Old 12-16-2012, 07:55 PM   #101
Guru

City: Trenton
A fantail is an excellent place to share wine and cigars and watch the sun go down.

Don't forget to ask the age old question," I wonder what the poor people are doing about now?".
alormaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 08:10 PM   #102
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Preparing to catch fish.
Attached Thumbnails
DSCF0761 copy.jpg  

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 11:01 PM   #103
Guru

City: Powell River, BC
Vessel Name: Northern Spy
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by manyboats View Post
Preparing to catch fish.
I'd call that a horseshoe stern, myself.
Northern Spy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 05:24 AM   #104
FF
Guru

A round stern , if it has a commercial grade rub rail , is a blessing as it can be used to turn the vessel against a piling or a sea wall.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 08:34 AM   #105

City: Texas
Manyboats, Tad Roberts, Thanks for the responce. Sorry I was so vague. The FANTAIL is on yachtworld, its listed as "Trans World 50" or "Hyatt 50", beautifull boat. Any info on handling, ride, pluses an minuses. We are very attrected to the look. It does have rounded bottom like a shoal draft sailboat. I do value the opion of more experenced yachtsman, any help will be welcome. Ride characteriscts are important. But as we have not been on the water with this we can only quess as to the ride.
Rockyaj1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 09:39 AM   #106
Moderator Emeritus

City: SEWARD ALASKA
Vessel Name: DOS PECES
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockyaj1 View Post
Manyboats, Tad Roberts, Thanks for the responce. Sorry I was so vague. The FANTAIL is on yachtworld, its listed as "Trans World 50" or "Hyatt 50", beautifull boat. Any info on handling, ride, pluses an minuses. We are very attrected to the look. It does have rounded bottom like a shoal draft sailboat. I do value the opion of more experenced yachtsman, any help will be welcome. Ride characteriscts are important. But as we have not been on the water with this we can only quess as to the ride.

Is this the boat?

1999 Hyatt Voyager 50 Trawler Power Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

If so, very nice looking boat!
https://maps.findmespot.com/s/XLJZ#history/assets
ksanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 09:56 AM   #107
Guru

Now I even like that better than the Nordhavn 46. What a beautiful boat. WONDERFUL wheelhouse and view over the bow. And the styling of the wheelhouse from the outside is wonderful too. Perfect power excellent speed. And it's BEAUTIFUL. It even has the crane and dinghy where I want it .. how I want it. But for me it's 15' too big.
Some guys REALLY know how to look at boats.
And thanks for bring'in this beauty to the fore ksanders.

Old 12-17-2012, 10:11 AM   #108

Yes it is and what a beauty. We have concerns as to the ride guality. It looks loke it will pitch and roll quite a bit. Cant seem to find much info about these boats. Seems to be very few around.
Old 12-17-2012, 10:19 AM   #109
JD
Guru

City: New Bern NC
Vessel Name: Stella Di Mare
Vessel Model: Mainship 34t
Quote:
Yes it is and what a beauty. We have concerns as to the ride guality. It looks loke it will pitch and roll quite a bit. Cant seem to find much info about these boats. Seems to be very few around.
My concern would be ride as well. But the engine room seems to have quite a bit of space so why not add stabilizers. $40-50k but if the boat can be bought right and is as good looking in person as it is in the pictures I'd consider it.

In fact I just mentioned it to my wife. Sell the house and move aboard.

M/V Stella Di Mare
New Bern NC
JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 10:40 AM   #110
Guru

Yes it WILL roll. My Willy rolls a lot to quite a bit but I don't mind it 90% of the time and look what I get for put'in up w the roll 10% of the time. Actually I think it's less but in your shoes what if the roll it too much for you you'd be miserable aboard and in that case you'd definitely be better off w a more typical Trawler Box. With beam lacking amidships and beam almost nonexistent aft she's gonna roll.

I didn't mention it before because
A. I was so overwhelmed w the boats perfection and beauty.
B. My boat rolls. It's a part of her and most all the time I just don't notice it.

Active stabilizers are very expensive and Paravanes are kind-of a PITA. And the poles and other rigging for Paravanes would/may take a big chunk of the beauty of this boat w them.

I see she's got a 15' beam and she looks wide in photo #46. Her chines will tell a lot about this issue but I don't see good pics of her bottom. Some "rounded bottom" boats are actually fairly flat on the bottom like a ship and some are just plain round.

Here's three examples of "round" bottoms.

Pic#1 Here is my Willard and you can see that there is a small part of the bottom that is almost flat. This (I believe) gives her considerable stiffness compared to really round boats.
Pic# 2 Here is a really round bottom but it could be even rounder. Willy will "snap back" compared to this heavy rounded fish boat. By the way Spy this is the same boat that I presented and called a fantail stern earlier. Dixie ll.
Pic #3 This is a British Fisher Motorsailer. You can see she's much rounder than Willy. More like the fishboat.
A canoe is often called a round bottom boat but actually it's a flat bottom w rounded (soft) chines.
So what kind of "round" bottom has a profound effect on the nature of a boat's rolling action.

Perhaps this boat in Yacht World should be compared to a 42 Krogen.
Attached Thumbnails
all to 12-15-09 396 copy.JPG   DSCF0151.jpg   STH71255.jpg  

Old 12-17-2012, 10:46 AM   #111
Curmudgeon

City: Stoney Creek, MD
Vessel Name: Moon Dance
Vessel Model: 1974 34' Marine Trader Sedan
I've lusted after these beauties for some time. But, yeah, it would be a "sell the house" type of move. I'm not there yet, just not ready to give up the land base.
BaltimoreLurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 11:08 AM   #112
Guru

City: Adelaide
Vessel Name: Kokanee
Vessel Model: Cuddles 30 Pilot House Motor Sailer
WOW - I could almost live in that engine room.
She's pure class.
AusCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 11:53 AM   #113
Scraping Paint

City: -
Eric-- I'm surprised you like it since it's got that distracting and obstructing bow rail thingy.

Actually, I'm not all that impressed with it. I feel the topsides are out of proportion to the hull (topsides too tall, hull too squat) and those oversize pilothouse windows gave the boat a Walt Disney cartoon look. The bow is too raked for the style of the boat.

Of course being a single engine boat it would never make our short list no matter what it looked like.

Just goes to show you how subjective design is, right?
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 12:15 PM   #114

Manyboats. It dose have a bottom like the pic you sent. you can see her bottom on YW, TRANS WORLD 50 shows a sistership with line drawings and on the hard.
Old 12-17-2012, 12:28 PM   #115
JD
Guru

City: New Bern NC
Vessel Name: Stella Di Mare
Vessel Model: Mainship 34t
Quote:
Manyboats. It dose have a bottom like the pic you sent. you can see her bottom on YW, TRANS WORLD 50 shows a sistership with line drawings and on the hard.
I did a search on YW and can't find but on Trans World and it is a 47.

The link please.

M/V Stella Di Mare
New Bern NC
JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 12:51 PM   #116
Curmudgeon

City: Stoney Creek, MD
Vessel Name: Moon Dance
Vessel Model: 1974 34' Marine Trader Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD View Post
I did a search on YW and can't find but on Trans World and it is a 47.

The link please.
Do a general Google search on Transworld or Transpacific Fantail 50. You'll find stuff. Such pretty boats!

http://tinyurl.com/bu5w858
BaltimoreLurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 01:54 PM   #117

ck YW trans world fantail 50
Old 12-17-2012, 02:06 PM   #118
Guru

City: Flattop Islands
Vessel Name: Blackfish
Vessel Model: custom
I thought it might be the Transworld Fantail you were asking about.

Marin is right, to my eye a horrible boat. It's very interesting that most find her attractive........

I think I've mentioned before that the proportions are key. The house on this boat completely overpowers the hull. She appears top heavy, a very graceful hull married to a typical huge deckhouse....wrong. Stability will be questionable at best. Every one of these I've seen appears down by the stern, they would look better if the trim was right. I'll guess the ballast is too far aft.

The stuff I've seen does not credit any designer (a bad sign) but I believe the marine Illustrator Steve Davis had something to do with this boat......His one and only design (?)
Tad Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 02:47 PM   #119
Moderator Emeritus

City: SEWARD ALASKA
Vessel Name: DOS PECES
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788
Personally I think its a great looking boat.

The pilothouse is aft far enough for some comfort, yet far enough forward to make for a decent sized salon/galley area.

She represents a classic "type B" vessel as described in Voyaging Under Power, Type B designs have the pilothouse and the one of the staterooms double stacked, the salon/galley aft, and cabins forward.

The only thing I'm not overly fond of, is a trait shared by many boats of this design in that the access to the cabins is from the pilothouse taking away from helm area space and making for a steep set of stairs down to the cabins.

This stair arrangment is unfortunately required if you are to have a full width owners cabin underneath the pilothouse. This is again, a pretty standard design.

Another way to make the design work out is to either have a companionway from the salon to the cabins along one side and a narrower master stateroom, as is popular in the Navigator yachts, or to have a center companionway with a forward master, as is popular with many of the pilothouse models including mine.

Another challenge in this type of design is engine room height, and almost all 50' pilothouse boats suffer from it. The engine room is basically beneath the salon area. You can make for a taller engine room by moving the salon deck, and the rest of the boat upwards, or you can make for a deeper hull, but there is only so much downward movement you can get. Boats that have a taller engine room are easy to spot when placed side by side with other boats in the same size, they are taller, either the whole boat, or the height difference between the salon and the pilothouse becomes very small, almost taking away the raised pilothouse aspect. Its hard to tell just how tall the engine room is in this boat because there are no visual references, but its something to consider.

In short, this is a beautiful boat, but there's only so many ways you can design the interior spaces in a 50' vessel.
https://maps.findmespot.com/s/XLJZ#history/assets
ksanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 03:45 PM   #120
Guru

Yes ksanders and they go into that quite a bit in Voyaging Under Power.

But as I've said before the hull is the boat. But then when I get a boat then I start complaining about how it's laid out. Hmmm.

I was wrong about the speed of this fantail. Her WL is too short for max speed form the overall hull length. Same fault is in my Willard and the Nordhavn 46. All would benifit from a much steeper stem. But as it is it's going to be very efficient.