and rotted tanks and a host of problems I've never even heard of? I'd be ok with a single engine too. How to get the most and avoid the worst? Food for another thread I guess.

Stop worrying. You will have plenty of time to learn each system after it quits working. :rolleyes:

Ted

That’s the way I see it. I was overwhelmed when we first moved aboard too. End of the day though, there really isn’t that much that’s critical to the mission. Just figure that stuff out and fix and learn the other stuff when it quits working

Did you shop these? I wonder about avoiding leaky teak decks and rotted tanks and a host of problems I've never even heard of? I'd be ok with a single engine too. How to get the most and avoid the worst? Food for another thread I guess.

I "shop" these all the time! I've only actually been on a few though.

I was wondering who's boat that was. I'm the Prarie right across from you. Not a live aboard yet but I've been going through and learning the systems too. You'll get the hang of it just as I am.

Kevin

I was wondering who's boat that was. I'm the Prarie right across from you. Not a live aboard yet but I've been going through and learning the systems too. You'll get the hang of it just as I am.

Kevin

Howdy neighbor! Come introduce yourself next time you're around. I'd love to see your boat!

I've seen your boat for a while though. I used to work harbor patrol part time at the marina.

Congratulations on the new boat!

Looking at the video, it looks like she is in fantastic shape and was very well cared after by her previous owner. :socool:

Jim

Other than maybe two engines instead of one, buying tires, and the possibility it might sink, what's the big difference between a good sized RV and a similar sized boat?

They both have heating/cooling systems, similar plumbing systems, electrical systems, engines and generators, the list goes on. If you can handle living in an RV for extended periods and managing those systems, a boat should not be that much different.

Provided you're not one of those people who take took your RV to a shop for every little thing and said "Here's my credit card. Call me when it's fixed."

Other than maybe two engines instead of one, buying tires, and the possibility it might sink, what's the big difference between a good sized RV and a similar sized boat?

They both have heating/cooling systems, similar plumbing systems, electrical systems, engines and generators, the list goes on. If you can handle living in an RV for extended periods and managing those systems, a boat should not be that much different.

Provided you're not one of those people who take took your RV to a shop for every little thing and said "Here's my credit card. Call me when it's fixed."

Well, you got me there. I've never thought about it like that.

Well, you got me there. I've never thought about it like that.

Non, excusez-moi, s'il vous plaît.

If you think that the care needs for an RV and a boat run parallel to one another. I've got a bridge to sell you!

Used boat is 2 to 3X as compared to a used RV... for care required over the long run... not to mention $$$$$ expenses of many differing sorts, pressing needs and extents.

:speed boat:

If you think that the care needs for an RV and a boat run parallel to one another. I've got a bridge to sell you!

Used boat is 2 to 3X as compared to a used RV... for care required over the long run... not to mention $$$$$ expenses of many differing sorts, pressing needs and extents.

Now Art, no scaring the guys,they likely have way less to learn and deal with than if the choice had been the "heart over mind" 1980s Taiwanese Trawler.

Now Art, no scaring the guys,they likely have way less to learn and deal with than if the choice had been the "heart over mind" 1980s Taiwanese Trawler.

And... "Don't Worry Buddies"... Boating can [will] be 5X the fun! :dance:

Well obviously they aren't exactly paralell, but they are very similar.

In our RV (which is really a travel trailer) we have both AC and 12v DC systems, we have a 12v fresh water pump as well as shore connections, we have TWO rooftop A/C systems (which lack the water pump, but are just as fickle and susceptible to the elements), we have the entire propane system, we have two fridges (inside and out), we have the waste plumbing, fresh plumbing, and gray water plumbing, and we have all the power systems - tongue jack, slides, awning etc etc.

When we moved into our RV (travel trailer), we didn't know anything about caring for any of these systems. Over time we've learned how to monitor them, change them, adjust them, repair them, and we've even replaced water heater parts.

But I understand what ssobol was talking about.

Bruce,

Check out this boat that is posted locally here. I think you'll like it. ;)

https://houston.craigslist.org/boa/d/1982-island-gypsy-europa-36/6670101612.html
Thanks Art, and apologies to the OP for the drift. That`s the 2 cabin version Europa,mine is one cabin. Really unusual are the 2 80hp Lehmans, 120s were the norm, but some had a single L120, so more power plus maneuverability.
Actually, toocoys should check out the pics to see what they could have taken on in a traditional 80s trawler, remembering the Island Gypsy was a cut above many of the Taiwan boats and closer to GB (says a biased owner:blush:). Keeping up the paint and teak can be demanding, fiberglass is way easier.

Keeping up the paint and teak can be demanding, fiberglass is way easier.

I mentioned in another thread we have boat neighbors with toe rail, pulpit, and most of the aft part of the deckhouse all brightwork. They're covering boards were unvarnished teak. They usually spend some weeks every couple years tending to it all. Usually looks great... for a while.

A couple years ago, they painted their teak covering boards.

This year, they're finally painting almost everything else -- except for the exterior part of the deckhouse (where saloon meets cockpit). Even for that, they've been on the hard for a couple weeks already, a couple more weeks to go... mostly due to prep.

-Chris

I mentioned in another thread we have boat neighbors with toe rail, pulpit, and most of the aft part of the deckhouse all brightwork. They're covering boards were unvarnished teak. They usually spend some weeks every couple years tending to it all. Usually looks great... for a while.

A couple years ago, they painted their teak covering boards.

This year, they're finally painting almost everything else -- except for the exterior part of the deckhouse (where saloon meets cockpit). Even for that, they've been on the hard for a couple weeks already, a couple more weeks to go... mostly due to prep.

-Chris

Thus I rest my case; regarding efforts/capital needed in comparing a sizable boat to a big RV.

You can easily let an RV sit in driveway/back yard for a couple or more years unattended [maybe under a big carport or drape a breathable cover over over it]. Then - when you want to - put the RV back into action in not too many minutes. Also, RV storage yards [if needed to utilize] are about 1/5 to 1/6 the cost of marinas... not to mention transport costs, time and efforts for a boat to change from wet to dry and back and forth, etc.

Try leaving a boat unattended for a couple or more years... wet or dry, cover or no cover... then... try to put it back into service in "not too many minutes". If you are lucky after years of non use a boat may be serviceable again with just a few to several days effort... or maybe a few to several weeks effort??? Not to mention large storage costs for a big non trailerable boat.

Ya simply gotta luv boats/boating to own and care for one [or more] at a time. :thumb:

IMHO, boating is simply more fun, much more exciting, considerably more interpersonal with the vehicle, and some times quite a bit more scary [I like that feature] than RVing. Then again... for sure more costly and time/effort consuming.

Linda and I plan RVing after pleasure boating's needs and responsibilities become too large a burden due to our age. That's years off yet, we think!

We may even rent out our houses and live aboard for a while. Eventually we could always do same for renting and play around in RV land! :dance:

Everything in life is either an income or an expense. It all depends on how much of each you need or can withstand. None of us are coming out of this planet-bound adventure alive... so ... Enjoy making the income and enjoy meeting the expense while having fun along the way. Pleasure boating is FUN! :D

Last edited:
You Got This.

every wire goes someplace and if it isn't connected then it goes in the garbage.
Get one of these and use it to label wires, switches, hoses, valves, etc when you have to trace them out. https://www.zoro.com/brady-portable-label-printer-bmp21-34in-tape-bmp21-plus/i/G6120161/

I also had a Word document in my laptop called "Accumulated Boat Information"...each night I would add some of the things I learned that day AND phone numbers, parts source places for difficult to find parts, repair people I wanted to use again, filter sizes and various part numbers to get the equivalent filter, and on & on.

MS Word is searchable and you can find things quickly.

You Got This...just takes a little time.:thumb:

I never said that an RV and a boat were comparable on a $ to $ basis. My point was that the type, quantity, and complexity of the various systems that are shared on an RV and boat are fairly comparable and that if you can handle one you probably have a fairly good handle on the other.

If you have a 40 diesel pusher RV and you understand the power train and can do the regular maintenance on the RV power plant, you probably can handle the diesel engine on a 40' diesel boat or vice versa even though they are not identical installations.

Same with the plumbing and electrical systems.

Yeah, the boat parts will probably cost more than the RV parts and the boat operating costs are higher, but there are people who have no problem using RV parts on their boats when applicable.

Yeah, the boat parts will probably cost more than the RV parts and the boat operating costs are higher, but there are people who have no problem using RV parts on their boats when applicable.

Most all the parts I put on the Chris Craft were from Napa! And they work just fine.

I never said that an RV and a boat were comparable on a $ to $ basis. My point was that the type, quantity, and complexity of the various systems that are shared on an RV and boat are fairly comparable and that if you can handle one you probably have a fairly good handle on the other.

If you have a 40 diesel pusher RV and you understand the power train and can do the regular maintenance on the RV power plant, you probably can handle the diesel engine on a 40' diesel boat or vice versa even though they are not identical installations.

Same with the plumbing and electrical systems.

True! - Sort of...

Truth of the matter is that boats and RV are different animals... in many ways.

Although both are for some sort of travel and much pleasure/enjoyment their genetic chain is not all that similar.

Sort of like the difference between car and airplane use/travel. Boat and RV also have "use-travel" similarities... but, as car/airplane, they are very different in their specific use-travel context. Therefore, just as the difference between a car/airplane, individualized use-travel proximities as well as care-for details need to be recognized and conquered for boat/RV. Unless, of course, you have ample open check book for pilots, drivers, captains and attendants as well as paying professional sources for all maintenance and repairs. Then ta hell with needing to learn about your car, plane, boat or RV... sit back and enjoy a Pina Colada!! - LOL

Of course if you need to and can learn to work on as well as learn to utilize a car; you can learn to work on and learn to utilize a plane. Therefore you can also learn all that is necessary about boat/RV.

But to feel boat/RV modes of transportation and pleasure are too awful similar... and to believe that as long as you know some things about one means you automatically know enough about the other too... could create problems on terra firma or on the water!

Be careful and enjoy what ever means of recreation/living you are in!

Last edited:

Kevin

That’s a big ole bow when you’re sitting in 9’ of inner tubes...

Attachments

• 9F41D813-A84F-4A19-AE6F-EA35307C3E79.jpg
    9F41D813-A84F-4A19-AE6F-EA35307C3E79.jpg
    125.3 KB · Views: 72
One of the things I've found over the years is that on each dock someone is an expert in some area ( gas; diesel; outboards; electrical; electronics; hydraulics; fiberglass; etc). Within 100 yards of my boat there is one of these guys. I'm the hydraulic guy. We all trade our talents to each other whenever one of us has a problem. It keeps the cost down and we all learn from each other. My best advise is get to know your neighbors.
John

What ever you have - to take care of. Get to be friends with the internet. Answers are there!

What ever you have - to take care of. Get to be friends with the internet. Answers are there!
That's true, I searched for Kennedy assassination and Roswell and found that the truth is out there! :)

L

Probably there are liftable hatches over the engines... even if maybe covered over by carpet...

-Chris

I feel so stupid. I went to bed last night thinking/stressing about trying to find the holding tank.

I had been accessing the engine hole by removing the small stairs to the aft cabin, and realized last night that I completely forgot that the floor on the salon completely lifts up allowing full access! I started laughing to myself!

Attachments

• BACACA61-C30F-47F5-94D7-1E02B3A3907C.jpg
    BACACA61-C30F-47F5-94D7-1E02B3A3907C.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 66
  • 83B3FC49-A53F-4C6C-B223-F3EF09449B02.jpg
    83B3FC49-A53F-4C6C-B223-F3EF09449B02.jpg
    131.2 KB · Views: 60

Art: I beg to differ.

I have both: both are 44', weigh 44000#, have 400 hp.

1980 Taiwanese Trawler, bought in 1994, cared for with regular injections of cash, still worth what I paid, or perhaps a little more. You can't count the cost of upgrades, as it will always need to be upgraded further. We have had many years of wonderful memories from this boat and will continue to have many more.

2007 US built Motorhome. Sliding off a depreciation cliff that is impossible to avoid. If I keep it much longer it will be worth nothing at all, despite regular injections of cash for maintenance and upgrades. Again, many years of wonderful memories.

As for the similarities in the systems, other than names, almost everything I thought I knew about the RV systems, coming from the Trawler world, turned out to be quite different. The learning curve was much taller than I had imagined.

Art: I beg to differ.

I have both: both are 44', weigh 44000#, have 400 hp.

1980 Taiwanese Trawler, bought in 1994, cared for with regular injections of cash, still worth what I paid, or perhaps a little more. You can't count the cost of upgrades, as it will always need to be upgraded further. We have had many years of wonderful memories from this boat and will continue to have many more.

2007 US built Motorhome. Sliding off a depreciation cliff that is impossible to avoid. If I keep it much longer it will be worth nothing at all, despite regular injections of cash for maintenance and upgrades. Again, many years of wonderful memories.

As for the similarities in the systems, other than names, almost everything I thought I knew about the RV systems, coming from the Trawler world, turned out to be quite different. The learning curve was much taller than I had imagined.

"1980 Taiwanese Trawler, bought in 1994" - Already depreciated when purchased. As was/is our 1977 Tollycraft purchased in 2008. Worth now what we paid... maybe a smidge more in dollar value; inflation not considered! - LOL

"2007 US built Motorhome. Sliding off a depreciation cliff" Yup - new [or even almost new] recreation vehicles tend to do that! One hour they are new, shiny and clean worth bundles of cash... couple hours later they are not!

That said - Motor Home / RV costs little to park/store and wet/dry transfer compared to a boat. And, IMO efforts on boat for maintenance is way more than on RV. Several years ago we sold 32' Motor Home that had seen its day. Currently we are keeping our eyes open for another that is already depreciated but in really good condition.

Play toys are real life consumers of capital and some efforts. But, play toys are soooo much fun when operating correctly to provide years of pleasurable good memories! :thumb:

Back
Top Bottom