Old 08-12-2018, 11:56 AM   #21
Scraping Paint

City: nowhere
Y’all... this thing has an on demand water heater!

I crawled in a hole. Couldn’t stand it.
toocoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 12:08 PM   #22
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
What in sam hell have I done?

Quote:
Originally Posted by toocoys View Post
Y’all... this thing has an on demand water heater!

I crawled in a hole. Couldn’t stand it.

On demand water heater is great. Only use power when you need water. OTOH, you don’t get hot water simply when the engine is running...

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 12:43 PM   #23
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Wifey B: I find it hilarious that you now think of the Chris Craft as so simple...after it took you a year to learn it. Think back to day one. Yes, you're there again, but you'll be amazed how the year of learning the other boat helps. Might just take you nine months this time. Then six the next time. The Chris Craft was the huge scary step. Now this one is a small easy move because you've already been through learning a new boat.

I remember going from lake to ocean. At first it felt like I know nothing, but then I realized how much I did know from the lake. I didn't know using a chart, because didn't require one on the lake. However, all the other people worried about docking and that came to me with no effort. Docking a 30' bowrider or a 60' performance boat, no real difference except thrusters to help and didn't have them before.

Now, the teacher in me comes out. Also being a learner. I find learning new things to be invigorating and inspiring and some of the greatest pleasure of it all. We all need to be lifetime learners. Sometimes our jobs become routine or our lives do. That's when it's time for something new, whether on the job or as a hobby. Embrace the challenge. Oh, and the next boat, you'll then look back on the Mainship as being so simple.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 02:50 PM   #24
Guru

City: Annapolis
Vessel Name: Ranger
Vessel Model: 58' Sedan Bridge
Quote:
Ain’t that the truth! There enough room for me to place about three fingers between the tops of the engines and the roof of the engine space - because it sure isn’t an engine “room”.

Probably there are liftable hatches over the engines... even if maybe covered over by carpet...

-Chris
Old 08-12-2018, 03:32 PM   #25
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger42c View Post
Probably there are liftable hatches over the engines... even if maybe covered over by carpet...

-Chris
God I hope so!
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 05:03 PM   #26
Veteran Member

City: Parrish Fl
Vessel Name: Melody
Vessel Model: Mainship 350
You are not alone. Very similar feelings having gone from a simple 26’ to a 39’ trawler. One thing that might help is put your projects on paper or a spreadsheet and prioritize and schedule what to do first. My previous occupation was as a project manager involved with multi year and multi millions of $$$. First thing we did was have a plan and schedule. Kept everything in order instead of trying to remember what’s next. It’s very satisfying and motivating when you cross off a item and see what is next on the list.
Good luck and keep searching this forum for help.
Djoub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 05:19 PM   #27
Scraping Paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djoub View Post
You are not alone. Very similar feelings having gone from a simple 26’ to a 39’ trawler. One thing that might help is put your projects on paper or a spreadsheet and prioritize and schedule what to do first. My previous occupation was as a project manager involved with multi year and multi millions of $$$. First thing we did was have a plan and schedule. Kept everything in order instead of trying to remember what’s next. It’s very satisfying and motivating when you cross off a item and see what is next on the list.
Good luck and keep searching this forum for help.
A list is on my list of things to do! Lol

Thankfully this boat was owned by someone who cared for it greatly. Though she didn’t do any of her maintenance, she’s had a yacht service do bi-weekly maintenance and checks on all the systems. I have a folder full of detailed inventory of things they’ve repaired, adjusted, or installed since 2016.

I’m going to have them out once or twice more to have them show me what they’ve done and where everything is located and then I’ll discontinue their service since I’ll be maintaining it.

I feel a lot better today. I sat on the boat alone for a while today and crawled in a few holes to check things out. There’s way more wire and hoses and such but I feel better about identifying them all in time.

I think the initial shock just kicked in yesterday. It was all fun and games before, now it’s real!
Old 08-12-2018, 06:02 PM   #28

City: Solomons MD.
Vessel Name: Sun Runner
Vessel Model: 1985 Mainship 34 Trawler MK III
toocoys, you'll be fine. Already did all this once. Experience is a great teacher.

We did the exact same thing last year. 1983 Chris Craft Catalina to a 85 Mainship Trawler.
Bigger boat, more systems. Slowly working to make her ours... Electronics, added a water tank. figuring out what goes where...What works, what doesn't. Why there are so many snipped off wires everywhere.. The usual....

It's going to be a great boat...Next year !!!
Solly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 06:08 PM   #29
Scraping Paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solly View Post
toocoys, you'll be fine. Already did all this once. Experience is a great teacher.

We did the exact same thing last year. 1983 Chris Craft Catalina to a 85 Mainship Trawler.
Bigger boat, more systems. Slowly working to make her ours... Electronics, added a water tank. figuring out what goes where...What works, what doesn't. Why there are so many snipped off wires everywhere.. The usual....

It's going to be a great boat...Next year !!!

This Mainship is a very comfortable boat.

But I envision myself on an older Taiwanese made trawler. Something around 40-50 feet with lots of wood and a couple Lehman 120’s.

The likelihood of that actually happening is slim to none because the Mainship is more of the significant others style.
Old 08-13-2018, 09:12 AM   #30

City: Solomons MD.
Vessel Name: Sun Runner
Vessel Model: 1985 Mainship 34 Trawler MK III
Comfort counts !! And when the SO is happy everybody is happy !!!
I'm all for the smallest boat that works for the way you use it.
Everybody has boat envy but bigger isn't always better.. Usually just more work.
I think more bigger boats are sold on the idea that maybe the grandkids will visit, or it'd be nice to invite friends to overnight, or maybe a long trip, then what we use them for 95 % of the time..
Still whatever floats YOUR boat is good !!
Solly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 10:31 AM   #31
Guru

City: AR
Quote:
Originally Posted by fryedaze View Post
You can loose and probably do without 90% of the systems on a boat. Plenty of time to learn and repair, on your schedule. In most cases if it breaks, no one gets hurt and life goes on.Thats the way I slow those gears in my head that would create stress from worrying. Whats the worse that could happen.

Preventive maintenance is always a lot cheaper and easier than repair/replace...plus you get to do it on YOUR terms at YOUR convenience. Things only break at the most INconvenient times. Try telling your wife or your guests that no one got hurt and life will go on when they can't flush the toilet or no water comes out of the faucet or the generator won't start so you have no heat/ac when it's cold/hot & humid.

--Peggie
"If you can't explain it to a six year old, you don't completely understand it yourself." --Albert Einstein
HeadMistress is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 07:47 PM   #32
Guru

City: SchoolHouse Branch
Quote:
This Mainship is a very comfortable boat.

But I envision myself on an older Taiwanese made trawler. Something around 40-50 feet with lots of wood and a couple Lehman 120’s.

The likelihood of that actually happening is slim to none because the Mainship is more of the significant others style.
Did you shop these? I wonder about avoiding leaky teak decks and rotted tanks and a host of problems I've never even heard of? I'd be ok with a single engine too. How to get the most and avoid the worst? Food for another thread I guess.
Boat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 08:09 PM   #33

City: Seattle, WA.
Quote:
Originally Posted by O C Diver View Post
Stop worrying. You will have plenty of time to learn each system after it quits working.

Ted

That’s the way I see it. I was overwhelmed when we first moved aboard too. End of the day though, there really isn’t that much that’s critical to the mission. Just figure that stuff out and fix and learn the other stuff when it quits working
goboatnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 08:12 PM   #34
Scraping Paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boat View Post
Did you shop these? I wonder about avoiding leaky teak decks and rotted tanks and a host of problems I've never even heard of? I'd be ok with a single engine too. How to get the most and avoid the worst? Food for another thread I guess.

I "shop" these all the time! I've only actually been on a few though.
Old 08-13-2018, 08:44 PM   #35

City: Baytown, Texas
Vessel Name: Islander
Vessel Model: Prairie 36
I was wondering who's boat that was. I'm the Prarie right across from you. Not a live aboard yet but I've been going through and learning the systems too. You'll get the hang of it just as I am.

Kevin
tallswede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 08:58 PM   #36
Scraping Paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallswede View Post
I was wondering who's boat that was. I'm the Prarie right across from you. Not a live aboard yet but I've been going through and learning the systems too. You'll get the hang of it just as I am.

Kevin

Howdy neighbor! Come introduce yourself next time you're around. I'd love to see your boat!

I've seen your boat for a while though. I used to work harbor patrol part time at the marina.
Old 08-13-2018, 09:14 PM   #37
JLD
Guru

City: Delaware
Congratulations on the new boat!

Looking at the video, it looks like she is in fantastic shape and was very well cared after by her previous owner.

Jim
JLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 09:44 PM   #38
Guru

City: Southwest MI
Vessel Name: Sobelle
Vessel Model: C-Dory 22 Cruiser
Other than maybe two engines instead of one, buying tires, and the possibility it might sink, what's the big difference between a good sized RV and a similar sized boat?

They both have heating/cooling systems, similar plumbing systems, electrical systems, engines and generators, the list goes on. If you can handle living in an RV for extended periods and managing those systems, a boat should not be that much different.

Provided you're not one of those people who take took your RV to a shop for every little thing and said "Here's my credit card. Call me when it's fixed."
ssobol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 09:53 PM   #39
Scraping Paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssobol View Post
Other than maybe two engines instead of one, buying tires, and the possibility it might sink, what's the big difference between a good sized RV and a similar sized boat?

They both have heating/cooling systems, similar plumbing systems, electrical systems, engines and generators, the list goes on. If you can handle living in an RV for extended periods and managing those systems, a boat should not be that much different.

Provided you're not one of those people who take took your RV to a shop for every little thing and said "Here's my credit card. Call me when it's fixed."

Well, you got me there. I've never thought about it like that.
Old 08-13-2018, 11:55 PM   #40
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Quote:
Well, you got me there. I've never thought about it like that.
Non, excusez-moi, s'il vous plaît.

If you think that the care needs for an RV and a boat run parallel to one another. I've got a bridge to sell you!

Used boat is 2 to 3X as compared to a used RV... for care required over the long run... not to mention $$$$$ expenses of many differing sorts, pressing needs and extents.

Art is offline   Reply With Quote